NEX 5n Users, do you have the OLED Viewfinder?

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions
Mechx1009 Regular Member • Posts: 161
NEX 5n Users, do you have the OLED Viewfinder?

I've had the 5n for a couple weeks now. So, I was just wondering how many of you 5n owners have the viewfinder and couldn't be without it.

I am used to composing my photos with a viewfinder, so I was wondering for those who did purchase the EVF,
Was it worth it? Any regrets?

Dana

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,247
Re: NEX 5n Users, do you have the OLED Viewfinder?

I used to use a Nikon D70 and sold it to get my 5N. I bought my 5N nearly 1 year ago. I do not have the EVF. I shoot every day (sometimes hundreds of shots a day) without fail. I can count on 1 hand the number of times where I had to guess at my shot composition because of the sun. But I do sort of miss the intimacy of using a VF.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
dquangt Senior Member • Posts: 2,266
on the other hand...

on the other hand i use the viewfinder each and every time that i go out it seems. i've been taking shots while hiking so many of them are in the sun. however, i also find getting focus is easier while in low light as well.

sean lancaster wrote:

I used to use a Nikon D70 and sold it to get my 5N. I bought my 5N nearly 1 year ago. I do not have the EVF. I shoot every day (sometimes hundreds of shots a day) without fail. I can count on 1 hand the number of times where I had to guess at my shot composition because of the sun. But I do sort of miss the intimacy of using a VF.

-- hide signature --
RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 304

i have EVF and for manual old lenses users, it's really helpful to get the "peaking" focus. Before i bought EVF, my success to the a sharp photos only about 60-70 percent. Now the success rate about 95-98 percent.

But if you don't use manual old lenses, it's really helpful when u do MF in the bright light condition. The LCD sometimes can't generate image with good quality if it face the bright light condition.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,630

Have not purchased. Have had some problems with sunny days, but the sunny day setting for the LCD has helped that a lot. Have had some difficulty finding a good setting for my polarizing filter compared to my last camera that had an EVF.
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,399

If you use manual lenses, and like shallow DoF, the EVF is absolutely worth it, you will use it often.

If you use AF, and often stopped down apertures, the touch screen LCD is easier to work with, and the EVF is overkill.

Bright sunlight is an issue to many, but only if critical focus is to be obtained with shallow DoF.

There is the occasional shot of a person in front of a landscape, or a building, in which the building is sharp and the person is not. The EVF let's you catch this easier than the LCD, either during composition, or during review.

I leave the EVF on most of the time, but other users in the household prefer the camera without it, for it is smaller.

The EVF gives you more color detail than the LCD, especially if ambient light is high. But If you trust the camera's exposure, this is not an issue.

Ymmv

Mechx1009 wrote:

I've had the 5n for a couple weeks now. So, I was just wondering how many of you 5n owners have the viewfinder and couldn't be without it.

I am used to composing my photos with a viewfinder, so I was wondering for those who did purchase the EVF,

Dana

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +36 more
OP Mechx1009 Regular Member • Posts: 161

RezaTravilla wrote:

i have EVF and for manual old lenses users, it's really helpful to get the "peaking" focus. Before i bought EVF, my success to the a sharp photos only about 60-70 percent. Now the success rate about 95-98 percent.

But if you don't use manual old lenses, it's really helpful when u do MF in the bright light condition. The LCD sometimes can't generate image with good quality if it face the bright light condition.

Yes, this is why I'm looking to get the evf, I do some manual focusing at times and it's a pain to see with just the LCD, thanks for the insight.

Dana

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,247

blue_skies wrote:

If you use manual lenses, and like shallow DoF, the EVF is absolutely worth it, you will use it often.

If you use AF, and often stopped down apertures, the touch screen LCD is easier to work with, and the EVF is overkill.

Bright sunlight is an issue to many, but only if critical focus is to be obtained with shallow DoF.

There is the occasional shot of a person in front of a landscape, or a building, in which the building is sharp and the person is not. The EVF let's you catch this easier than the LCD, either during composition, or during review.

Yeah, even if I can barely make out the person because of the sun then I can click on them on the LCD to set the focus for AF. I just don't shoot my manual lenses when I know I am going to be in the sun so I suppose I'd value from the EVF more than I think (i.e., I wouldn't have to compensate and play to my AF lenses only).

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
digidownunder Regular Member • Posts: 398

No intentions of getting the EFV as I am surprisingly happy with this this set up & fun to use,cheers

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,574
Have it, love it, wouldn't live without it...

I bought the NEX3 as a second body backup to my DSLR - I liked it and it filled its purpose...but it was just that - a second body for occasional fill-in duty when I didn't want to carry the DSLR around. I was able to shoot with it, AF or manual lenses, but I felt like I was just using it to save weight or space, not because I genuinely enjoyed using it as much as a DSLR.

When the NEX-5N was announced, I pretty much knew that I wanted to get at the optional EVF - a majority of the reason for making the upgrade from the NEX3 was the EVF. And from day one when it arrived, I knew it was going to transform the NEX experience completely - it was a second body that was much more an equal to the DSLR, and much more pleasurable to shoot with even for every day use, or even preferring to take it over the DSLR some days, not just because of the weight savings. For me, it's got nothing to do with sunlight visibility - it's all about the shooting stance and feel - shooting with a viewfinder is much more natural for me - camera to the face, arms braced more stably, much more steady. I simply enjoy shooting much more when the camera has a viewfinder, it works significantly better for shooting moving subjects, it's much better for me to acquire focus and remain more stable and level shooting with longer lenses - basically, the EVF virtually never leaves my NEX-5N. I may occasionally remove it when I want to go as inconspicuous as possible - 16mm lens, no EVF, camera slid into a jacket or tux pocket for bringing to a dinner party or while on a cruise. But the rest of the time - it stays on there, and the NEX-5N is a wonderful second body to my DSLR - a near-equal alternative I can choose to go light, go small, or just because I want to.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +22 more
kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,655

Mechx1009 wrote:

Dana

me. I have it and couldn't be without it
--

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Pentax *ist DS +1 more
wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

Mechx1009 wrote:

Dana

It is very expensive, feels cheap, but > > > >

it works and is great in bright conditions. The other thing I like is the fact that the EVF for the 5N articulates, which make it easy to use on difficult angled shots.

Is it worth it .. well that all depends on your style of shooting, for me the answer is yes.

wll

tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,447

That has a nice retro look. Where did you get it, or did you cannibalize an on reflex?

Tom

vajrasattva Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

I was in the same boat and asked the same question. Thanks to the invaluable info posted by a couple of your respondents, I bought the EVF. It has not left my camera since and I think I can say of the many many 100s of photos I have taken since, maybe five were taken using the LCD.

The difference it has made to me in terms of holding the camera (with the SEL18-200 which is my no means light weight) has changed a great camera into an awesome one for me. I love the feel of having it there - like the 'traditional way' of taking a photo. I love that you get direct feedback on exposure compensation, I love the way it helps with focusing. Even more I love the stability factor. I took this photo (recently posted) using the view finder. There is NO WAY I could have held the camera steady enough to get the eyes that sharp without the EVF.

I personally don't find it flimsy and I am by no means precious with the way I carry my camera. I just sits in my Krumpler messenger bag with with ever other gear I have with me. Carried it that way for weeks slung over my back while I either biked or quad biked my way around Siem Reap. Only on one occasion did it tell me there was an error - then I just unscrewed and rescrewed it on - no further issues.

So do I recommend it - YES, YES AND YES. Just do it an enjoy what is a great little camera.

vajrasattva's gear list:vajrasattva's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Jagdon Forum Member • Posts: 81

For me it stays on all the time.

The big advantage to me is I need glasses for reading so I would have to put on glasses to clearly see the LED touch screen.

With the dioptic adjuster, I just set the viewfinder for my eyes and have a beautiful clear image without reading glasses.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,544

digidownunder wrote:

No intentions of getting the EFV as I am surprisingly happy with this this set up & fun to use,cheers

That looks awesome! And not too bulky. If the quality is good, I can see why you'd be happy with it. I got a cheapo VF and it doesn't fold up as yours does and the quality is a bit poor -- a lot of CA from a cheap lens making it hard to critically review photos.
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +8 more
vajrasattva Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

Yeah I agree with the dioptics. I wear glasses and the EVF is quite comfortable and useable.

vajrasattva's gear list:vajrasattva's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
digidownunder Regular Member • Posts: 398

tomhongkong wrote:

That has a nice retro look. Where did you get it, or did you cannibalize an on reflex?

Tom

Do a searh for Hasserized Nex 5n,I posted this some time ago for anyone interested.Ive since added a gariz leather & stainless half case.This makes the camera look & feel even better.The only thing I wasnt mad about was the bottom overhang of the finder.The metal bodied Gariz case all but eliminates this with its added base & definately improves handling.It now feels comparitvely naked without it.Its expensive at $90.00 but in my case worth it.

teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

wll wrote:

It is very expensive, feels cheap, but > > > >

It may look flimsy/cheap but it is metal and when bolted into the 5N it is quite solid, feeling like it is an integral part of the camera.

There are many threads about perceptions of this viewfinder. An extreme majority are very happy with the purchase and few find it does not provide the value spent on it.

There are certainly those of us with lenses of equal or greater cost whose "util contribution" by the lens to the owner of this camera system is much less.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
just got mine

very useful for long lenses (the 55-210) as I find it very difficult to "find" my subject with the tele, but I am use with dslr. Very useful for manual focus, and even focus adjustment. I find the autofocus woefully inadequate even with the sony 50 1.8 SEL at wide apertures (1.8, 2). and very useful in bright light. down side in addition to cost, is it slightly increases the bulk of the camera. However, given my comfort and subjective experience with viewfinders in general, its worth it.
--
http://razzi.me/kevindar/photos

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony a6000 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads