Samyang/Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 focus wheel locked

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions
photo_dre New Member • Posts: 2
Samyang/Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 focus wheel locked

So, I dropped my camera bag from a height of a about 30cm from the ground and the bag is cushioned on the inside.

Only after I checked if everything inside was alright and I noticed the focus wheel on my Samyang/Rokinon 35mm locked.
I tried tugging and rotating it but it won't budge.
I was wondering if anyone had this problem before and how he/she fixed it.
Can I fix it myself or do I have to go to a repair shop to get it fixed?

Please help.
Thanks,
Andre

photo_dre's gear list:photo_dre's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC +1 more
rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
focus wheel locked, send it in, don't make it worse (nt)
-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

bugglz Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Samyang/Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 focus wheel locked

Take it to a shop, unless you're willing to risk destroying a $500 piece of glass.

OP photo_dre New Member • Posts: 2

Ended up sending it to the shop.

Just thought it was something easy to fix that didn't require professional assistance.

photo_dre's gear list:photo_dre's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC +1 more
CarVac
CarVac Senior Member • Posts: 1,246

I dropped mine onto a chair from two feet, and the aft focus group gained a millimeter of play and became decentered. A darn shame because when I sent it back to Bower, they replaced it (for $200) with an inferior copy (no play, though). My first copy was incredibly optically perfect, just the lens is not built strong enough.

CarVac's gear list:CarVac's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D
ZoneV Regular Member • Posts: 209

The build quality of the new Samyang lenses is much worst than most of the 200 manual lenses I own. I have read such problems now and then. At a 14/2.8 the infinity setting was away after such a short fall in the bag.
The 35mm seems to break internal very easy.

From my work and repair of my Samyang 14/2.8 it seems infinity and parellity is adjusted and thre screws are srewed in then. On an impact this is very easy no longer adjusted. And I never read about lense Samyang has repaired, it seems they always exchange the lens.

Wonder how many repair shops will deny reparing Samyang lenses.
--
Camera DIY repair and modification linklist:
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/index-en.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads