• better low ISO

• Picture Quality ???

Pro Nex-7

• Tri Navi

• EVF & Flash can be used together

• Size of the Body

• 24MP (is that really necessary ?)

NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Catalin Stavaru Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: Nex-5R or Nex-7

NEX-5R + NEX-7 = NEX-6. So why not the new NEX-6 which is launched at Photokina in a few days. I would not buy a NEX without the new phase-detection AF at this time.

OP delme35 New Member • Posts: 23

Ok that is correct but I do not like the PSAM dial wheel on top of the cam
Hope they will not install it than ok it would be a good alterntive for me.

What will be the Price incl. 1855 kit lense ?
Brgds

henryfeng Forum Member • Posts: 58

My suggestion is to wait for the moment unless you need the camera right now.

If i were you i would at least wait for some reviews of nex5r and coming nex6. I have not heard any test result on the performance of the focus ability nex5r yet. If it is a mayor improvement over nex7 i will defiantly put that into consideration.

NomadMark
NomadMark Contributing Member • Posts: 603

How big are you making prints? Or how much cropping do you plan on doing?

16MP is great resolution. Less noise, too.

Also, less stress on the smaller sensors if you dabble in legacy lenses.

I own a NEX 7. I manual focus most of the time, so the new AF doesn't mean much to me. I also print a lot of my work, up to 24x36 regularly. I've yet to have an issue with my 18MP 7D. I doubt you'll have much with 16MP either. Though the 24MP is impressive...you should be realistic in what you'll use it for.

I may downgrade to a 6 to make use of wider legacy glass. But that's my thing. The only thing I prefer on the 7D is the Tri-nav. But, who knows....the NEX 6 interface could be pretty sweet too!

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +12 more
Scubadu Regular Member • Posts: 137

NEX-5R or NEX-7? I would wait for the NEX-6.

The 5R will most likely be a great camera, but it does not come with a viewfinder. And if you buy the $275 viewfinder, you won't be able to use a flash concurrently.

I have the NEX-5N which is a great camera. The reason for my purchase was that the NEX-7 was not yet available.

mwill New Member • Posts: 1

I have an NEX 5 and the guy I work with has the NEX 7. He has better quality photos, this might be related to his experance with managing setting etc.

mwill's gear list:mwill's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,855

delme35 said,

"Ok that is correct but I do not like the PSAM dial wheel on top of the cam emoticon - sad
Hope they will not install it than ok it would be a good alterntive for me. "

I believe you are reacting to what was really a faked image showing a huge control image on top. That image sort of gives it away. Why not wait a few days to see what the 6 really looks like?

JPG Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

Why not wait for the NEX-7R ? You know it will probably come out in the nex 8-12 months. That's the way the camera compaines do it. Bring out a new model every 8-12 months so it keeps you wanting to buy the latest and the best.

Actually, I wouldn't buy a camera that does not have a viewfinder, that's why bought the NEX-7. I could do without the tri-navigation system, but I can't do without the viewfinder. When I had the NEX-5 I couldn't see through the monitor screen in bright sunlight, and that's where I take about half my photos.

LogCabin Forum Member • Posts: 81

I have the NEX 7 and will be purchasing the 5R also next month. It's a toss up, the 5R will be the latest & greatest but it's hard to beat the good ole 7.

NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136

delme35 wrote:

Hi, if you would have the choice of getting one of these cams which one
would you prefer ???
At the moment I have this "problem" and I really do not know how to
decide.

Hope you could give me some advise...

Here are some PRO of each cam for me.

Pro Nex-5r

• may be better AF

• WiFi

• 16.1 MP ???

• better low ISO

• Picture Quality ???

Pro Nex-7

• Tri Navi

• Size of the Body

I like my NEX-7 it cost a bit, but having to do it over again I still would buy it. (Although the Nikon D600 looks interesting to me too.) Unless Sony adds a touch screen LCD, 1/8000 sec shutter, built in wireless flash commander, tele-zoom feature in video (where I can use just the middle 1920x1080 pixels), 10fps with continuous AF, 1/2000 sec native flash snyc, & faster AF (and may other things)...I won't be upgrading my NEX7 any time soon - which is fine with me, there's some glass I want now (10-18, 24/1.8, 35/1.8)
--
NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 304

delme35 wrote:

Pro Nex-7

• Tri Navi

• Size of the Body

7 also have another weakness, when using wide angle manual lens, the corner tend to get magenta color.

Same as many our friends idea, i suggest you take the 6. Basicly 5r almost the same as 5n but the main different is the LCD can move until 180 degrees. That's all.

and wi-fi? i think thank function really no use. Why? usually people do some editing after taking some pictures in their laptop or computer.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Bruce Bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 572

No matter what seems like the right choice, don't buy anything you haven't picked up and tried in a store or borrowed from a friend or ??? What's right for you can't be decided by reading someone elses experience. You really do need to try them out for yourself.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,372
7 is above 5R or 6

JPG wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't buy a camera that does not have a viewfinder, that's why bought the NEX-7. I could do without the tri-navigation system, but I can't do without the viewfinder.

I agree that the 7's EVF is a huge win... although the tri-navi is darn nice too.

To state the obvious, the 5R and 7 are not intended to be comparables -- that's why the 5 and 7 prefixes. If you can afford a 7 (and the newness of the 5R will tend to make the price gap artificially small), I cannot imagine preferring the 5R unless you need the somewhat smaller size body or the wifi remote control. The 6 will be a closer call -- just as 6 is closer to 7.

The top of the line cameras don't always get refreshed as often as lower models, but when Sony thinks the 7 isn't better than a 6, there will be a new 7. If you can wait for a new 7 -- or 8 or 9 (which might be full frame) -- then you'l get something better still.

For now, careful use of those 24MP gives images that outclass every other APS-C contender, even edging-out the A77. The NEX-7 is actually more competitive with most full frame DSLRs... although it can't touch the Sony sensor in the D800, which bodes very well for future full frame Sonys.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +27 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 18,241

JPG wrote:

Why not wait for the NEX-7R ? You know it will probably come out in the nex 8-12 months. That's the way the camera compaines do it. Bring out a new model every 8-12 months so it keeps you wanting to buy the latest and the best.

Actually, I wouldn't buy a camera that does not have a viewfinder, that's why bought the NEX-7. I could do without the tri-navigation system, but I can't do without the viewfinder. When I had the NEX-5 I couldn't see through the monitor screen in bright sunlight, and that's where I take about half my photos.

I find if you set the LCD to "Sunny Weather" there is no problem seeing it in bright sunshine. The battery runs down faster, but you can always carry a spare.

lim yau tong
lim yau tong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Go for NEX-7 if..

you want good IQ and resolution at low ISO (below ISO 800). Go for NEX-5R if you want low noise at high ISO (up to ISO 3200).

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +32 more
isvana Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Nex-5R or Nex-7 - lets score an answer!

I don't think anyone can advise you unless you say what you want to photograph. If its a "general purpose snapshooter" (no insult intended - that's my usage model too) where any of these features might be of use, you should try adding a score (out of 10) for each differentiating feature, and compute the total score for each camera. Then when you go to the camera store you know what you should buy (but could always buy the alternative if, say, it fits your hands better!)...

Lets try this on your criteria - example scores are mine though so you need to adjust for your needs and desires:

delme35 wrote:

Here are some PRO of each cam for me.

Pro Nex-5r

• may be better AF = 5/10 as we don't do much action photography

• WiFi = 3/10 as the workflow probably doesn't help us much for posting on flickr

• 16.1 MP ??? = 5/10 as this is OK

• better low ISO = 9/10 = useful at dusk and indoors

• Picture Quality ??? = 5/10 as this is so subjective

Pro Nex-7

• Tri Navi = 4/10 as we don't change these too much

• EVF & Flash can be used together = 1/10 as EVF ain't so good in the dark...

• Size of the Body = 2/10 as smaller is better really

• 24MP (is that really necessary ?) = 6/10 OK for some crops

Avg 5r score = 5.4/10 vs Avg 7 score = 3.25/10

So the NEX-5r wins per these criteria - but you may want to add some more (eg NEX 7 has an EVF!). You could also score each camera for each feature to make it more realistic, then you can weight the importance of each criteria as well...

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
OP delme35 New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Nex-5R or Nex-7 - lets score an answer!

Thank you very much Folks for your suggestions and guides. I think before
I will buy one NEX cam I will wait until all tests of NEX-5R and NEX-6
and may the the NEX-7 with updated Firmware will come to the end and
than I will decide

Anyway wish all of you lots of fun with your cams and loooots of nice pictures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads