RX100 - very impressed with DXO Optics

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions
Zebadee69
Zebadee69 Regular Member • Posts: 463
RX100 - very impressed with DXO Optics

I use Adobe Lightroom but recently downloaded the trial version of DXO Optics. Anybody else favour DXO over LR?

Zebadee69's gear list:Zebadee69's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FocalPoint_L Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: RX100 - very impressed with DXO Optics

Here's some observations I made in another thread regarding ACR (which converts Raw the same as Lightroom) vs. DxO using the RX100:

=================================================

My tests -- so far -- based mostly on low ISO sharpness showed:

1. That the Sony JPEGs are pretty darn good and there is little to gain using ACR to pull out more detail. This surprised me.

2. While this "release candidate" ACR knows the basic "op codes" to correct for the large barrel distortion at wide angle, it doesn't seem to have the fine, lens-based corrections to maximize the results and the edges are softer than the OOC JPEGs. It does have this feature for many other camera/lens combinations.

3. The latest version of DxO really "knows" the lens/sensor and corrects for the problems much better than ACR. It applies proportionally more sharpening nearer the edges than the center. I prefer the user interface of ACR and Photoshop compared to DxO, however.

4. It's possible that the final release of ACR/Lightroom will have a fuller set of lens corrections and do a better Raw conversion for the RX100, but this may not be the case.

LR

Sorry--the above post got truncated. Here's the rest:

1. That the Sony JPEGs are pretty darn good and there is little to gain using ACR to pull out more detail. This surprised me.

2. While this "release candidate" ACR knows the basic "op codes" to correct for the large barrel distortion at wide angle, it doesn't seem to have the fine, lens-based corrections to maximize the results and the edges are softer than the OOC JPEGs. It does have this feature for many other camera/lens combinations.

3. The latest version of DxO really "knows" the lens/sensor and corrects for the problems much better than ACR. It applies proportionally more sharpening nearer the edges than the center. I prefer the user interface of ACR and Photoshop compared to DxO, however.

4. It's possible that the final release of ACR/Lightroom will have a fuller set of lens corrections and do a better Raw conversion for the RX100, but this may not be the case.

LR

Alchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,253

I don't have light room but could one of you expert use the FREE Sony data converter export to light room and give us a report.
Everyone seem to ignore Sony data converter.
I know Nikon NX2 convert better than Adobe.

Thanks.

gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,286
cake and eat it too?

is there any way to use both dxo and lr4? undoubtedly a very stupid question because both of them need the raw file, but if you use one of these apps to tweak the raw, there's no way of saving those tweaks back into a raw file that the other app will work with, is that correct? i think in dxo you are forced to export your tweaks to the raw file as jpeg or tiff. but is there a possibility you could tweak in one app, save as dng, and then open the dng file in the other app?

anyway, hope someone understands my question enough to confirm or deny the possibility. i'm just getting started using raw and have a lot to learn about the process. it's just that both dxo and lr4 have very good features for working with raw files and it would be great if i could run my raw files through both of them.

-- hide signature --

/ guy

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more

Good question.

Since the RX100 has been out for a while and ACR/Lightroom and DxO have just recently been updated for it, many users have tried the Sony free IDC.

My take on it (and it seems many others) is that it is inferior. It's hard to use, slow, and doesn't handle noise or sharpening very well. But it will give you the ability to change the WB and exposure after taking the photo, etc.

Try it. You don't have anything to lose. One more thing, it crashes on my system at times when I turn off the NR completely.

LR

armandbogdan New Member • Posts: 2
Re: cake and eat it too?

I gave a quick test to DxO and I did get better results than the ooc jpegs.

I used to use it more but LR got quite good so most of the times I work entirely in LR. However, if I feel I need the DxO I open the raw in it, always do the geometrical corrections, probably the lens softness corrections, and maybe few other touches and export as dng which gets opened in LR and I go from there.

For RX100 I did more adjustments than usual.

nboyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085
+1...

This is SPOT-ON with my observation between Lightroom and DxO. I much prefer the workflow and UI of Lightroom, but it seems to me that DxO may work better with the RX100 raw files than LR. I'm really on the fence whether to buy 'yet another' raw converter. LR has been my converter of choice, but... Cheers! -Norm

FocalPoint_L wrote:

LR

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica X (Typ 113) +6 more
gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,286
Re: cake and eat it too?

armandbogdan wrote:

[del]... if I feel I need the DxO I open the raw in it, always do the geometrical corrections, probably the lens softness corrections, and maybe few other touches and export as dng which gets opened in LR and I go from there.

this seems to answer my question as to whether you can use both products on the same image. i will try this out at the first opportunity. thanks!

-- hide signature --

/ guy

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more

I tried it, seem to work fine and not that slow. I just do the conversion and send it as a Tiff to what ever program for more work.
Noise and sharpening can be done in PS or whatever.
I don't have light room to compare.
Everyone seem to avoid it like the plague.
Since you Guys are so impressed with Light room or DXO just do a comparison.
Just convert the file nothing else.
Sony have the inside track on the Data.

FocalPoint_L wrote:

Good question.

Since the RX100 has been out for a while and ACR/Lightroom and DxO have just recently been updated for it, many users have tried the Sony free IDC.

My take on it (and it seems many others) is that it is inferior. It's hard to use, slow, and doesn't handle noise or sharpening very well. But it will give you the ability to change the WB and exposure after taking the photo, etc.

Try it. You don't have anything to lose. One more thing, it crashes on my system at times when I turn off the NR completely.

LR

Yes, you could use IDC for basic conversion, especially if your exposure or WB was way off, and then do the rest in Photoshop. But completely turning off the NR puts a lot of work on PS to fix. It would be better to use a third-party NR program in that case.

So try this: How does the default IDC conversion compare to the OOC JPEG? Do you gain anything using Raw?

Taking your suggestion, I did a quick default conversion looking only at center sharpness (a complete comparison of 2 or 3 Raw converters is a lot of work). I found that DxO clearly resolved more detail and IDC was slightly worse than the OOC JPEG.

On more thing you could try: Both DxO and the Release Candidate for Lightroom have free trial versions you can download. And since you may have Photoshop, you could download the latest free Adobe DNC converter, set it up for your version of PS and then use the ACR you have in your version of PS.

LR

Thanks for your suggestions. I also want to give rawtheape a shot. I thought it was only for Apples but I see it is also for PCs.

Cheers.

FocalPoint_L wrote:

Yes, you could use IDC for basic conversion, especially if your exposure or WB was way off, and then do the rest in Photoshop. But completely turning off the NR puts a lot of work on PS to fix. It would be better to use a third-party NR program in that case.

So try this: How does the default IDC conversion compare to the OOC JPEG? Do you gain anything using Raw?

Taking your suggestion, I did a quick default conversion looking only at center sharpness (a complete comparison of 2 or 3 Raw converters is a lot of work). I found that DxO clearly resolved more detail and IDC was slightly worse than the OOC JPEG.

On more thing you could try: Both DxO and the Release Candidate for Lightroom have free trial versions you can download. And since you may have Photoshop, you could download the latest free Adobe DNC converter, set it up for your version of PS and then use the ACR you have in your version of PS.

LR

Mike C Senior Member • Posts: 1,856

Great Program!

I've used it with two Canon SLR's, a canon P&S, LX3, LX5, GH1 and a GX1

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Apple iPhone 7 +2 more

Well looks like Adobe DNG with CS5 works best for me. Tried Rawtherape ; over saturated and not very detailed. Sony converter a bit less detail than Adobe DNG. but works good and fast for me.

Cheers.

Alchin wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. I also want to give rawtheape a shot. I thought it was only for Apples but I see it is also for PCs.

Cheers.

FocalPoint_L wrote:

LR

Zebadee69
OP Zebadee69 Regular Member • Posts: 463

FocalPoint_L wrote:

Thanks for that and sorry it took so long to reply, been very busy this weekend.

I definitely like the workflow with Lightroom but enjoy the simplicity of DXO with raw files. I have to agree with many that the Jpegs from the Sony are very good but I do like to PP.

Anyway, I have another 28 days trial to decide whether to buy or not.

LR

Zebadee69's gear list:Zebadee69's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads