Remove scratches from NEX-5 screen ?

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions
valent New Member • Posts: 20
Remove scratches from NEX-5 screen ?

I found this video, and hoped that it would be what I was looking for, but it is not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

It is a nice suggestion if you have not scratched you screen, but what can I do with mine which is already scratched?

How to remove scratches from NEX-5 screen?

valent's gear list:valent's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Apple iPhone 6s
Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: Remove scratches from NEX-5 screen ?

I'm sorry to say that short of having Sony replace the screen, I don't think that there is anything that you can do, if you run across anything that you find that works, please post it here.

I have scratches on mine, I'm getting ready to send it in to Sony. I don't know what the cost will be to replace it as there repair service said they would call and email me with the cost after they evaluate it. I've had probably 8 Digital cameras over the years and this is the first one that I have scratched. It has two scratches. The bad thing is one scratch is almost in the middle of the screen and it shows when composing, especially with lighter subjects or big sky's. I scratched it while changing lens's, was trying to do it too fast.

Leon

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
edwardaneal
edwardaneal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,101

the nex screens have a top layer that is a soft plastic that can scratch very easily. if this layer does get scratched it can be peeled off and replaced with one of the glass lcd protectors that you can buy

here is a video on how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

as far as I know this is the only way to fix scratches

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,212

I would advise against trying to remove any part of the LCD screen. Try polishing the screen using a soft cloth & a creamy metal polish. This should remove all but deep scratches.

Be aware however that it will also remove any anti-reflective coating so when the process is complete fit a coated glass protector screen & it will be as good , if not better , as new.
--
Keith C

Megadark Regular Member • Posts: 232

I don't advice metal polish or tooth paste. Tried them, and they create more scratches. Try car wax or car polish.
--
https://picasaweb.google.com/102349492652392999136

"Pros use handphone cameras and noobs use DSLRs."

Megadark's gear list:Megadark's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +8 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,212

Perhaps I should have been more specific , I used a liquid poish ' BRASSO' & it did the job just fine wihout any further scratches You must use a soft clean cloth.
--
Keith C

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads