DP1 Merrill sample photos on Sigma's site...

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
Robert F. Tobler
Robert F. Tobler Senior Member • Posts: 1,149
DP1 Merrill sample photos on Sigma's site...
 Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more
Sigma DP1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
balchinian Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: DP1 Merrill sample photos on Sigma's site...

Robert F. Tobler wrote:

...enjoy:

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP1Merrill/jp/samplephoto.html

Greetings,
Robert
--
Robert F. Tobler
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1882500020/photos

Thank you!

motionride Regular Member • Posts: 200

What a fantastic eyegasm

Just what I was expecting!

motionride's gear list:motionride's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +23 more
mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,310

Thanks Robert for the heads up! Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R
balchinian Regular Member • Posts: 294

motionride wrote:

What a fantastic eyegasm

Yeah, it looks like the sharpness corner to corner for the DP1 Merrill is as good as the DP2 Merrill, or maybe very slightly worse. Either way, it's EXTREMELY good lens quality on the DP1M. I love the wider field of view and deeper depth of field. But, after envying images of the DP2 Merrill for so long, it's going to be hard to buy the DP1M I've been waiting for, without feeling like I'm missing out on something by not having a DP2M also. Is it asking too much to want both? I guess there's always Santa...

Robert F. Tobler
OP Robert F. Tobler Senior Member • Posts: 1,149
It is not asking too much to want both!

balchinian wrote:

Is it asking too much to want both?

No. Definitely not. I bought the DP2M, and already pre-ordered the DP1M...

Warts and everything... the DP2M is a camera for me.

Greetings,
Robert
--
Robert F. Tobler
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1882500020/photos

Robert F. Tobler's gear list:Robert F. Tobler's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,148
Re: It is not asking to much to want both!

If you crop the 30mm view out of a DP1M image you end up with a 6mp result. You can probably print that rather large and still get good quality.
I think maybe the DP1M can replace both my DP1 and my DP2S.

One thing that worries me is sunstars though, I absolutely love the sunstars from the DP1 and I don't think the DP1M is going to give me the same.
Such as seen here

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II Tamron 24mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,761
Kudos to Sigma… finally!

Finally sample shots for their cameras that look good! There's a few in there with too much HDR like stuff, but there's a whole set that are really good and show the crazy detail the camera can get.

The shot of the cowboy on horse at sunset (cowboy in the middle) is quite good.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

OvinceZ
OvinceZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,732
Best portrait from any camera! IMO.

Very impressive. Almost 3D and superb detail. The old cowboy with moustache and purple plaid shirt.

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP1Merrill/samplephoto/SDIM1520

Wonder what it is like for flowers?
Now on my short list as it is finally affordable.

Vince
--
Everyone is an expert on dpreview!

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
Doubleluca Regular Member • Posts: 135

technically they look (they are) marvellous, but I am wondering why the white balance setting is set on flash for panoramas (O_O).

Also the gree/purple noising is visible on the skyes (for those that know about the problem).

Should my DP1s and Dp2s going damaged, then I will replace with merril, but at the moment their quality/size is good to me.
Ciao

Doubleluca's gear list:Doubleluca's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2s Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +3 more
Johannes Vetter New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Kudos to Sigma… finally!

This camera is pure joy! DP1 until now took care of my everyday shots..

I can´t believe what Sigma has achieved with bringing this ultimate image quality to such a form factor (besides a certain understatement in its design which i prefer). Truly a wonderful tool which really has qualities worth of speaking. Moreover it has actually one of the first wide-angle lenses that fully do the new Foveon justice. Def grab one around Christmas

Johannes

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,169

balchinian wrote:

motionride wrote:

What a fantastic eyegasm

Yeah, it looks like the sharpness corner to corner for the DP1 Merrill is as good as the DP2 Merrill, or maybe very slightly worse. Either way, it's EXTREMELY good lens quality on the DP1M. I love the wider field of view and deeper depth of field. But, after envying images of the DP2 Merrill for so long, it's going to be hard to buy the DP1M I've been waiting for, without feeling like I'm missing out on something by not having a DP2M also. Is it asking too much to want both? I guess there's always Santa...

I think you could crop down to the angle of view of a DP2M and still have a very sharp image.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Raist3d wrote:

Finally sample shots for their cameras that look good! There's a few in there with too much HDR like stuff, but there's a whole set that are really good and show the crazy detail the camera can get.

Here I'll be the contrarian... strangely I'm not that impressed with the landscapes, like the final one. Why the f/5.6? Generally the foreground seems blurry. I've been shooting the DP2Merrill around Carmel and the Big Sur, as you've probably read. The detail the DP2Merrill achieves is really astonishing, but I don't think the landscapes in the DP1M set on Sigma probably do the DP1M justice! Same with the first, second, third nature shots... but then I didn't look at the 'people' shots as closely.

I liked the wheat detail in the cowboy on horseback shot, but the sky was so blah. Overcast white sky? or blown sky?

I'm quite pleased with the DP2Merrill dynamic range; it holds shadow to bright blue sky situaitons very nicely... preliminary I'd say better than the Canon 5DII, which tended to blow out skies more readily for me this past week. Also I frankly prefer my DP2 (and now DP2Merrill ) to the DP1 often for big landscapes! I find the wider DP1 tends to minimize landscapes features too much. Also when I shoot the full-frame 16-35mm lens on Canon, I find myself at the longer end rather than the 16mm FWIW! So that may just be my personal preferences.
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,761
Interesting :-)

SandyF wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Here I'll be the contrarian... strangely I'm not that impressed with the landscapes, like the final one. Why the f/5.6? Generally the foreground seems blurry. I've been shooting the DP2Merrill around Carmel and the Big Sur, as you've probably read. The detail the DP2Merrill achieves is really astonishing, but I don't think the landscapes in the DP1M set on Sigma probably do the DP1M justice! Same with the first, second, third nature shots... but then I didn't look at the 'people' shots as closely.

Well first, I thought hell would freeze over before you would write something like this But always good to see a different opinion with an explanation. It's all good and my compliments on that

Here's what I think - I am going to agree with you that not all shots are great- I see a lot of "faux HDR"- but this is more on the "shot as a photograph, as art" more than the technical aspect. For one I am seeing less banding and less color splotches than the DP2M shots I have seen around, which make me wonder if Sigma was able with the extra development time to tweak the DP1M a little (which means it may be better to skip the first DP2M and get the "version 2" when it comes out probably next year I guess).

To be frank I think they are showing a lot of detail in these shots, and sometimes I have noticed that some DP2M shots have gone into the "too much detail that it looks over sharpened" actually hurting the photograph (though something easy to take care off, just slide the sharpness down a bit).

However, if you want to see a good example of "ultimate detail" from the DP1M samples check out the shot of the horse saddles. I would even say that shows to me more detail than many shots I have seen with the DP2M. It really shows what I would expect be "foveon detail." On the people shots you also see it in the clothes.

I liked the wheat detail in the cowboy on horseback shot, but the sky was so blah. Overcast white sky? or blown sky?

There's one sky (the first) that is O-K. I'll agree with you with the last one I think it is. However I will note, that's more or less some of the skies I have seen with the DP2M also.

I'm quite pleased with the DP2Merrill dynamic range; it holds shadow to bright blue sky situaitons very nicely... preliminary I'd say better than the Canon 5DII, which tended to blow out skies more readily for me this past week.

To be frank, I am seeing the new sensor so far from the shots I have seen has less dynamic range than the previous DP2/SD14/DP1 one. I am seeing more blow out situations and the shadows definitively seem to have suffered on the new sensor (color splotches more readily apparent, even in the shot as -is).

Also I frankly prefer my DP2 (and now DP2Merrill ) to the DP1 often for big landscapes! I find the wider DP1 tends to minimize landscapes features too much.

Well ok, but that's entirely another issue That's a "Lens preference." I also prefer the focal length of the DP2/DP2m but that's me for street life. I will say I was surprised they got the portraits they got with the DP1 and that focal length, looks better than I expected (which I mean I need to learn more about shooting a portrait at wide angle ).

Also when I shoot the full-frame 16-35mm lens on Canon, I find myself at the longer end rather than the 16mm FWIW! So that may just be my personal preferences.

Yup! It's the "eye" you prefer to shoot with. The lens. I am in love with the 42mm-50mm focal length (my Q has a 47mm equiv). I loved my DP2 focal length.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,857

Hello

Yes, the last one (SDIM1346) looks ugly. The reason, i guess, is the bad processing:

Exposure Compensation : -0.8
Contrast : +0.4
Shadow : -0.8 (?)
Highlight : -0.6 (?)
Saturation : +1.4 (??)
Sharpness : +0.6 (??)
X3 Fill Light : +1.3 (???!!)

It makes no sense to darken the image with Exposure -0.8, Shadow -0.8, Highlight -0.6 and then add too much fill light.

The photographer seems not to have much experience processing images of the new Sigma cameras.

Maceo

SandyF wrote:

Here I'll be the contrarian... strangely I'm not that impressed with the landscapes, like the final one. Why the f/5.6? Generally the foreground seems blurry.

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,115

There may be processing issues with the sky shots. Although not as much of a problem as with the SD1/M, the DP1/2M still have issues with boosting contrast in the sky. A noise-reducer helps. But in the past, Sigma Japan has had a strong preference for SPP-only edited images.

R
--
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.silveroaksranch.com
http://www.pbase.com/rickdecker

adegroot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,061
On the fence....

I think it's a kind of mistake by Sigma to ask just one guy to beta test the camera (or was it a production unit ????) and put one style of images on the net. Yes, it can do portraits, apparently, but who would buy a wide-angled DP1M for portraits? Something doesn't seem quite right to me with the choice of samples.

Anyway, this is not an attack on the photographer, but the presentation by Sigma leaves me unfulfilled. I want to see a large variety of weather, subject matter, etc.

So far, and unless more samples tell me otherwise, the DP2M's resolution/sharpness seems significantly better (and that's not a problematic issue as I see it), I am suspending further observations.

adegroot's gear list:adegroot's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD15 +13 more
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,761

As a whole I'm not that impressed, still way too much noise and banding in the sky. And the "artsy" PP look tends to showcase the photographer more than the camera. You can also tell that the edges aren't as crisp as the DP2M, though that's hardly suprising given the increased difficulty of designing a wide angle lens. And, as someone else mentioned, the last one is a mess.

I wish Sigma would get someone more skilled at handling Foveon files and QC these images before posting such poor quality examples. You can't just hand a Foveon chipped camera to someone who's never used one before, no matter how "professional" of a photographer they are and expect high quality results. It's just too difficult of a chip to learn how to get the best out of overnight.

I became attracted to Sigma from looking at Olga's photographs, and from what I've seen she's still the highest skilled Foveon photographer around. Why Sigma doesn't hire her to do more advertisments for them I don't know, but the results would be of much higher quality and showcase the sensor's ability much better.

Despite the less than stellar examples I'm guessing that the camera is just fine and will produce excellent images with the proper post processing , and though the lens will probably prove to be less perfect than the DP2M's one, it will still be sharp enough to please most.

PrebenR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,164

motionride wrote:

What a fantastic eyegasm

Eyegasm, yeah that is the most accurate word I have heard for some time!

Crap, I need to save up for the DP1 Merrill too...

-- hide signature --

AF takes away the Zen in photography

SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

What I truly don't understand is why the photog (or hopefully not, the camera if in P mode) chose f/5.6 for big landscapes... Yes, I might choose f/5.6 if I have foreground moving in wind and need to keep a very high shutter speed, but that doesn't seem to be the case on these landscapes. FWIW I've been shooting the DP2Merrill landscapes at f/11 (very bright light situations) or f/9 or f/8 normally or taking aperture down to f/7.1 ......

I'll get some more stuff up online (rocks and ocean, ocean and rocks LOL) from Big Sur and 17-Mile Drive (and up the coast from Carmel to Route 92 at Half Moon Bay Wednesday) as soon as possible.

Some f/11 or f/7.1 samples
f/11

f/7.1

large sizes and full EXIF on flickr link below
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, new DP2Merrill photos)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads