Canon 70-300mm L for $185....damn ethics.

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions
Nathan F Regular Member • Posts: 116
Canon 70-300mm L for $185....damn ethics.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it would be amusing. I ordered a Canon 60D 18-200mm kit for a friend of mine from Amazon.com. They had/have a deal going to also get the 70-300mm IS for $185 after $250 instant rebate, so I ordered that as well.

It all came today, and lo and behold, what do I find? A nice shiny new 70-300mm L lens worth $1400 in the box! It seems the Amazon picker made a big mistake when putting my package together on the line.

Being the somewhat ethical person that I am, I just wrote Amazon to let them know. If it was a $100 or less I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I don't think I would have felt good about pocketing a $1000 mistake. I did say in my e-mail though that I would be more than happy to keep the lens....;-)

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
graphikal Senior Member • Posts: 2,783
Don't return... I'll give you $195! (nt)
n/t
rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595
Re: Canon 70-300mm L for $185....damn ethics.

Believe me, you are doing the right thing by letting amazon know.

Nathan F wrote:

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it would be amusing. I ordered a Canon 60D 18-200mm kit for a friend of mine from Amazon.com. They had/have a deal going to also get the 70-300mm IS for $185 after $250 instant rebate, so I ordered that as well.

It all came today, and lo and behold, what do I find? A nice shiny new 70-300mm L lens worth $1400 in the box! It seems the Amazon picker made a big mistake when putting my package together on the line.

Being the somewhat ethical person that I am, I just wrote Amazon to let them know. If it was a $100 or less I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I don't think I would have felt good about pocketing a $1000 mistake. I did say in my e-mail though that I would be more than happy to keep the lens....;-)

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
Herb Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

You should always do the right thing.......it is easier to live with yourself.....
--
Herb Turner

Herb's gear list:Herb's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +8 more
OP Nathan F Regular Member • Posts: 116

You guys are really going to hate me - Amazon just told me I can keep the lens. God, I love that company as much as any man can love an evil corporation.

AShimon Contributing Member • Posts: 797

Nathan F wrote:

You guys are really going to hate me - Amazon just told me I can keep the lens. God, I love that company as much as any man can love an evil corporation.

You did the right thing. That's more than enough to make me happy.

pentel Regular Member • Posts: 453

It reminds me of the story which the man dropped an axe into the lake..

pentel's gear list:pentel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
JBeamer New Member • Posts: 13

you lucky SOB!!! I would have REALLY struggled with that decision.....but your honestly was definitely rewarded!

JBeamer's gear list:JBeamer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM

??? not familiar with story - please share.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM
AC1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171

One of Aesop's fables....

The Greek version of the story tells of a woodcutter who accidentally dropped his axe into a river and, because this was his only means of livelihood, sat down and wept. Taking pity on him, the god Hermes (also known as Mercury) dived into the water and returned with a golden axe. Was this what he had lost, Hermes asked, but the woodcutter said it was not, and returned the same answer when a silver axe was brought to the surface. Only when his own tool is produced does he claim it. Impressed by his honesty, the god allows him to keep all three. Hearing of the man's good fortune, an envious neighbor threw his own axe into the river and wailed for its return. When Hermes appeared and offered him a golden axe, the man greedily claimed it but was denied both that and the return of his own axe.

JBeamer wrote:

??? not familiar with story - please share.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
dodgyexposure Regular Member • Posts: 240

. . . and that's why we don't trust gods.
--
Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +8 more

thank you

golfgti2012 Regular Member • Posts: 128

you should not contact AMAZON. the guy who pack the wrong item will be fired or fined.

golfgti2012's gear list:golfgti2012's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sony Xperia Z2
Vinci71 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Well, it seems at least sometimes honesty pays off

Vinci71's gear list:Vinci71's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +22 more
brian1366 Contributing Member • Posts: 514

golfgti2012 wrote:

you should not contact AMAZON. the guy who pack the wrong item will be fired or fined.

Amazon would have figured it out in time. They have the most advanced computerized inventory systems in the world. They would have figured it out next time they do an inventory check of the 70-300 L lenses and probably traced it back to this order.

brian1366's gear list:brian1366's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,763
I'm glad this was the happy outcome.

No reason to hate you. Good to hear that honesty paid off.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 529

golfgti2012 wrote:

You are totally wrong. Nathan did the right thing. The person who made the mistake has to own up to it. Maybe if they behave with honesty and integrity like Nathan did Amazon management would treat them well. We all make mistakes.

As for Amazon, this has got them a lot of free publicity and will gain them good will, which for a company is priceless. On the whole I don't like big corporations, but Amazon I feel does truly deliver the customer care it promises, so I view the company as being different to most big companies. I had a kindle reader that had dead pixels, the exchanged it immediately. Try to get an exchange of an Apple product directly from Apple and you will probably die of old age before they agree to it.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +6 more
gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,736

You did the right thing. The do unto others rule still applies.

Dan

Nathan F wrote:

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr. Senior Member • Posts: 1,101
May God bless you, Nathan, and may we have more people like you!
-- hide signature --

'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
http://www.pbase.com/arodri3

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +4 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421
Re: May God bless you, Nathan, and may we have more people like you!

You did the right thing Nathan. As well as a new lens you also got a lit of respect. Honesty is it's own reward.
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads