K30 - DPR Sample Images

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,986
K30 - DPR Sample Images

Nice to see DPR posting the new test sample images for the K-30. One can argue the merit of pixel peeping comparisons, but I'd say, it looks pretty darn good nonetheless at ISO 1600 RAW. I'm impressed, or perhaps DPR posted the wrong version once again (as they did for K-01) ? :

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rosember Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Re: K30 - DPR Sample Images

The samples look good to me, too.

Nevertheless, everyone should be careful not to overemphasize differences in sharpness because the exact point of focus varies from camera to camera.
--
Jan

My photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosember/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
Alwina H Regular Member • Posts: 327

Indeed, as the D800-part shows.

I hope that the K30 will be a home run for Pentax. Last weekend I had a Nikon 5100 in my hands and when I looked through the viewfinder... I was so glad with mine!

Rosember wrote:

Nevertheless, everyone should be careful not to overemphasize differences in sharpness because the exact point of focus varies from camera to camera.
--
Jan

My photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosember/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/

-- hide signature --

A.

ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

rogerstpierre wrote:

Nice to see DPR posting the new test sample images for the K-30. One can argue the merit of pixel peeping comparisons, but I'd say, it looks pretty darn good nonetheless at ISO 1600 RAW. I'm impressed, or perhaps DPR posted the wrong version once again (as they did for K-01) ? :

The queen of heart in the back is not the main focus of DPR studio shots. It's out of focus, especially in larger sensor cameras with smaller DOF.

If not, Pentax 645D is the worst camera ever made in history if you are just looking at out of focus queen of hearts in the back

loco77 Regular Member • Posts: 196

Does anyone know what lens was used for this test? Wouldn't the lens used have a pretty big effect on sharpness at any ISO?

I love my K-30 and it's nice to see it perform so well in this test.

loco77's gear list:loco77's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
OP rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,986

loco77 wrote:

Does anyone know what lens was used for this test? Wouldn't the lens used have a pretty big effect on sharpness at any ISO?

DPR uses a DFA-50mm Macro set at f/8 (arguably one of the sharpest lens/aperture combo currently available off-the-shelf). Conversely, the D800 shots are taken with a 85mm 1.8 set at f/11. DOF shouldn't be an issue at this setting in theory. Regardless, it doesn't make the K-30 any worse if the FF are at a slight disadvantage wrt DOF (though I have my doubts at f/11 that the background is out of focus), it still looks pretty good to me.

I love my K-30 and it's nice to see it perform so well in this test.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
loco77 Regular Member • Posts: 196

Great thank you for that info! I always wondered what lens they were using!

rogerstpierre wrote:

DPR uses a DFA-50mm Macro set at f/8 (arguably one of the sharpest lens/aperture combo currently available off-the-shelf). Conversely, the D800 shots are taken with a 85mm 1.8 set at f/11. DOF shouldn't be an issue at this setting in theory. Regardless, it doesn't make the K-30 any worse if the FF are at a slight disadvantage wrt DOF (though I have my doubts at f/11 that the background is out of focus), it still looks pretty good to me.

loco77's gear list:loco77's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
thhoong77 New Member • Posts: 11

No doubt, it does look very impressive for the JPEG output.. (if there is no error is posting the wrong results / picture) I doubt it because when you compare another K30 with different ISO side by side.. the results did start degrading when comparing ISO3200 with the lower ones but the difference is just so little unless you put them side by side... Wonder how the rest will fare in terms of dynamic range etc... This is one fine camera with so much in it..

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,927

Thanks Roger - the Jpeg output of the K30 is most impressive IMO.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,927

Actually the K30 is back focused same as K5 was but doesn't take anything away from the output - very good, seems to be about same as K5 in fine sharp.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more
glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Ignore the queen of hearts.

Andy has to explain this every now and then, as recently as yesterday in fact.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=42364571

Should make things more clear.

glanglois's gear list:glanglois's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads