Sold all my Nikon gear...

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions
ShelleyD Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Sold all my Nikon gear...

Posted off to new buyers today...

Only camera is now Oly EM5....

Having been a Nikon person for so long, it's a bit scary!

Need lots of reassurance even though I know it makes sense...

Now also need to buy more lenses (currently have 12-50 and 45 1.8). Nothing like buying lenses to cheer oneself up!

papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
Fear not....

ShelleyD wrote:

Now also need to buy more lenses (currently have 12-50 and 45 1.8). Nothing like buying lenses to cheer oneself up!

No need to fear :), the OMD is excellent, truly a pocket battleship of a camera and those two lenses are a very good start, especially the 45mm which will surprise you, I guarantee it :).
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
OP ShelleyD Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: Fear not....

Thank you for that reassurance!!!!

Hoping to shoot some great images with it.

At the moment, still figuring it all out! The problem is that auto is so good in the meantime, I can't let that make me a lazy photographer!

Just ordered the 25 1.4 Hope that will be a fun street photography lens.

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,901
Re: Sold all my Nikon gear...

I don't think there is a good answer here other than your own :). My OMD certainly gets more use than my DSLR but there are times when the DSLR gear is just better - and when I do use it I'm always reminded why I don't want to get rid of it. Many others have sold their DSLR system and never looked back. It really depends on how much you relied on the features that your Nikon offers that are either not as good or not available in the OMD-PDAF, specialty lenses, DoF, CLS, etc.

Nikko aus London Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Hi Shelley

You're in good company. I sold this lot:

and replaced it with this lot:

I had a good month so added an Oly 12mm f/2.0 and 75mm f/1.8 to the collection you see. My Pany 14mm f/2.5 is heading for Ebay also.

Can't fault the output from the new camera vs the old Nikon kit.

Nikko

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more

I recognise so many of those lenses you sold - I sold them too!

Hope you have fun with your new lenses!

What have you learned about your EM5 that would be helpful shooting settings or tips for me and others who have just got one?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more

This is a useful thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=42140214

All about OM-D AF behaviour.

N

Thanks. yes I saw this - very useful way of dealing with all those menus and having a start at some good in camera settings.

Cheers.

And this guy has written some very useful stuff and is also a good resource for other content:

http://www.photographyisfun.ch/O-MD/Links_Page/Links.html

N

dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 871

I sold a D700 2 years and can't see myself going back to Nikon now unless in the unlikely event I ever need to do fast actions sports before m43 do a hybrid AF (or CD-AF technology manages to advance) which is surely only one generation away anyway. Overall results with the E-M5 are virtually on a par taking into account the advantages with IBIS etc. I find this sensor probably closer to the D700 than the GH2, esp. in DR.

David

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +4 more

You should really look into using legacy lenses to complement the native m43 range. See this thread for examples: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=42135586&changemode=1 but a quick search in this focus using the term "legacy" will yield loads more. See also http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55/0

I bought myself a Zeiss Sonner 135mm f/2.8 (attached to the OM-D in the photo above) and it produces amazing results. There's nothing in the native range that matches its quality IMHO. Folks here have also posted great shots taken with the legacy Canon FD range but there's amazing variety that works with your new camera at low, low $$$.

And, of course, thanks to your new camera's IBIS, all of these old lenses are now fully stabilized.

N

jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

Sold all my Nikon stuff as well - D2X, 70-200, etc... I don't miss it. You will quickly find that you won't either.
--
http://jcharding.zenfolio.com/

jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D +12 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 8,207

Cheer up, I felt much the same when my last parcel of canon gear left the house.

I felt much better on Sunday when I hiked for about 90 minutes with full kit, + food + weather gear in my small back pack, then spent 5 hours shooting powerboats and got home feeling none the worse for wear. (80% keepers too!)

I wouldn't have even tried it with the same bag just full of canon kit

You will soon have a Eureka moment which will bring a contented smile to your face

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro +3 more
Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Felt the same after selling my Canon gear

ShelleyD wrote:

. . . I've bought some expensive lenses that I wouldn't have been able to afford without the money from selling off the DSLR equipment.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,601
It gets less scary

the more familiar you get with the OMD. Aside from it's outstanding feature set, and ignoring the possible complex setup, it is quite the tool. Capable of all things the big boys can deliver short of high speed tracking of subjects. I prefer the color rendition and find overall sharpness superior. I've been a pro DSLR guy since the late 90's but now am enjoying the lessor load on my shoulders and arms. The gripped OMD fits my hands like it was made for them. I enjoy the kit 12-50 and find the 45mm f1.8 and 75-300 equal to any pro glass I've used thus far.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +8 more
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

I recently purchased a Nikon D800 w/24-120mm f/4 which I love, and sold my D300 with all my DX lenses. My D800 will however probably be my last FF or large DSLR; it's just too big and heavy to carry around on trips. I also have an OMD with a 45mm, 40-150mm, 20mm and I'm looking at getting the 75mm and 12mm to complete my line.

The OMD is just a fantastic camera with beautiful IQ.

-- hide signature --

Allen
"Easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
-- Frederick Douglass

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Everdog Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
OMD does it all...

I would never claim the OMD does everything the best, but it really can do almost anything very well.

That tiny 45mm lens is pretty amazing, and I was shocked to see how well the "average" 12-50mm kit lens does with macros...it transforms in to a very sharp lens.

Killiak772 Forum Member • Posts: 63

I'm Nikon boy too... I bought OMD with many prime lenses and i'm very happy with the IQ and general feeling.

Said that i think mirrorless at the moment can't sobstitute high grade DSLRs for everything at the moment.

As always depends on what you need, if your pictures are about family or travelling OMD will do the work but if you orientation is sports and especially fast action sports DSLRs has still the edge.

Killiak772's gear list:Killiak772's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
RobbieV Contributing Member • Posts: 506

Been there, done that! Sold a D300, D7000, and a bunch of lenses. I was always the kind of guy that took my dslr everywhere, but now it's MUCH easier! I don't see any drop off in IQ and the form factor is allowing me to be more creative, so my photos are getting better.

I still have a D3100, but that is pretty much for my wife. She just started getting comfortable with that camera and I didn't want to take it away from her.

If $$ wasn't such an issue, I would have liked to have been able to hold on to the D300 for those rare moments I shoot sports. I may pick one up again in the future if the need arises.

Enjoy your new system!
--
Robbie
OMD EM-5 | D3100
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rvaughn
http://www.pixbyrob.com

RobbieV's gear list:RobbieV's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads