d5100 af-on + af-c and focus issues

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions
ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 443
d5100 af-on + af-c and focus issues

Hi, I believe I set the focus point (at the below photo) to her right eye but the machine clearly made the focus to her right finger.

I used the af-on system for focusing and because it is a kid's photo (not a stable subject) ,the focus mode was af-c and 9 point dynamic area mode.

I should have been holding the af-on button (not to lose the continious focus) while I pressed the shutter.

Just wanted to ask what did I do wrong so that the focus was not at the eye.
camera is d5100.

can it be related with a3 settings (I believe it was set to off)
or with af-c priority? it was set to release...(should it be set to focus??)

thank you
Melih

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Zein New Member • Posts: 4
Re: d5100 af-on + af-c and focus issues

were you using the viewfinder or on liveview mode?

M Zein's gear list:M Zein's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Bailey151 Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

ocean76 wrote:

camera is d5100.

I can't say it's wrong & maybe I'm just old school but I never let the camera choose focus - I'm more of a "you'll focus where the heck I choose" = single point.

OP ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 443

viewfinder...

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,574
Wrong camera for your settings?

ocean76 wrote:

Hi, I believe I set the focus point (at the below photo) to her right eye but the machine clearly made the focus to her right finger.

I used the af-on system for focusing and because it is a kid's photo (not a stable subject) ,the focus mode was af-c and 9 point dynamic area mode.

I should have been holding the af-on button (not to lose the continious focus) while I pressed the shutter.

camera is d5100.

It really depends. The AF-sensors are not the size or shape of the focus boxes in the viewfinder so it can easily have locked onto a different contrast than the one you intended. AF-C is very quick so cam momentarily switch lock as fast a you can press the shutter release. I have not used the D5100 so can't tell if that was the best setup for the shot. But it appears you simply missed focus that time. It happens.

Menu a3 on the D5100 has no bearing in this case. It is not a range finder function.

You could set it to focus but it would have made no difference as it was focused at the time, just not on what you wanted. Also, there is no AF-Area mode "9pt" with the D5100. Are you using settings meant for the D7000? If so, that can be causing problems. What do you have menu f2 set on?

Also.... go here http://www.dpreview.com/members/settings/profile

And under the "Privacy and Safety" tab check "Allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery" That way we can download the pic to ViewNX2 and check the camera settings you used. That assumes you uploaded pics/files as they came from the camera vs any change in Photoshop or the like. Was this the pic just as it came from the camera or is it a crop?

OP ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: Wrong camera for your settings?

Mako2011 wrote:

Menu a3 on the D5100 has no bearing in this case. It is not a range finder function.

You could set it to focus but it would have made no difference as it was focused at the time, just not on what you wanted. Also, there is no AF-Area mode "9pt" with the D5100. Are you using settings meant for the D7000? If so, that can be causing problems. What do you have menu f2 set on?

And under the "Privacy and Safety" tab check "Allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery" That way we can download the pic to ViewNX2 and check the camera settings you used. That assumes you uploaded pics/files as they came from the camera vs any change in Photoshop or the like. Was this the pic just as it came from the camera or is it a crop?

Hi Mako, thx for your help.

Ive just checked allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery...thx for your warning.

Yes it is a crop photo, the original was very big in size.

I have both d5100 and d7000...and this photo was taken with d5100 with af-c + dynamic af-area mode...
thx again

Mako2011
Nothing wrong

ocean76 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Hi Mako, thx for your help.

Ive just checked allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery...thx for your warning.

Yes it is a crop photo, the original was very big in size.

I have both d5100 and d7000...and this photo was taken with d5100 with af-c + dynamic af-area mode...
thx again

No problem. Now that I can see all the data. It looks like the camera simply never locked focus. EXIF data shows the AF-C system was simply in transition and hadn't locked focus yet. Not a malfunction just a normal missed focus as things happen fast sometimes. Every thing is actually working like it was supposed to...the finger just got in the way for a sec

jcockeri Forum Member • Posts: 66

What Focus Area mode did you use? Auto Area, Single Point or 3D?

I think you should have used 3D, selected the right AF area using the multi-selector and then shot. The 3D would help to follow the any movement in the subject and should hold the focus point on the area you selected.

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

jcockeri wrote:

I think you should have used 3D, selected the right AF area using the multi-selector and then shot. The 3D would help to follow the any movement in the subject and should hold the focus point on the area you selected.

The OP has already stated his/her focus set-up. I would never use 3D for that shot.

jcockeri Forum Member • Posts: 66

What would you use?

Mako2011
EXIF

jcockeri wrote:

You should take the time to look at the EXIF. Single and AF-C

Focus had not locked yet so it was a technique error and not a mode error. AF-Area mode "3D" would not have helped here and not the best mode over "single".

genece Forum Pro • Posts: 15,433

I would not attempt to tell someone how to use their camera..........But ever since my first dslr, dynamic area causes me nothing but trouble.
Perhaps try with dynamic area off.
--
Gene from Western Pa

http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ 30
D50 ....D80.....D7000 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS

Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

genece's gear list:genece's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
Mako2011
he didn't

genece wrote:

I would not attempt to tell someone how to use their camera..........But ever since my first dslr, dynamic area causes me nothing but trouble.
Perhaps try with dynamic area off.

He didn't use dynamic area. That was already pointed out

jcockeri wrote:

What would you use?

For people/portraits, generally AF-C, single or 9 point, depending on how still the person is. Frame the shot, select the desired focus point, focus and shoot.

genece wrote:

I would not attempt to tell someone how to use their camera..........

Then what would the purpose of getting advice from others on a forum like this be?

Mako2011
That simple

nfpotter wrote:

jcockeri wrote:

What would you use?

For people/portraits, generally AF-C, single or 9 point, depending on how still the person is. Frame the shot, select the desired focus point, focus and shoot.

Well said!

It really is that simple and leads to really high keeper rates (a3 set to off) with just a little attention to what is going on in the viewfinder.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads