defected EM5 or my problem?

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions
bzzz5 New Member • Posts: 11
defected EM5 or my problem?

I don't know if it just me or I didn't get the settings right. But seems all of the pictures taken from EM5 are blurry compare to my GX1 (with the same lens 45mm 1.8). I really like my EM5 a lot and already let go my GX1 hope it is just me didn't use the camera properly.

Below are the samples pictures all with 45mm 1.8

GX1

EM5

GX1

EM5

GX1

EM5

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BushmanOrig Senior Member • Posts: 2,975
Re: defected EM5 or my problem?

Looks perfectly OK for me. All your images are at f1,8 (one on f2,8) if I see correct. That means a very narrow FOV or In-Focus area or strip in the image. All in front and behind this in focus strip will blur.....

The E-M5 reacts more SLR like and will give it as is where the Panasonic often reacts like a compact and will tend to software influence the lens response and image result....

Hope that helps

Siegfried

-- hide signature --

Community of Photographers
http://www.photographyisfun.ch

ldrider Regular Member • Posts: 217

What is your Subject in these photos...what were you aiming at?

You might want to try scene mode.

ldrider's gear list:ldrider's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 29,615

Try f/8 or f/5.6 and see how it improves the depth of field.

Regards............. Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +2 more
gsergei Contributing Member • Posts: 825
A beloved camera defected your motherland ?

now this is very serious !
--
Sergei,
Calgary.
http://www.alberta-photo.com

gsergei's gear list:gsergei's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
James A Rinner
James A Rinner Senior Member • Posts: 1,602

Are these out of the camera jpegs? If they are I would check you camera settings like contrast and sharpening to make sure they match.
--
Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +10 more
dezignman Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
I don't understand...

BushmanOrig wrote:

The E-M5 reacts more SLR like and will give it as is where the Panasonic often reacts like a compact and will tend to software influence the lens response and image result....

...what that means. Could you please explain. Thank you.

OP bzzz5 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: I don't understand...

Pictures are all out from jpeg. I realize the sharpness difference is not as big as I seen on my own computer. I am a new user of the EM5 even olympus. So, I am wondering if it is setting on the camera. I did put the sharpness +1 by the way. And if I didn't remember wrong. All the focus point should be in the middle of the picture.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,802
Where did it defect to? Syria, North Korea, El Paso, B&H? (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,811
Bzz GX1 v e-M5 sharpness

Hey Bzzz, yes I see your GX1 pictures are sharper and more contrasty, so let's try to narrow down the problem.

bzzz5 wrote:

Pictures are all out from jpeg....

You need to write down the exact Jpeg settings for each camera : film-mode or picture type or whatever they're calling the 'style' of Jpeg these days.
Contrast and sharpness and colour saturation settings.

For example on my e-pL1 I may be using 'vivid' mode with contrast+0 sharpness-1, while on my Lumix G1 I might be using 'Dynamic' with contrast-1, saturation-2

With all this EXACT information there may be an obvious FIX for your e-M5.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads