just got 7d, I am really frustrated right now.

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions
OP liukaitc Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: just got 7d, I am really frustrated right now.

canuck dave wrote:

Were you not having 'issues' with your previous camera(s)?

You need to buy a few books on photography basics and read and re-read and practice.

You have (and have had) very good gear, but it does take a certain amount of skill to use it properly.

of course not....

I am a full time photographer...

I am not a newbie..

I am pretty sure it is the problem of lens now.
I think the camera is fine.
I am tired of exchange now. It is like buying lottery.
I wil probabally send out for calibrate.

jitteringjr wrote:

liukaitc wrote:

feriants wrote:

I have the same problem with my 7d and Sigma 24mm,
There is no problem with my canon 50mm f1.4, 24-105mm, 17-85mm...?????

yeah...too bad I did not buy any canon lens....can not test now...

I have had plenty of calibration issues with multiple Canon lenses. Buying Canon lenses instead of third party lenses does not exempt you from calibration issues.

actually when I was at the return counter, the staff told me he think it should be the problem of lens not camera. he said if you want dead on focus, you should buy canon lens, if you pair with sigma lens, you are downgrade you 7d....

anyway I did not know why I still insist on exchange camera not lens at that moment..

jitteringjr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,608

I use a Sigma 17-50/2.8 and a 30/1.4 on my 7D and I would definitly not say they down grade my 7D at all.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +7 more
ARShutterbug
ARShutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 8,976
Don't blame the camera

The lens is the more likely problem, especially when dealing with third-party lenses. Do you have a regular Canon EF lens available? The Live View focusing is slower in its focus-search, so it may be that your third-party lenses don't like the focus speed of the 7D. That actually sounds silly to me. How about switching to AI Servo? Can either of your lenses track an object?

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,106

What a load of bunk! 5 seconds of research will tell you that you can get fantastic photographs with those lenses and the 7D.

http://flickriver.com/search/canon+7d+sigma+17-50/

http://flickriver.com/search/canon+7d+tokina+11-16/

Everyone who has a problem with a 3rd party lens immediately assumes that they are all garbage. You could read the 10000 posts (maybe a little exaggerated) here about 7D focus issues and you will find that some people have had bad cameras, some have had bad lenses and most have had bad technique. I've personally had great experiences with Sigma and Canon lenses both. I've had 2 lenses total that have given me headaches, one Sigma and one Canon. Both issues resolved by sending the stuff in.

I'd love a world where everything would just work the first time out, but we don't live in that world. Frankly I'm happy when ANYTHING works first go round anymore, not limited to cameras and lenses.

Sorry I missed your "used center point" in your first post, btw. Phase detection is less accurate than contrast, but it's also hugely faster. I would do your tripod tests with a series of images and see what your "hit rate" is, how many come out in sharp focus. If your camera/lens combo consistently miss you can MFA, if they are all over the place, sending it in is a good idea. This is assuming a lot of variables that would be answered by even 1 example photo with exif.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
dvboy Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Don't blame the camera

It sounds like the lens is the issue,very strange that both lenses that you have are doing the same thing??Try taking the lens back if its new and see if they will let you use the Canon 17-55 IS 2.8,that lens has a better track record for accurate focusing than the Sigma.I went through two Sigma 17-50 before getting one I was happy with.

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,106

That is a bit silly, sorry to say. The 17-50 is just fine in servo. The difference is that contrast detection uses a measurement of the actual image to determine when it is in focus where as phase detection uses a beam splitter and compares the beams.

PDAF requires calibration between the camera and the lens, problems usually happen there. A lens can be within spec on one edge while the camera is within spec at the other edge and it's enough to throw things off. MFA is useful in this case unless you are off by more than it can handle. I would assume that the range of MFA is related to Canon's spec range, so in that sense you could have more issues with 3rd party lens providers who may not even be aware of what that range entails.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Topaz Contributing Member • Posts: 588

ARShutterbug wrote:

The lens is the more likely problem, especially when dealing with third-party lenses. Do you have a regular Canon EF lens available? The Live View focusing is slower in its focus-search, so it may be that your third-party lenses don't like the focus speed of the 7D. That actually sounds silly to me. How about switching to AI Servo? Can either of your lenses track an object?

I agree with ARShutterbug that you should try to replicate the problem on Canon lenses. I have always had a terrible time shooting with my only non-Canon lens (a Sigma 30mm). It's not a micro adjust problem either; it back focuses as often as it front focuses. And it is much worse with phase detect focus than contrast detect during live view.

No trouble with any of my Canon lenses, on the other hand. Superb focus, virtually all the time.

The one bit of happy news is that, unless it's my imagination, the Sigma lens's focus got much, much better after the 2.0 firmware upgrade. But I have a wild imagination.

Stollen1234 Contributing Member • Posts: 777

sorry to hear..but this is normal..you might be experienced in photography , but if you just purchased the camera it looks like you did not read the manual..even the experts advise to read it twice..

and as some sugggested the 7D is an advanced camera so you need to shot a lot and to learn ..in time you will notice that you are doing better and better..

you can download the manual and other guides here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d/#BrochuresAndManuals

dvboy wrote:

It sounds like the lens is the issue,very strange that both lenses that you have are doing the same thing??Try taking the lens back if its new and see if they will let you use the Canon 17-55 IS 2.8,that lens has a better track record for accurate focusing than the Sigma.I went through two Sigma 17-50 before getting one I was happy with.

wow..they let you do that??
exchange a lens twice....

no, the problem is that you dont know canon 7D camera..it has nothing to do with your photography experience...try to watch the video suggested and also to read the manual...

can you post samples of the fotos?

Brian D. Schneider
Brian D. Schneider Forum Pro • Posts: 18,225

Robert J. Gonzalez wrote:

I have the 7d.

It doesn't have VF focus.

VF focus=viewfinder focus.

what are you talking about?

Since the 40d, xxd canon cameras have been unreliable when you let it chose where to focus.

You need to select which sensor points are used.

Read his post, he is using center point.
--
Brian Schneider

yeah. I understand every camera is different. ( I will watch those video on those advanced auto focus features)
but I am not using those advanced focus feature found in 7d.

I am using the most primitive auto focus technique that is single center point auto focus.
That works on any camera regardless how advanced the auto focus system is.

iMacdaddy Junior Member • Posts: 33

They should let you try lenses. I go to a local camera shop and they let me " try " lenses. Mind you I have spent literally thousands of $ in the shop over the years and they know me, and I know them by name. But your shop might be willing. Sorry to hear about your focus problems. I am no means a good photographer, I really haven't a clue what I am doing. But unless its something I have done wrong, like shutter speed etc. I have had no issues with my 17 - 40 & 70 - 200 Canon lenses. Hope you get your problem straightened out. Go back and test drive or perhaps rent lenses. Good luck.

Yeah.
I did not really have any problem using my pentax gear before.

but I find Canon and Nikon has better professional support. such as easier to rent lens, easier to working with other crew member, easier to buy used gear and so on.
that is why I switch to canon.

mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285

liukaitc wrote:

but I am not using those advanced focus feature found in 7d.

I am using the most primitive auto focus technique that is single center point auto focus.

Actually, the Center AF Point is the LEAST primitive AF point you could choose. After acquiring regular precision AF it has the potential to use the High Precision AF point to "touch up" the focus. If your lens is not well calibrated it can touch up your focus in the wrong direction. This is not the fault of the camera but the lens. Try using one of the AF points surrounding the center. At the very least, I would expect focus to be slightly more consistent but it does sound like your lenses are not very well calibrated. The high pixel density of the 7D will amplify the poor performance of any part of the system.

Out of eight Canon lenses I've purchased (all new), none of them had enough miscalibration to benefit from anything but very minor MFA adjustments. Third party lenses are well known to have much more variation on average. Yes, even a miscalibrated lens will AF accurately in LV mode. That's because LV uses pure closed loop AF algorithms while Phase Detect AF ends with an open loop command (contrary to misguided articles that have been written on the subject).

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990

Do you have any link to read up on this? I thought that on the 7D, PD is now also closed loop. Thanks.

mmullen wrote:

That's because LV uses pure closed loop AF algorithms while Phase Detect AF ends with an open loop command (contrary to misguided articles that have been written on the subject).

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6500 Canon EOS R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +51 more
paulcroft
paulcroft Regular Member • Posts: 231

Since you've swapped the camera and the issue persists then, assuming the problem is not operator error, it can only really be the lens. The fact that you have two lenses that exhibit this fault does not rule this out. The fault must lie in one of these three areas.

That being so, I'd go back to the shop with the camera and lenses, explain the problem you're having and ask to try a different lens. I'd ask to try the ef-s 17-55, a lens which was almost purpose designed to be used with this camera. Given the money you've already spent, coupled with the fact that you'll probably spend more with them over the years if they treat you as they should I cannot believe they will not let you do this. Then take a few photos using One-Shot AF and single-point AF at high enough shutter speeds to eliminate the possibility of camera shake and check the results on the camera's LCD, zoomed in to max on the object you focused on. If the lens is the problem you'll see the difference immediately - every shot should be sharp.

If the results are still out of focus it can only be you or the camera. I guess it's not impossible that the shop had two defective cameras but I would have thought this very unlikely.

Paul

paulcroft's gear list:paulcroft's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads