Canon Powershot SX230 HS Dual Illuminant Profile for Adobe Lightroom

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions
arguros Senior Member • Posts: 1,095
Canon Powershot SX230 HS Dual Illuminant Profile for Adobe Lightroom

Hi,

I want to share with you a Dual Illuminant profile I created with passport pro for the

Canon SX230 HS. The LR 4.0 processing is much better than the Canon especially with regards to the detail at high ISO.

This is the link.

https://sites.google.com/site/bypaparo/storage/Canon%20PowerShot%20SX230%20HS%20DILM.dcp?attredirects=0&d=1

You can apply it to the .DNG file that you get for the CHDK software.

This is much better the the default one, especially in low light, where the embedded one has some strange casting.

Hope you enjoy it.

You can also find here a lens profile.

https://sites.google.com/site/bypaparo/storage/Sx230%20HS%20lens%20profile.lcp?attredirects=0&d=1

The lens profile, was downloaded by me at the official CHDK site.

I think you can get nearly a 24mm equivalent out of the camera with this profile. It is for sure sensibly wider than 28mm

To install them you just need to copy the two files in the appropriate directory in LR. Check it up on google.

I believe that these two files with LR 4.0 will make this camera very competent in terms of image quality, may be on par with the like of Canon S100, S90, LX5, and so on.

It would be great if any of you can post any comparison with these cameras

Hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think.

arguros

-- hide signature --

arguros

Have a look at my personal blog and let me know your thoughts
http://argurosblog.blogspot.com/

Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP arguros Senior Member • Posts: 1,095
Repost with the links working in case somebody is interested

I did a repost on the official CHDK forum

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6397.msg90246#msg90246
--
arguros

Installation instruction Added

Hi,

I want to share with you a Dual Illuminant profile I created with passport pro for the

Canon SX230 HS. The LR 4.0 processing is much better than the Canon especially with regards to the detail at high ISO.

This is the link.

https://sites.google.com/site/bypaparo/storage/Canon%20PowerShot%20SX230%20HS%20DILM.dcp?attredirects=0&d=1

You can apply it to the .DNG file that you get for the CHDK software.

You need to copy this file "Canon PoweShot SX230 HS DILM.dcp" in
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\

This is much better the the default one, especially in low light, where the embedded one has some strange casting.

Hope you enjoy it.

You can also find here a lens profile.

https://sites.google.com/site/bypaparo/storage/Sx230%20HS%20lens%20profile.lcp?attredirects=0&d=1

The lens profile, was downloaded by on this forum. SX230 HS Lens Profile.lcp

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfile\

I think you can get nearly a 24mm equivalent out of the camera with this profile. It is for sure sensibly wider than 28mm

To install them you just need to copy the two files in the appropriate directory in LR.

I believe that these two files with LR 4.0 will make this camera very competent in terms of image quality, may be on par with the like of Canon S100, S90, LX5, and so on.

It would be great if any of you can post any comparison with these cameras

Hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think.

arguros

Ian Abrahamson
Ian Abrahamson Regular Member • Posts: 458
Re: Installation instruction Added

Now why couldnt the factory just do this for us in the first place

Ian Abrahamson's gear list:Ian Abrahamson's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Xperia Z3 Compact +1 more

Let me know what you think. I believe is much better than the jpg for ISO 800/1600
--
arguros

peter42y Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

I have a canon SX220 HS.I have the Canon hack software but I do not know how to take pictures in raw

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
marcocic New Member • Posts: 9

I guess you might have found out by now.

In any case it's simple. In the main menu of CHDK enter the RAW parameters section. Enable RAW capture, set DNG file format and extension. Create the badpixels.bin file.

Imarcocic wrote:

In any case it's simple. In the main menu of CHDK enter the RAW parameters section. Enable RAW capture, set DNG file format and extension. Create the badpixels.bin file.

Thanks for your answer.

I have not found yet how to shoot raw.

Besides I forgot how to start CHDK.

In the first days I did install it..,it did work.  Now I forgot how to start it.

I have lightroom 2.5 and adobe camera raw

ok..first you have to start chdk. there are two methods. the first (simpler but manual) it is to press Menu and do the firmware update (this will load chdk until you switch off camera). the second method (more complex but automated) prescribes that you put all downloaded files.in the root of your sd card.. then you do once the manual method to launch chdk. then go in the miscellaneous method and make the card bootable. thenn This is tricky.. put the card into lock. do not worry it will not be truly locked.. this will actually trigger the chdk hijack of the camera.one important info.. to enter in the CHDK menu you need a special sequence (DISP + PLAY).. but in recent builds it is sufficient to press PLAY   Anyways there is plenty of info on the chdk site..

thanks arguros!!!!!!! the calibration works very nicely, especially under tungsten and other artificial lights!! it finally unleashes the power of the camera   . would you mind sharing the profile ediotr recipe as well? over the past year i've dpne many eyeball attempts to fix color and i'm curious to see what wete the "right" ones  ...          

ok, last night i was with mobile phone so couldn't write as much as I've would have liked to...

the two methods for starting up CHDK are described here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/%22firmware_update_method%22

This is the first method. It simply requires that you put the downloaded files in the root of your SD card.

The other method is described as "Bootable SD Card Method Preparation".

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card#Bootable_SD_Card_Method

There are two ways to do it. I prefer the one implemented by CHDK, which is described as "Method 1 - Using a CHDK itself to make the SD card bootable". It's lengthy but it is easy. The only thing that is tricky is that during the whole procedure the card has to be UNLOCKED (writing is permitted), but once you shoot photos you need to put the card into the LOCKED position (which routes the boot process onto chdk)

marcocic wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help .

I managed to load  CHDK.

Now I have to find out  how to load CHDK main menu and how to enable raw.

If it is a recent install you just need to press PLAY briefly.

(A long press will do the classic canon function of switching between PLAY and SHOOT)

If it is an older build, proabably you will have to press DISP and PLAY at the same time (if I recall correctly)

marcocic wrote:

If it is a recent install you just need to press PLAY briefly.

(A long press will do the classic canon function of switching between PLAY and SHOOT)

If it is an older build, proabably you will have to press DISP and PLAY at the same time (if I recall correctly)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Without knowing how I managed to do it..., I was able to record   my first 2 DNG files which  I developed with lightroom .

At a certain time in the process I start getting message change battery.

The battery was not empty tough  since I managed to   power camera in default mode  (no CHDK mode ) .

I changed battery since I had a spare battery. All went fine.

DNG raw files have more noise  but at the same time are sharper , more rich as far as color is concerned.

Thanks for your help and motivation.

Here you can see a JPEG file and Raw file I took a few minutes ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26518824@N06/8357288527/in/photostream/

Hi,

I apologize for the late reply.

I am glad that you like the profile. I think it si very good. I have always wondered how it compares with the RAW files from the S110.

The DNG files, with the lens and dual illuminant profile applied to it,  at ISO 800 and above are much better that the JPGs from Canon. To me are miles better.

I created those profilels with colorcheker passoport under controlled light.  I think you can edit it with a tool from adobe.

Would you mind explaining me what you are looking for? I am not sure if I got it.

In addition, have you tried the CHDK for the Canon SX260HS?

I would like to upgrade from the SX240HS to the SX260HS, but I will do that only if the CHDK works fine, and we can managed to get a lens profile too. I will take care of the dual illuminant one.

The SX230HS if a very nice camera, but I cannot stand that ridicoulous 16:9 screen format.

-- hide signature --

arguros Have a look at my personal blog and let me know your thoughts http://argurosblog.blogspot.com/

Hi, thank you for your reply..

I am looking for the "recipe" which is the original format of the color files in DNG Profile Editor.

When you are working on a color profile you should be able to save the profile either as a "recipe" *.dcpr (that contains all the details of the color manipulation) or as a "color profile" *.dcp which is the file you put in Camera Raw's.

Alternatively could you post me the images you took of the ColorChecker? I could easily rebuild the recipe from there (and eventually do some minor tweaks).

As for the SX260 I have no experience (by now, btw Canon has launched the SX280).

Personally, if I could go back I would avoid a travel zoom camera. There are too many constraints that eventually impact on image quality.. and after all I take zoom pictures (>140mm) rarely.. not more than 10% of times.. and most of the times it is only to obtain some nice Depth of Field

Do not worry.. I have found the way to do it. In the profile Editor I select a Base profile and it automatically shows your DILM profile ....

Alternatively could you post me the images you took of the ColorChecker? I could easily rebuild the recipe from there (and eventually do some minor tweaks).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads