RX100. Red dots on sunset pictures

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions
audunbrekke New Member • Posts: 11
RX100. Red dots on sunset pictures

Hi. What is causing these red dots in sunset pictures on RX100 ?

I have tryed a several sunset shots. If the there is to much brightnes in the pictures, these red dots around the sun apear. Is it something I can do about this ? or is it a weaknes in the camera optics / sensor ?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mark moe Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Lens flare--normal

Shooting straight into the sun can cause lans flare-normal.

The sun sinks fast w/in a couple miutes your picture would be fine and look even nicer.

ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898
Re: RX100. Red dots on sunset pictures

audunbrekke wrote:

I have tryed a several sunset shots. If the there is to much brightnes in the pictures, these red dots around the sun apear. Is it something I can do about this ? or is it a weaknes in the camera optics / sensor ?

It's also maybe a reflection of the sensor. But whatever it maybe I also see it on most pictures where the sun is in the frame. This is where I prefer my DSLR and good glass.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Still a beautiful shot!
--
FlickR Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

davids8560 Contributing Member • Posts: 736
Re: Lens flare--normal

I saw this movie once called The Andromeda Strain, and this lady stared at some red dots, and they made her go into an epileptic seizure! So be careful!

And, btw, my RX100 does the same thing.

davids8560's gear list:davids8560's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Leica C Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 30D +1 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342

mark moe wrote:

Shooting straight into the sun can cause lans flare-normal.

The sun sinks fast w/in a couple miutes your picture would be fine and look even nicer.

It isn't lens flare and isn't strictly normal. It does, however, happen with some digital cameras. It is usually the result of reflections off the sensor, most likely of the micro lens array. On a few camera models it has been much more severe than this. On most camera models it is never a problem at all. Search for red dots across all forums and you'll find angst about it for each new model that has exhibited this behavior.

Apparently the RX100 has this "issue" like some other camera models. There isn't a particularly good way to get rid of it, though you may try different apertures. Nothing wrong with your RX100, everyone's will do the same thing.
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Somonica
Somonica Regular Member • Posts: 122

I actually like this "red dots effect" when I shoot my RX100 against the sun...

but its only happen depend a lot of the angle between the sun and the lens...

Somonica's gear list:Somonica's gear list
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
mark moe Senior Member • Posts: 1,446

Probably would have happened w/ any DSLR and nice glass too... The sun is too far above the horizon. I shoot a lot of sunsets since I travel to Hawaii a lot--really interesting just how fast the sun goes from just above the horizon to completely below it--about 10 minutes. A polarizer filter may help but changes the whole pic since some rays may make it prettier.

I think the best pics are when there is a small arc of the sun just peeking over the horizon. There's a shot like this on the forum right now from Chile.

BTW: The RX100's Zeiss coating is second to none.

ManuH wrote:

audunbrekke wrote:

It's also maybe a reflection of the sensor. But whatever it maybe I also see it on most pictures where the sun is in the frame. This is where I prefer my DSLR and good glass.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,219

That is lens flair and it is a common problem with sunsets. It is caused by internal lens reflections and results from the extreme brightness of the sun.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
psychedelic flare

Anyone can beat his?

-- hide signature --
davids8560 Contributing Member • Posts: 736
Re: psychedelic flare

Nice!

davids8560's gear list:davids8560's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Leica C Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 30D +1 more
Jimmyjoebob Regular Member • Posts: 106
red dots are not flare

reflection from and back to sensor, like but not the same as flare

if shooting into sun you could hold an ND filter in front of the lens to knock the light down

Somonica
Somonica Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: psychedelic flare

Seedeich wrote:

Anyone can beat his?

mmmm...

Somonica's gear list:Somonica's gear list
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Lens Flare

Lens flare are due to stray light against very bright sources. Modern lens coatings help somewhat against it (and definitely against light to moderately bright sources) but it is not unusual to see them show up. Often they can be used artistically, however (people actually photoshop these into their images!).

Lens hoods help. Unfortunately, not always an option. You could work with your hands, to block stray light that might cause it, and it should work but not a 100% guarantee, again, depending on the light source.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
OP audunbrekke New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks for all the godd answers. I think it is a bad mix between lens flare and sensor reflection. Lens flare is normal for other cameras, but then it is just on red dot. That is ok in a picture. But the RX100 shows a symetrical pattern of 8 red dots arund the light object. That is not ok on a picture. The dots are not that strong when the lightsource is in a corner.
I will try out with a bigger aperture, and filters, and se what makes it better.

EinsteinsGhost

The best cure against lens flare is lens hood, or simply using your hands to prevent stray light entering and getting reflected all over. Filters may only make it worse introducing their own flare.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 4,990

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

The best cure against lens flare is lens hood, or simply using your hands to prevent stray light entering and getting reflected all over. Filters may only make it worse introducing their own flare.

Erhm, take a look at the samples... you'd have your hand in them

EinsteinsGhost

sem wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Not necessarily. This ain't a fisheye lens we're talking about.

If you can't use a lens hood, you should try to shade against bright sources if you want to maximize contrast and/or reduce flare.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm
http://digital-photography-school.com/eliminating-lens-flare

Gordon W
Gordon W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,881
This kind of flaring is NOT typical

What you're getting with your RX100, which I'm very sad to see, is much like what I get with my Fuji F550 when shooting exceptionally bright light sources...

FujiFilm FinePix F550 EXR
1/680s f/10.0 at 17.3mm iso100

But contrary to what some have said earlier in this thread, this kind of flaring is not typical, as can be seen in the images below...

Canon EOS 60D ,Canon EF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
1/2000s f/8.0 at 60.0mm iso100

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7

Canon EOS 60D ,Canon EF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

1/4s f/3.5 at 4.4mm iso1600

Canon PowerShot S100
1/5s f/3.5 at 5.2mm iso1600

Canon PowerShot S100
1/15s f/2.0 at 5.2mm iso1600

I personally find the "dots around the light" kind of flaring to be ugly and highly detrimental to the photos it appears in. AFAIC, it ruins the Fuji F550 (or any camera that has this kind of flaring) for direct shots of the sun and nightshots, but this kind of flaring doesn't appear in the Canon S100, which is why I bought it. I had been thinking about replacing it with an RX100, but this flaring now rules out me buying that camera.

BTW, for those who have recommended a lens hood, a lens hood would have no effect on this kind of flaring since the light source is direct light directly in the frame. duh

Besides, putting a lens hood on a camera like this rather defeats it being pocketable.

-- hide signature --

--
My online photo galleries
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix B700 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 60D +3 more
_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 4,990

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

sem wrote:

Not necessarily. This ain't a fisheye lens we're talking about.

If you can't use a lens hood, you should try to shade against bright sources if you want to maximize contrast and/or reduce flare.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm
http://digital-photography-school.com/eliminating-lens-flare

Necessarily

Please take one good look at the samples with the sun in the frame and reconsider how a lens hood or hand could help reduce the red-spotted pattern.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads