Question for Pentax experts regarding lenses

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions
John Venables Senior Member • Posts: 1,110
Re: Thoughts on Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II 1:4 Macro

I have the Sigma 24 super-wide 11. It is very sharp. Focuses quite close too.
The two photos below were taken with the sigma 24 super wide

-- hide signature --

John V
K5 K10D Pentax 18-55WR, Tamron90DImacro, Zenitar, Tamron 200-500(screw mount)

pentaxination
OP pentaxination Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Thoughts on Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II 1:4 Macro

great shots with the 24 and help me believe that I will like its output on the K5.

thanks John!

John Venables wrote:

I have the Sigma 24 super-wide 11. It is very sharp. Focuses quite close too.
The two photos below were taken with the sigma 24 super wide

-- hide signature --

John V
K5 K10D Pentax 18-55WR, Tamron90DImacro, Zenitar, Tamron 200-500(screw mount)

-- hide signature --

Joe

bavarius6 Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: Question for Pentax experts regarding lenses

If you are also looking for something a bit wider than 20mm I picked up a mint Tamron Adaptall 2 17mm 3.5 SP recently with an adaptall 'A' type adapter for a pretty good price. With it's unusually rim mounted petal hood it's lens with a serious look and feel to it but unfortunately I haven't managed to put mine to serious use yet. It has no standard way of mounting filters but I purchased a Cokin P type adapter that clamps on the rim of the lens for that. I know it's not a Pentax lens but it's just an option if you want something a bit wider for landscapes without spending a small fortune.

Pat

chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 8,276
Re: No Value?

awaldram wrote:

I have no doubt that the Samyang products are useful and very good value but Pentax has plenty of excellent older lenses too.

true there are some true gems the 85 you mention being one of them but Value I think not.

I got a couple of A☆ lenses at great prices, thanks to honest and kind gentlemen. One a regular here.

-- hide signature --

cheers!

Gunn

-- Get a big lens and get closerâ„¢.

chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 8,276

Joseph Tainter wrote:

pentaxination wrote:

The K5 will be used for urban and nautical landscapes, black & white only with a degree of HDR.

Then you probably want wide angle lenses, at least 20-24 mm. or wider. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the FA 20 F2.8. The A 20 F2.8 has, I believe, the same optical formula and will be less expensive. The FA 24 F2 is a variable performer, but can give excellent results sometimes.

The old K15 F3.5 AL was pretty good for its day. The A version was not quite as sharp. It will be hard to find, and perhaps expensive.

For a less expensive modern lens, Sigma's 20 F1.8 gives nice results, but is prone to flare.

If you can, consider springing for the DA 21. When I travel, it is my basic lens.

Joe

My 21 gets a lot of use!

But, for what he's asking, the M20/4 is an obvious answer?

Also, though I have a DA 14 and 10-17, I am considering a Samyang 8mm.

-- hide signature --

cheers!

Gunn

-- Get a big lens and get closerâ„¢.

pentaxination
Re: Question for Pentax experts regarding lenses; follow up post

I have settled on the 16-45 to replace the 18-55WR. According to what I have found, it is more capable than the 'okay' kit lens, IQ-wise by a decent margin. The additional field of view is about as wide as I am interested in going right now, having been down the ultra wide angle road in the past. True, it is f4 max, however, that is plenty fast(and sharp) for the K5. Not to be overlooked, yes, it has a more limited range than the 18-55, 18-125 and 17-70, but, I shoot at 24, 28, 40 and 60mm and nothing between that and 200-300 range--so it works well for me.

Summing it up, I got a good price for an open box one and will be looking for a used telephoto lens for occasional use. If any of my forum friends have some thoughts on those I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Joe

Robbie Corrigan Regular Member • Posts: 196

The DA55-300 is a no brainer imo telephoto to join the stable with the 16-45. My travel kit used to comprise the 16-45, FA50 f/1.4 & 55-300. Small, light, great build, wide, fast and long. Covers near enough all eventualities.

Robbie Corrigan's gear list:Robbie Corrigan's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
pentaxination

the 55-300 is my first choice. Since I won't use a lot I am going to look for a used one. Failing that effort I will go inexpensive route with a Sigma.

Robbie Corrigan wrote:

The DA55-300 is a no brainer imo telephoto to join the stable with the 16-45. My travel kit used to comprise the 16-45, FA50 f/1.4 & 55-300. Small, light, great build, wide, fast and long. Covers near enough all eventualities.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Robbie Corrigan Regular Member • Posts: 196

There is an old adage.. Buy in haste, repent at leisure. Works very well for lens purchases Even if it means waiting an extra couple of months to pick up the DA55-300 I would suggest waiting, even over the cheaper Sigmas or Tamrons or even the DA50-200WR. As a consumer grade optic, it like the 16-45 you already have is a class up from the kit lens optics and the sub pro grade Tamrons or Sigmas.

Then a prime is definitely in order Go cheapish for the DA35 f/2.4 or DA50 f/1.8 for AF or scour ebay, pentaxforums, pentaxuser uk for some manual primes like K24 f/2.8, K28 f/3.5, K35 f/3.5, K50 f/1.2 for amazing build quality and sublime tactile delights. The 24 is nice and small, great as a street shooter, the 28 and 35 are small but amazingly sharp with great contrast, generally overlooked because they are slow. Underestimated. The 50 f/1.2? only upgrade is the A50 f/1.2 but an extra $250, kicks any of the other 50s to touch if you get the hang of MF, Katzeye useful in this instance.

The Ks imo are the best built of the lot if the Star lines are excluded, i.e. an M 50 f/1.4 feels noticebly cheaper than the K and the A's feel a bit lighter and cheaper than the Ms. Pick up an A*85 f/1.4 for example and you are back at K build quality.

Robbie Corrigan's gear list:Robbie Corrigan's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
LensBeginner
LensBeginner Contributing Member • Posts: 541

I'll second the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 , really sharp and a pleasure to use.

Also the SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 is very good, just some minor defects (flare in certain conditions, coma wide open, nothing major).

I really like my SMC-M 100m f/2.8 & 200mm f/4 , two lenses with one of the most creamylicious bokeh I've ever seen...

All those lenses have little to no distorsion on APS-C.

I know, I can correct distorsion (& vignetting) on my kit 18-55mm with a click of the mouse, but I really like when photos just "come out", with only minimal adjustments done to the raw file. When I need to churn it, boost it, scratch it, straighten it, lighten it, it just makes me feel very depressed...

I also have a M 55m f/1.8, no big deal, fringes, etc. you can safely steer clear of that one.
Regards.

LensBeginner's gear list:LensBeginner's gear list
Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +1 more
Joseph Tainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,682

pentaxination wrote:

I have settled on the 16-45 to replace the 18-55WR

Good choice. Mine is excellent.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads