I am sorry I hate the Nikon P7700

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
Spiridakis Michael
Spiridakis Michael Senior Member • Posts: 2,766
I am sorry I hate the Nikon P7700

I didn't had the chance to get a Nikon P7100 although it was my favorite option... instead I got an OLY EPL2... but thats another story....

I did had the chance to advice a friend that finally got a Nikon P7100 and the other day I had the chance to play a little with it...

Lovely camera, smooth operated with a nice quiet and smooth lens made for movies... perfect weight, nicely made and for sure not a brick like the G12...

Nice surprise the very very bright OVF a little small but still very bright and extremely useful...

Capable of attaching wide angle converter...

And finally they decided to KILL this nice camera... I hate the new one... I am sorry.... but I just hate all the concept... of this camera...
--
http://www.spiridakis.gr

Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: I am sorry I hate the Nikon P7700

Hate is a big word but yes it looks like a disaster for many users who want OVF's

I just looked at the news/preview and shook my head..that's not a good sign at all

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
Look on the bright side

Spiridakis Michael wrote:

I didn't had the chance to get a Nikon P7100 although it was my favorite option... instead I got an OLY EPL2... but thats another story....

I did had the chance to advice a friend that finally got a Nikon P7100 and the other day I had the chance to play a little with it...

Lovely camera, smooth operated with a nice quiet and smooth lens made for movies... perfect weight, nicely made and for sure not a brick like the G12...

Nice surprise the very very bright OVF a little small but still very bright and extremely useful...

Capable of attaching wide angle converter...

And finally they decided to KILL this nice camera... I hate the new one... I am sorry.... but I just hate all the concept... of this camera...

The "lovely" P7100 will soon be dirt cheap. You will probably be able to pick one up for around $250 a few months after of the introduction of the P7700.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
MMS Photo
MMS Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 848

You write the word hate 4 times...for a camera you have never seen in person and never held or used? Hate? Really?

Just sayin'
--
Michael
MMS | Photography @ http://mmsphoto.zenfolio.com/

MMS Photo's gear list:MMS Photo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
talmy
talmy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

In a market full of cameras, there is no reason to waste any time hating a particular model. And since P7000s are still available, I'd expect P7100s will be around for at least a year if you really want one. And unlike DSLRs where you are basically stuck with a particular system, it's easy to freely switch brands with compacts. No reason to be brand loyal I can see.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 +12 more
SingaporeNoob New Member • Posts: 6

While I am more than a little disappointed in this new camera, I more consider it something different than what I was hoping for than have strong feelings about it.

I feel similar about the G1X, which is bigger and more expensive for what I'm looking for in my next camera.

If the 7100 had the fully articulating screen like the G12 it would be an easy choice. If the G12 had 7x zoom and wasn't 2 years old it would be an easy choice.

If I hadn't read so much about lens dust with the X10 it would be an easy choice.

I tend to waver on these things before a purchase, so that I at least know what I'm getting into.

At this point it's looking more like I'll be going with the G12.

Karl R. Josker
Karl R. Josker Contributing Member • Posts: 944

If a camera doesn't have an OVF, but I otherwise like it, I don't hesitate to put an aftermarket OVF on it, when needed. My favorite is the Sigma VF-11, although my collection includes several from the old Nikon film rangefinders. Single focal lengths, and variofocals. You don't need to go without one.

Karl R. Josker's gear list:Karl R. Josker's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,349
It's a case of the glass half full or half empty.....

It's always interesting to see how one person may hate a situation - while another may find it to be quite alright. And such is the case with cameras.

I personally am looking forward to seeing this P7700 (I have the P7100) - and I never use the OVF because I personally find them useless. That's because I like to control (and see) where my AF point is going to be - which you cannot do with these generic OVF's on enthusiast models.

So you may hate it....but many will like it. And you can't argue that scenario because we all have opinions.

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +39 more
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

I would like the viewfinder to be in my glasses so that a frame appears around the actual scene I am looking at which represents the cropped portion that will be photographed. This simple LCD device could be connected to the camera by wire or Wi-Fi.

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Lifer
Lifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,810

So much BS about a camera that no one has handled or tested. The negative comments particularly amaze and amuse me at the same time. Guess is just my age showing or its just that I've seen so much of this tripe in my 73 years.
--
Richard R. Price

Lifer's gear list:Lifer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
peter42y Senior Member • Posts: 2,201

MMS Photo wrote:

You write the word hate 4 times...for a camera you have never seen in person and never held or used? Hate? Really?

Just sayin'
--
Michael

Wise words.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon IXUS 310 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
ebsilon Contributing Member • Posts: 628

brianj wrote:

I would like the viewfinder to be in my glasses so that a frame appears around the actual scene I am looking at which represents the cropped portion that will be photographed. This simple LCD device could be connected to the camera by wire or Wi-Fi.

It's a good idea - actually Nikon presented something very similar last year. MAybe it was prioduced fior millitary or medical market. I tried to google it, but didn't find the link now.

-- hide signature --

Eirik ----------

Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,570

talmy wrote:

And unlike DSLRs where you are basically stuck with a particular system, it's easy to freely switch brands with compacts. No reason to be brand loyal I can see.

Well... already owning a couple of Nikon dedicated flash units would be a reason.

It was one of the reasons I bought a P6000 (not to mention a dirt cheap price ;-)).

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,054
So Do Not Buy It

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy something that you do not like. Perhaps you can make a list of the current cameras that you do love so that we can all pile up on you.

Personally I agree that all cameras should have an OVF but I would not use the word "hate" to describe ones that do not have them. As long as I can find ones that do have OVF (optical or electronic), I will just vote w my dollars.

-- hide signature --

Don

ISO_800
ISO_800 Regular Member • Posts: 288

MMS Photo wrote:

Just sayin'
--
Michael

"just sayin'"

I hate that phrase!!!

michelobultra Forum Member • Posts: 78
For me...

picture quality is #1. I couldn't care less if the camera used a drinking straw to take pictures as long as the IQ is there.

Unfortunately, like many cameras. The P7100 cannot take people pictures. Yes, landscapes, street photography, buildings, etc. are all georgous! And for that, this camera is amazing. But when it came to using this camera for portraits, regardless of which mode you chose, faces are very soft. No detail, no sharpness. It just cannot take people pictures.

No doubt, all the examples people post show beautiful outdoor pics, mainly scenery. But rarely any people or portraits pics. I'd like to see them, and not post processed or sharpness bumped up to the max but just out of the camera.

I returned my 7100 because, while I loved the overall IQ, people pictures sucked. I am hoping that with the new CMOS sensor, and faster lens, that the P7700 people pics will be much improved.

If not, it's a Fuji X100 for me. My wife has a Fuji X10 and her people pics are always crystal clear and tack sharp. So, we'll have to see how the 7700 will do.

crsantin Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Re: For me...

You know, I was beginning to wonder if it was my imagination. I have the identical experience with the camera. I took it on a trip to Montreal and I got some wonderful photos with it, really top quality that rivaled my DSLR results...but portraits or photos with people in them are very disappointing. Faces just don't look right with this camera. Otherwise, seriously, it would probably be the only digital camera I would shoot with (I still shoot a lot of film). It really delivers with landscapes and city shots etc, so it's an easy choice for that.

I have no interest in the P770. I am very interested in one of the Fuji's also, perhaps even the new one.

michelobultra wrote:

picture quality is #1. I couldn't care less if the camera used a drinking straw to take pictures as long as the IQ is there.

Unfortunately, like many cameras. The P7100 cannot take people pictures. Yes, landscapes, street photography, buildings, etc. are all georgous! And for that, this camera is amazing. But when it came to using this camera for portraits, regardless of which mode you chose, faces are very soft. No detail, no sharpness. It just cannot take people pictures.

No doubt, all the examples people post show beautiful outdoor pics, mainly scenery. But rarely any people or portraits pics. I'd like to see them, and not post processed or sharpness bumped up to the max but just out of the camera.

I returned my 7100 because, while I loved the overall IQ, people pictures sucked. I am hoping that with the new CMOS sensor, and faster lens, that the P7700 people pics will be much improved.

If not, it's a Fuji X100 for me. My wife has a Fuji X10 and her people pics are always crystal clear and tack sharp. So, we'll have to see how the 7700 will do.

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405

Which 'new' Fuji?

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,728

I don't see what you think is wrong with portraits when using the P7100.
Of course, it's hard to get a shallow DOF, given the size of the sensor.
But I'm quite pleased with the following…

Not bad for a compact, IMHO…

crsantin wrote:

You know, I was beginning to wonder if it was my imagination. I have the identical experience with the camera. I took it on a trip to Montreal and I got some wonderful photos with it, really top quality that rivaled my DSLR results...but portraits or photos with people in them are very disappointing. Faces just don't look right with this camera. Otherwise, seriously, it would probably be the only digital camera I would shoot with (I still shoot a lot of film). It really delivers with landscapes and city shots etc, so it's an easy choice for that.

I have no interest in the P770. I am very interested in one of the Fuji's also, perhaps even the new one.

michelobultra wrote:

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
MMS Photo
MMS Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 848

ISO_800 wrote:

MMS Photo wrote:

Just sayin'
--
Michael

"just sayin'"

I hate that phrase!!!

Sorry to push your hate button.

(wait for it...)

My bad!
--
Michael

MMS Photo's gear list:MMS Photo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads