D3 Wedding Photographers

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
rskoss Regular Member • Posts: 195
D3 Wedding Photographers

First wedding coming up and I'm trying to go over everything that can go wrong.

I'm curious how many of you use the 2nd slot as a backup versus using it for overflow? I had my camera set for overflow ever since I got it, but this wedding is my first event where losing data because something went wrong with a card would be a disaster.

Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WatsonPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: D3 Wedding Photographers

Covered off in various threads before. General consensus was to set the primary card slot for RAW and the secondary slot for JPG. That way if you have a disaster you have the JPG's to fall back or if you have a demanding bride you can produce something right away.

Try to group your shots by the wedding activity so you can do card changes at the right time. Your cards should also be big enough to handle each activity. eg. 1. Pre-ceremony pictures, bride and groom getting ready, pictures of the church, etc. 2. Ceremony itself 3. Formal shots 4. Reception

Search the threads to get a feel on how other photographers handle this as there are other ways. Sometimes an assistant can help you lining up the people for the formal shots, reminding you to change your card, help you check off the various poses. Do a web search for wedding poses checklist as you might experience a case of the nerves and sometimes a checklist can be beneficial.

WatsonPhoto's gear list:WatsonPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS M Nikon D810
em_dee_aitch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,675

I'll give you the alternate take on that:

How good are you at using card recovery software?

Though I have had cards corrupt four or five times over the years, I have been able to recover every one of the cleanly, never losing more than 2 or 3 shots per card. So since going digital in 2003, I'd estimate I've lost at most 15 total shots to card corruption.

On the other hand, at times that I was using a single card slot body, I am sure that I lost more than 15 shots over the years due to switching cards . In my experience switching cards is a greater loss of shots than the occasional corrupt yet recoverable card. That is why I choose to use overflow.

Of course the ultimate setting would be the one they don't offer, which would be to do the RAW/JPEG slot split plus overflow at the same time... basically all it would need to do is give you a "change cards NOW" message flashing in your image review screen to remind you that your JPEG slot had rolled into overflow+JPEG mode, and then you could remember to change cards and thus avert both major potential shot loss scenarios.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

chris_uk
chris_uk Contributing Member • Posts: 762

What size cards are you using?

64gb cards are not that expensive and as you can set the D3 to write both RAW and jpeg files to slot 1 you can use slot 2 as backup.

TDong Senior Member • Posts: 1,786

First Slot Raw second slot Jpeg for me

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,576

First wedding coming up and I'm trying to go over everything that can go wrong.

I'm curious how many of you use the 2nd slot as a backup versus using it for overflow? I had my camera set for overflow ever since I got it, but this wedding is my first event where losing data because something went wrong with a card would be a disaster.

HI!

First wedding?

You're braver than I am. I too, have never shot a wedding as the primary photographer.

I'd rather throw a viper down my shirt than be the primary shooter at a wedding!

You need back up equipment for anything important that can fail: DSLR, Flash, cards, etc.

Make sure that the bride's expectations are in line with what you can deliver:

Sometimes there's no pleasing a client even if you do everything right:
"You made me look fat!"
"Well, you do weigh 500 pounds...."

Good wedding photography is not something that just happens. And it rarely happens on a first attempt.

I've had friends who have seen my non-wedding photos and asked me to shoot their wedding. I've never done it. On a few of these occasions, I offered to help pay for an experienced wedding photographer as my gift.

Good Luck!
RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,155

The only card failures I have experienced were marginal problems with 3 or fewer files lost and in all cases with brand new cards. I have learned to fill a new card 100% with image files and then copy the files back to a computer and open them with a viewer to verify that the files have not been corrupted.

I used the D3's second card slot as an overflow slot so I could shoot for longer stretches without changing cards. Before the D3 I would have 75% of a card filled with images and then when the ceremony would start I would start with a new card so as not to be changing cards and missing shots while the ceremony was taking place. With the second slot as an overflow I can wait until the first card is 100% full and I am starting to put files on the second card and then save the card in the first slot and move the card from the second slot to the first and put a new card in the second slot.

With the D3 my cards were 4GB capacity and good for about 400 shots. With both slots and the overflow enabled I had a 800 shot storage capacity before needing to think about changing cards. I found this much easier and I could focus my attention 100% on the events taking place.

When I first started shooting weddings with digital SLRs in 2001 I was having to continually change out the 1GB cards and the AA batteries throughout the day. Now my setup enables me to go the entire day with one battery pack and set of AA in the strobes and only 3-4 changes of the CF cards with the D3. I was very sorry to see this feature changed with all subsequent models as carrying around a second set of SD cards makes little sense.

Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Never had card fail, but I would set for Overflow

Every single wedding I have ever done, I have had a laptop and a backup drive.

I would photograph the wedding in sessions, and each session would be like "The Rehearsal", "The Preperation", "The Gathering", "The Formals", "The Ceremony", "The Reception".

After each session, I would race to my little on-site studio and back-up my cards first to the laptop, then to the backup drive.

So my workflow method is always for backup. You can explain the entire world to a bride, but losing her photographs on her most important day of her life as she sees it; there's nothing left but a lawsuit.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

em_dee_aitch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,675
Re: Never had card fail, but I would set for Overflow

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I would photograph the wedding in sessions, and each session would be like "The Rehearsal", "The Preperation", "The Gathering", "The Formals", "The Ceremony", "The Reception".

After each session, I would race to my little on-site studio and back-up my cards first to the laptop, then to the backup drive.

So my workflow method is always for backup. You can explain the entire world to a bride, but losing her photographs on her most important day of her life as she sees it; there's nothing left but a lawsuit.

I thought you said the other day that you had no use for people photography, wedding photography specifically, and that you hated humanity too much to photograph anything but nature. Was this before you implemented your current philosophy? Just checking.

In any case, the backup strategy you propose is solid, if you have time for it.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Re: Never had card fail, but I would set for Overflow

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

I thought you said the other day that you had no use for people photography, wedding photography specifically, and that you hated humanity too much to photograph anything but nature. Was this before you implemented your current philosophy? Just checking.

In any case, the backup strategy you propose is solid, if you have time for it.

If there were 7 Miilion instead of 7 Billion, then we wouldn't have world hunger, global climate change, or pretty much any of the major problems we have had.

But yeah, I used to do weddings.

I cared too much. And at the last one, I thought I was having a heart attack. It was just because I cared so much for the client that I was having anxiety attacks.

I dropped my business and now only shoot for pleasure, and I couldn't be happier.

My art is FAR, FAR better than ever before. It's not for anyone but me and it's amazing.

I've seen better stuff. I mean who hasn't when they compare it to the 7 BILLION possible camera users. But I'd say that I was in the top 1 percentile and that if photography was allowed in museums, then my work would be musuem quality. Not that you'll ever see it. LOL!

Anyway, thanks for hanging onto my dingleberries and follwing me around.
Nice to know someone has my backside. LOLOOLOLOL!!!!!1111
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads