HX5 vs HX20 Dragonfly Macro

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181
HX5 vs HX20 Dragonfly Macro

while the HX5 has her macro sweet spot at 2.4 x, the HX20 can use a 4 x zoom to keep the same frame but get more distance from the object.

here are 2 original resolution lossless crops straight out of the cameras.

-- hide signature --
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: HX5 vs HX20 Dragonfly Macro

Splendid detail! I so hate insects, though. Ugh.

OP Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181

both pictures resized to 5 MP and then cropped, highlights, shadows, contrast, saturation and sharpness adjusted with the same values

-- hide signature --
Dutchpepper
Dutchpepper Senior Member • Posts: 1,505

Joe M Amadas wrote:

both pictures resized to 5 MP and then cropped, highlights, shadows, contrast, saturation and sharpness adjusted with the same values

Just WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! Super photos Joe, you say you resize to 5mp is that the same as cropping? I zoom into about 3x but you take it up to 4x I'll try that. Also you are using flash yes? so then you force the flash in P mode? Sorry for all the questions

regards
Craig
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loubella/

Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more
sparkle1103
sparkle1103 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,654

The H5 got it by far. I used to own an H5. They were remarkable.

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

KCHAWK
KCHAWK Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

Pardon the rookie question, how do you resize to 5MP?

Thanks,

Larry

KCHAWK's gear list:KCHAWK's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25
notime Contributing Member • Posts: 927

I believe resizing in this case is saving the existing 18mp image (4896x3672 pixels) as something like a 2604x1953 pixel image that is only 5mp.
Id imagine some photo editing programs do a better job of that than others.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,177
-- hide signature --

Excellent!!!
KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 450D
Kev The Doc Senior Member • Posts: 1,105

I have a HX5 also and thinking of upgrading to the HX20 (or HX30), what are you overall impressions of the HX20 vs HX5? Worth the upgrade?

Kev The Doc's gear list:Kev The Doc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,539

Go for the HX20 if you have the cash and want more zoom and features. I had an HX5 and returned it after a week. The smudging and water color effects were just too much for me. I bought a Nikon S9100 and love it for its excellent colors and resolution. S9100 doesn't have the bells and whistles of the HX20 (I wish it had auto-bracketing and an ND filter) nor the excellent video of the HX20.

the actual resolution of the lens is around 2000 to 2200 lines each way. So that makes everything above 5 MP kind of interpolated. If you combine 4 pixels from the hx20v into one and add a bit of sharpening then you have a great picture.

For this topic and what I use for image processing with some samples, see my HX5 and HX9v blog.

The HX20v has not really much more detail than the HX5v but it has some nice new features, so if you can get one for below 300 Euro / $ like I did, then go for it.

Depending on the situation, contrast and brightness, the HX20v makes horrible watercolor smeared pictures you can use only if resized down to full HD or absolutely stunning pictures with lots of sharp detail where you actually might believe you capture all 18 mega pixels.

The trick as always, shoot lots of pictures to learn in which situation your camera behaves in what way.
--
http://hx20v.blogspot.com

fulvio51
fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,887

Thanks for sharing and for the very interesting pieces of information!

Are you able to take macros with popup flash at 4x with HX20?

I am asking because with HX5 (which I owned) and HX7 (which I own) you can take photos at 2.4x without problems of shadow from the lenses on the subject.

All the best,
Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Just WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! Super photos Joe,

thanks

you say you resize to 5mp is that the same as cropping?

no, resizing takes the whole picture and transforms it from one size (18 MP ) to another size (like 4.5 MP)

with cropping you choose what you want from the picture and cut off the rest, like making a 16:9 from a 4:3)

I zoom into about 3x but you take it up to 4x I'll try that.

4x is the max you can do with the HX20V without loosing the frame you can capture with 1x. Over 4 x you will have more of the surroundings = your object will get smaller.

Also you are using flash yes?

for macros I use flash nearly all the time

so then you force the flash in P mode?

that is correct

Sorry for all the questions

not at all, if you got some time to waste, get some shooting ideas here:

http://hx5v.blogspot.com
http://hx9v.blogspot.com
http://hx20v.blogspot.com

Fulvio, the macro and super macro flash works perfect with the HX5, not so well with the HX9 and pretty well with the hx20.

I prefer 4x macro shooting, for best results with the flash and the additional distance I win

-- hide signature --
fulvio51
fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,887

Thanks again, Joe!
Nice to read that the popup flash works well at 4x, without shadows from lenses!

I am happy with my HX7V, that works in macro only a bit better than my previous HX5 (I gave it to my daughter, she loves all the features of this fine camera).

Some HX7V results here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1054&message=42181697
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1054&message=41737223

Cheers
Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Ivan4323 New Member • Posts: 2

Joe M Amadas wrote:

while the HX5 has her macro sweet spot at 2.4 x, the HX20 can use a 4 x zoom to keep the same frame but get more distance from the object.

here are 2 original resolution lossless crops straight out of the cameras.

-- hide signature --

Hi Joe !

I recently bought hx20 and I am a macro fan...

Can you please tell me do you take photos with 18 megapixels or 10mp ? Is it any difference at all?

In what mode do you take macros? Is it always in P mode?

What metering mode and focus do you use?

What about white balance?

What color mode are you using when taking macros?

And in the end are you boosting (sharpness,contrast...) your images in some software and how much?

SORRY if there are too many questions but your macros are amazing so I would like to hear some informations.

THANKS !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads