D lighting versus active d lighting and Hdr

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions
hatem95
hatem95 Contributing Member • Posts: 614
D lighting versus active d lighting and Hdr

While d-lighting does wonderous miracles to my shots and works perfectly evry time active d-lighting does not seem to work at all. I wonder what i am doing wrong ?. I use matrix metering use jpegs even setting active d lighting to high. High dr also has absolutely zero effect. I thoroughly tested it though i cant post examples cause i am on vacation in london. W
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt
http://www.pbase.com/hatem35

hatem95's gear list:hatem95's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
hatem95
OP hatem95 Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: D lighting versus active d lighting and Hdr

Anyone ??
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt

Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
TimS10 Junior Member • Posts: 47

Suggest you double-check manual

I think d=Lighting only works when shooting raw.

Tim
--
'perseverance furthers'

hatem95

I reread the manual again nothing to indicate it is raw only
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt

hatem95

OK and I tried RAW too and still no effect whatsoever
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt

Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,250
How did you look

hatem95 wrote:

OK and I tried RAW too and still no effect whatsoever

D-Lighting is only applied in the retouch menu to pictures that have already been taken.

ADL (Active D-Lighting) overrides your set brightness and contrast settings. In settings higher than "low", it also affects the actual exposure by adjusting aperture/shutter speed/ISO either alone or in combination depending on the exposure mode set. In manual exposure mode (no auto ISO) it only affects the meter and not the actual aperture/shutter speed/ISO....but will still affect the brightness, contrast, and tone curves. CaptureNX2 can reverse this in manual exposure mode with the raw file. Note though if shooting in other than full manual and ADL set to higher than "low"....the effects on actual exposure can not be un-done, even with the RAW file.

It's possible to "add" the effect with tone mapping and selective brightness/contrast control but it's not really the real thing as taken by the camera. If you shoot raw, only ViewNX2/CapturNX2 can apply the tone mapping accurately. For that reason, if you use third party RAW conversion it's suggested to turn ADL off.

But here's the trick....it's designed to work with matrix metering and there is no way of knowing if it was actually active as it's dynamic and scene dependent. So if you have ADL set to "normal" (as an example) and the scene is very straight forward with no major highlights or shadows (small dynamic range)...ADL may not even activate and your normal brightness and contrast settings get applied.

You say it does not work or do anything in your case. You first need to find a scene that can really show the effect. Try this Turn ADL to "off" and in aperture priority and ISO 200....take an indoor pic of a window that looks out side (dark in the house... bright outside). Frame it so the window only fills 1/3 the frame.

Now take the exact same pic with ADL set to extra high. Compare the two and note how the shutter speed of the ADL extra high pic is almost a stop faster. Good Luck

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,473
Capture NX2?

Are you using Capture NX2? If not you won't see much effect.

hatem95 wrote:

While d-lighting does wonderous miracles to my shots and works perfectly evry time active d-lighting does not seem to work at all. I wonder what i am doing wrong ?. I use matrix metering use jpegs even setting active d lighting to high. High dr also has absolutely zero effect. I thoroughly tested it though i cant post examples cause i am on vacation in london. W
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Mako2011
true

michaeladawson wrote:

Are you using Capture NX2? If not you won't see much effect.

Very true. If it is a OOC JPEG only, you'll see it in a comparison. If it's a RAW file..only ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2 will show the ADL effect properly.

hatem95
Re: How did you look

I did the same experiment but was viewing it on the camera screen only. I was in london on holiday and didnt have my laptop with me. Will try it here on the laptop screen, but the thing is D lighting did have a marvellous effect on the camera screen while the Active d lighting NONE
--
Hatem Tawfik, MD
Cairo Egypt

Mako2011
How you compare

hatem95 wrote:

I did the same experiment but was viewing it on the camera screen only. I was in london on holiday and didnt have my laptop with me. Will try it here on the laptop screen, but the thing is D lighting did have a marvellous effect on the camera screen while the Active d lighting NONE

Sure, D-lighting is being applied to a pic that has already been taken. It's like hitting the "auto color" or "vibrant" button in a post processing program. ADL affects how the picture is actually taken so you will not see any difference unless you compare it to the exact same scene taken in exactly the same exposure mode...one with ADL "off" and one with ADL "high"....then compare the two pics and the dif is very obvious, especially if the scene has really bright areas and really shadow areas.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads