t4i low frame per second

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions
adavies New Member • Posts: 5
t4i low frame per second

Hi all,

I just purchased a T4i (with 18-135 STM) and am very happy with it, BUT I was expecting 5.0 FPS for more than 3 frames (I believe the burst is 12 frames using jpeg). No matter what settings I choose, I cannot get it to go for more than 3 frames at 5 FPS. Tried manual focus/one thousandth frame rate/S3 quality (thumbnail size). I set it to jpeg + RAW and still get the same burst of 3 frames before it drops down to 1 FPS. Does anyopne have any advice?
Thanks,
Alun

Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DSHAPK Contributing Member • Posts: 782
Re: t4i low frame per second

Doesn't seem right. My t4i goes like all get do. What kind of memory card do you have. Have to tried a low level format?

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
OP adavies New Member • Posts: 5

I fomatted the card when I got it. Not sure if there was the option of low level format? I will take a look when I get home. The card is a 32 gig Sandisk extreme 45m read and 45m write. I also tried a 2gig generic I had lying around with the same results...

Nito123 New Member • Posts: 19

If you have it set to Jpeg + Raw the max FPS is going to be 3. Look at page 334 of the manual. It'll explain the drive mode and FPS.
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300007695/01/eosrt4i-eos650d-im-c-en.pdf

Jpeg+Raw = 3fps
Jpeg Large/Fine = 22 (30 with a UHS-I card)
Raw = 6

Nito123 New Member • Posts: 19

Also take a look at the chart on page 87. That should clear things up for you.

I had already tried changing the settings you mention with no luck.

I also tried reformatting the card at low level as suggested by DSHAPK, but that did not work either.

However, I found the option for resetting to factory defaults, after which time I could shoot at 5 FPS seemingly forever at Large Jpeg. Yipee!

I then went through the options and set at least 10 items to other settings (but kept it on Large Jpeg). Magically, I could only shoot 3 frames again at 5FPS...
I cannot remember which settings I changed (I did NOT set anything to RAW).
I performed a factory reset again and could shoot at 5FPS forever again...

If I get around to doing the research about which setting caused the issue, I will post it here.

Thanks for your assistance,
Alun

DSHAPK Contributing Member • Posts: 782

Large jpg you should be able to get a fair amount of shots in before the camera bogs down. Large plus raw is another story. It in essence captures two frames per shot, which is why the camera bogs down.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987

Perhaps the reason it bogs down is a too-small buffer and maybe a slow image processor.

I would hope, for the sake of a relative who just got a T4i, that the reason here is an option choice. A raw + jpeg buffer depth of three shots doesn't seem to be right for a body with good specs and a price to match.

DSHAPK wrote:

Large jpg you should be able to get a fair amount of shots in before the camera bogs down. Large plus raw is another story. It in essence captures two frames per shot, which is why the camera bogs down.

It is most certainly an option choice.

Once factory reset, with a 45m/s write card, I seem to be able to shoot continuously at 5 FPS (I got way past 40 shots before I gave up ) and this was with Large Fine setting.
I am now VERY happy with my camera.

Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186

If you enable bracketing, then the shutter will give you 3-shot bursts.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 11,542

"Welcome to the Canon Talk Forum, the place to discuss the new T4i and not compact point and shoots".

glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987

Raw + jpeg or just jpeg?

adavies wrote:

It is most certainly an option choice.

Once factory reset, with a 45m/s write card, I seem to be able to shoot continuously at 5 FPS (I got way past 40 shots before I gave up ) and this was with Large Fine setting.
I am now VERY happy with my camera.

karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

I think the auto-noise reduction feature, for one, will slow the camera down.

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more

You were on the money.

I went through the settings last night and found that it was the high iso noise reduction setting. I had set it to maximum, which limits the burst to 3...
I then found the statement on the bottom of page 124 in the manual.
A case of RTFM

XPLORx4 Junior Member • Posts: 36

I found that enabling the setting for "Lens aberration correction: Chromatic Aberration Correction" was another cause for slowing the continuous shooting frame rate.

XPLORx4's gear list:XPLORx4's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +12 more
uddhav regmi Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Can you tell me where do I find Factory Reset  ?  in T4i  ?

I tried to look and look and look - could not find.

Don't point me to maual - this page ...bla...bla...bla...  please.

Just tell me in few steps  ?

Much appreciated.

karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

uddhav regmi wrote:

Can you tell me where do I find Factory Reset ? in T4i ?

Don't point me to maual - this page ...bla...bla...bla... please.

Just tell me in few steps ?

Much appreciated.

The 4th wrench in the menu, 'clear settings'

Also, I've found that turning off the chromatic aberration correction will make the burst speed go longer than 3 shots

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,158

uddhav regmi wrote:

Don't point me to manual - this page ...bla...bla...bla... please.

Is it that hard to find in the manual? I looked under R for 'reset' and right there was 'revert to default settings, page 210' and on page 210 are three simple steps. Perhaps if English is not your first language, 'revert' didn't sound like what you needed.

MOD Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,317

karl mohr wrote:

uddhav regmi wrote:

Don't point me to maual - this page ...bla...bla...bla... please.

Much appreciated.

The 4th wrench in the menu, 'clear settings'

Also, I've found that turning off the chromatic aberration correction will make the burst speed go longer than 3 shots

I second that.  The Chromatic aberration correction causes a very big delay.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
EduPortas Regular Member • Posts: 381

Remember to Disable "Highlight Tone Priority". I believe you find this is the more obscure "Custom Settings". As other have said, it's crucial you also Disable "Chromatic Aberration Correction" and "Lens Correction".

Happy Shooting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads