Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card.

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions
eagle_cfc Regular Member • Posts: 409
Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card.

Hi all, I have one memory card which suddenly will not work on my two Sony cameras. I have a DSC-HX5 and an A77. I'm confident it is not an issue with my cameras they both read my other 2 SD cards fine.

The card in question is Fujifilm SDHC 4 card with an 8gb capacity. I can use this card in my Apple Mac and in Windows laptops so the card is not faulty.

The option to format the card is greyed out within the A77's menu (for this card only, my other SD cards can be formatted this way). I cannot offer details with my Nx5 as the battery is currently on charge.

The issue must be to do with the cards formatting or corrupted data? I have reformatted to FAT32 and also performed a secure 7 times overwrite erase to try and ensure the card is free of data, but I still get the error mentioned in the title of this thread on my A77.

The card type should not be an issue as I have a non SDHC card which works fine on my A77.

Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Prejudice is ignorance

Samsung NX5 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP eagle_cfc Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card.

Update, I have just tried recreating the folder structure of one of my other SD cards which has been formatted by my A77, but no success, I get the same error.

Also worth adding that as well working in all the computers I've tried the SD card also reads and formats fine in my friends non Sony camera, but he did notice the card still had data on it?

So it must be some sort of corruption that only Sony cameras dislike?

As mentioned before all my other SD cards work fine in my Sony cameras so the issue is not the cameras being faulty, more an issue reading this card for some reason...

Also this card became unreadable in my HX5 before I owned my A77.

-- hide signature --

Prejudice is ignorance

Denis247 Senior Member • Posts: 1,602

I'd bin it.

Even if I could somehow fiddle it to work, I wouldn't want to trust it.
--
Don't forget to smell the roses.

Denis247's gear list:Denis247's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
Peter McNeill Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

Instead of formatting, maybe try a recovery program like Recurva, Lexar image rescue (if they still offer v3 for free). etc. Possibly recovering files and data structure, might allow your cam to format the card or formatting with them instead of windows might help. Worth a shot I guess.
--

Thanks Peter, I hadn't considered that option, but possibly too late now I've done several formats and a 7 times overwrite.

Oddly it still had all the NX5 pics and structure on it when the NX5 decided it didn't like it anymore ):

I think I'll go with the chappy above and not use it in my cameras anymore, I'll keep it for transferring files between devices and such like.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Prejudice is ignorance

Shercando Senior Member • Posts: 2,542

You didn't say you had but if you format your card and delete images in a computer instead of in camera this is the result that you can expect.
--Shercando

Thanks Shercando, that is useful to know.

On this occasion the card stopped working while still inside my NX5, one day I went to take more photos and it would not read it, luckily I was able to remove the card from the camera and still access the photos I had already taken before the this happened.

I still find it odd that the only thing that won't read this card is my Sony cameras, got to be something on the card they don't like.

I actually went out today and filled my 16gb card for the first time and had to stop taking photos, so it looks like I'll be buying another card later.

Shercando wrote:

You didn't say you had but if you format your card and delete images in a computer instead of in camera this is the result that you can expect.
--Shercando

-- hide signature --

Prejudice is ignorance

busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,675

I always delete photos with the computer after the upload is complete and have never had a problem. I agree that one should format in camera; I do it once a year whether it is needed or not.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
Shield3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,440

I had this happen once with my A77. Did a low level format on the card, popped it in the camera and all has been well since; 1000+ pictures later.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Johnd22 New Member • Posts: 4

been reading the convo and still could get an answer. my sony a77 suddenly wont read my long used memory card and said "unable to read memory card, reinsert..." tried another sd card and still wont work but both sd card work well in my computer. currently using adata adhc 16gb class 10. please help

Jb sydney New Member • Posts: 1

I have a sony rx100 m3 and am having the same error message. I bought the camera for a 5 month holiday and 8 weeks in the camera is useless. I bought it in australia but am currently in Switzerland. Not sure i can do much from here but will be getting a full refund when i get home and will not buy sony again. I have tried 2 other brand new sd cards and get same result. I will probably have to buy a cheaper camera in meantime to keep taking pics. I am very angry.

jgreen22 New Member • Posts: 4

My Sony A6000 is 2 years old and now I'm getting this message. Used 2 different cards that both work on my computer. And they did not work even after quick and regular formats.

So the problem is with the camera. Tried cleaning it with alcohol with no success.

BTW, my flash popped and broke along with the pancake lens and the WIFI never worked.  Very disappointed with Sony.

jgreen22 New Member • Posts: 4

I solved the same issue by CLEANING the contacts inside the Sony A6000.
Get a product like Clear Connections by The LASERline Company ($6 on Amazon)!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads