Alaska Cruise Continued (many images)

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions
Sinnettc
Sinnettc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,511
Alaska Cruise Continued (many images)

My last post covered Seattle to Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau. Through the joys of Flickr that post is now hosed, so don't bother to look for it. This thread will cover Skagway to Victoria BC.

Skagway is where the overland trail to the Yukon gold rush started. We booked an excursion on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad. The WP&YR is a narrow gauge railroad that climbs up through White Pass and into the Yukon Territory.

On the way out of Skagway we passed one of the old engines

Across the river there was an old gold dredge.

We were at the back of the train going up the hill.

The tracks wound up the mountains and through the woods

In some places hugging sheer cliffs . . . !

We crossed a river,

clung to the edges of cliffs

and went through tunnels.

We passed the old foot trail

on our way to the US/Canadian border.

They switched the engine to our end of the train

The trip down was somewhat faster

We could see the cruise ships in the distance

And eventually we got back to Skagway

-- hide signature --
 Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
BrianC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,590
Re: Alaska Cruise Continued (many images)

Looks like an awesome trip by your photos.......must have been a few questionable moments on those cliffs.

Did you get any video too?

Brian

BrianC's gear list:BrianC's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +1 more
Sinnettc
OP Sinnettc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,511

Thanks Brian

No, no video I'm afraid. K20D doesn't do it and I had enough hardware in 2x K20D's & 3 big lenses (DA* 16-50, 50-135 & 300/4) that a video camera would have been too much.

Chris
=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.pbase.com/sinnettc

Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

I enjoyed seeing your photos. Thanks for posting. I'd like to take a cruise like that.
--
I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs
Kamgal Junior Member • Posts: 34

Thanks for the great photo tour. My six-year old grandson is visiting and he loved them, especially all the photographers hanging out the side of the train taking pictures.

Sharon

Demoguy
Demoguy Regular Member • Posts: 376

Chris,

All great travel images I like the first tunnel image a lot, the exposure looks spot on.
Thanks,
Joe

Demoguy's gear list:Demoguy's gear list
Nikon D300 Pentax K-3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +15 more
Sinnettc

Your grandson likes trains, I take it? He'd love this one.

I was one of about 6-8 photographers taking turns on the back platform of the train. It was entertaining but I kept worrying that I'd knock a lens hood off and it would be gone!
--
Chris
=-=-=-=-=-

Sinnettc

Thanks!
--
Chris
=-=-=-=-=-

Sinnettc
Skagway to Eldred Rock

After the train ride and lunch in Skagway

we returned to the ship. Ours is behind the Disney ship

The crews of ships visiting Skagway used to memorialize their visits on the cliff by the pier.

The oldest ones we saw were from the 1920's

While we waited for the ship to sail I went up on deck and watched the helicopters buzz back and forth

and a salmon get caught

The Alaska State Ferry, Malaspina, left . . .

And pretty soon we left Skagway behind too.

We headed down Taiya Inlet

Past waterfalls

The coast range

and Haines

and on to Mud Bay, where the runoff from a glacier turns the water brown . . .

We continued down the Lynn Canal past glaciers and islands

Eventually passing Eldred Rock, where my Dad spent 3 weeks in the mid-1960's building the helo pad. Meanwhile Mom and I were living in a motel in Ketchikan.

The next day was spent at sea, resting after 3 busy days. I didn't take any pictures.

-- hide signature --
Les James
Les James Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Skagway to Eldred Rock

Lovely series, look forward to some more. Enjoy yourself.
--
Users/lesjames/Desktop/Olympus icon

Les James's gear list:Les James's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
bigshorty66 Regular Member • Posts: 373

Thanks Alaska is on my bucket list for sure.

Sinnettc
Last Day - Victoria

Our last day put is inside the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the way to Victoria. The shipping traffic picked up.

We docked in Victoria around 6:30 PM, then went to Butschart Gardens as the sun was setting

The place is beautiful and really needs more time than we were able to give it.

maybe with a bit less crowds though . . .

As it got dark the photography got challenging, especially with no tripod

After it got dark the evening, and the last excursion of our trip, ended with fireworks.

We returned to the ship, which sailed at midnight

and woke up at the dock in Seattle

-- hide signature --
nidzo Forum Member • Posts: 58

really nice serie...thanks for sharing

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,608
Re: Last Day - Victoria

Wonderful Chris - I jealous, maybe one day!
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more
Sinnettc

Highly recommended, my friend, though I suppose you're closer to Antarctica which is one of those places I'd like to visit if I win the lottery. Gotta buy a ticket . . .

-- hide signature --
GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

I sent a link to this thread to my wife. She liked your shots and wants to go on this cruise.
--

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs
Michael de Ruijter Contributing Member • Posts: 840

Lovely shots Chris! I envy the whale activity you witnessed.

I have done an Alaskan cruise on three occasions, and each time I flew into Anchorage and disembarked in Vancouver (where I live), so it's very convenient.

I highly recommend that anyone who undertakes an Alaskan cruise either starts or finishes in Anchorage. The scenery gets more and more spectacular the further north one goes.

And go in May - the weather is best then. The first two times were in May, and not a drop of rain or drizzle, not even in Ketchikan. Just no whales really.

Now Antarctica... very pricey. I got this last cruise for $400 per person. I think Antarctica would be more like $6,000 each! Big difference in price. It's even cheaper to fly here and do Alaska.

-Mike

Sinnettc
Vancouver

We sailed out of Vancouver in 2002. 3 days to Ketchikan and back via the Strait of Georgia. Pre-digital days and my longest lens was a Sears A 200/4.5. Not long enough (trip or lens) but we did see Orcas.

We need to go back to Vancouver one of these days; maybe with the boat.

-- hide signature --
Sinnettc

LOL . . . sorry.

GPGeneralPhoto wrote:

I sent a link to this thread to my wife. She liked your shots and wants to go on this cruise.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads