companion camera for xz1

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: companion camera for xz1

Paul T. wrote:

anniejohn wrote:

Thanks Paul,

I'm sure that's great advice. My local store has a good deal on a camera with some lenses now, with a 90 return policy, but I have to buy soon. Maybe I'll just buy the nikon 3100 and then if I don't end up thinking I need it, I can always return it in November.

Sigh .....

Paul.

Lighten up. For some people $500 isn't a big deal. If she wants to buy a DSLR as well as the xz-1 and can afford to do so then all good.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Paul T. Regular Member • Posts: 186

linux99 wrote:

Paul T. wrote:

anniejohn wrote:

Thanks Paul,

I'm sure that's great advice. My local store has a good deal on a camera with some lenses now, with a 90 return policy, but I have to buy soon. Maybe I'll just buy the nikon 3100 and then if I don't end up thinking I need it, I can always return it in November.

Sigh .....

Paul.

Lighten up ...

I simply wrote what I felt after reading the post. I'll now do the same again ...

LOL.

Paul.

Paul T.'s gear list:Paul T.'s gear list
Olympus SZ-31MR iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
OP anniejohn Regular Member • Posts: 143

Actually, for me, as a single mother, $500 IS a big deal. The only reason I'm considering the dslr is that baby and childhood is so precious (for me miraculous, literally), that I wanted to preserve it to the degree one can with the best shots I could manage. I've consistently read great things here about the xz1, which is why it was my first choice, but I also keep reading about the limitations it can have, particularly when working with children. Everyone's advice is valuable, since you all have worked with many many more cameras in many many more situations than I have, which is why I'm soliciting it. Micro 4 thirds, point and shoot, dslr, travel zoom--there are SO many choices. And it's BECAUSE $500 means a lot to me that I'm trying to make the best choice possible.

At the same time, again because babyhood is so precious, I don't want to have to spend a ton of time futzing with a camera or processing files with software, because those are minutes I don't get back with the Bug.

AJ

tyhsu Regular Member • Posts: 212

anniejohn wrote:

Actually, for me, as a single mother, $500 IS a big deal. The only reason I'm considering the dslr is that baby and childhood is so precious (for me miraculous, literally), that I wanted to preserve it to the degree one can with the best shots I could manage.

You will never carry your DSLR with you, because there will already be too much stuff you'll need to worry about, so anything even slightly inconvenient will fall by the wayside. This is true even in a two parent household, so I can only imagine that it will be even more true in a one parent household.

You'll take more shots with a camera that's always in your pocket/purse than a camera that sits on a shelf at home. No matter how good the shelf camera is, it'll rarely see use.

I went with a m43 camera, the Olympus E-PM1 (instead of the XZ-1, coincidentally), since the m43 cameras, at the time, were the only small cameras with fast autofocus speeds. Given the choice today, I might have picked up the Sony RX100.

you WILL need a few decent 45Mb/s Class 10 SD cards

I don't know exactly how speed plays into the SD cards--I didn't even know they HAD speeds!-- but I'll get a couple!

This is true even in a two parent household, so I can only imagine that it will be even more true in a one parent household.

This is so true! When thinking of my friend who carries around his dslr--his wife carries everything else! Good point! Maybe I'll wait until she can actually walk and is out in the world more to get a dslr--i'm sure they will have changed radically by then! Like Don indicated, it might be a while before I need a longer range!

Well, I get to actually play with the xz-1 soon because I should have it in my hot little hands tomorrow. It will be nice to see how it compares to the one I currently have (the C-60 and my dad's powershot s2is)--hopefully it will be a lot better. It will suck if I go to all of this trouble and can't tell the difference!

AJ

rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,402

Annie,

With your budget, I think you did as well as you possibly can. A dslr will only give you significantly better performance if you end up buying faster lenses for it. The xz-1 lens is nice and fast at 1.8-2.5, one of the best out there, while the kit lens that comes with any dslr will be much slower at 3.5-5.6. Really, no benefit to the SLR unless you get a faster lens too, like a 35mm or 50mm 1.8, which should run $100-150 extra.

I think you got a great deal, the xz-1 will take nice shots, and it's much easier to take with you when packing all the kid supplies, so why not try it out, and if it's not working out in a few weeks you can always get a dslr, but chances are it will end up over $500.

Good luck!

Hi All,

The camera came yesterday and after rushing to get a sd card, I was able to play with it a bit. My only problem so far is the recovery time between shots. I don't know what the technical term for this is, but once I take a shot, it seems to take quite a long time before it is ready to take another shot. Not great when you are tyring to photograph a baby. Am I doing something wrong? are there tips? or is this just the way it is. (I did get the extreme 45 mb/s card, so it's not that)

AJ

Hey Don,

Can you give me some advice on the flash? The couple times I've used it, it has WAY over-powered the subject. I think the setting I have might be wrong. In my old camera, it just flashed automatically when it thought it needed it. In this one, it doesn't seem to. And when I force it to flash by using fill, it keeps the shutter speed low and then everything is just white. Any advice?

AJ

jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,229

DSLR? Well, I'd recommend a Pentax K-5, or maybe their new K-30. Utterly, totally water and mudproof, so you can get right in there as Junior burps up his cereal, or airmails that upcoming first-birthday cake!

And, great image quality. Like the XZ-1, photographer's cameras.

If you go with Nikon, I'd get the 5100... MUCH better image quality than the 3100/3200... and not much more money.
--
Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com/xz1tips.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads