Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mwinter New Member • Posts: 3
Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I have just bought my 7D and after upgrading the Firmware to version 2.0.0 I started the set up process.

I was keen to use the C1, C2 and C3 (Cx) functions for different styles. I had anticipated these being very useful indeed and expected to be able to set shooting mode (P, Tv, Av, etc) from the Q-screen. However, I find that I cannot set it from this screen and it is set at 'P', which is not what I want at all, and I can see no other way of setting shooting mode in Cx.

Also I quite like the viewfinder grids but find that Grid 1 and Grid 2 return the same grid (Grid 2 I think with 4 horizontal and six vertical lines, either only one option rather than two).

Am I missing something with the Cx modes or is there a major error in the firmware update?

Can anyone help with the Grid issue?

Is anyone experiencing the same problems and effects?

Hope you can help. Superb bit of kit, by the way, and looking forward to getting it properly set up so that I can start the on the learning curve to exploiting its fuller capabilities.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mwinter OP New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

Ok, the Grid issue is clearly one to put down to experience.

I have since discovered that the grid options relate to Live View mode and that the VF Grid Display (3 horzxontal and five vertical, as opposed to 4/6 in my original post) has just the one option in the 'normal' viewfinder'.

I do hope that someone can help me with a similarly simple answer to my other, much more critical query, regarding setting shooting mode in C1, C2 and C3.

Many thanks in advance.

tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,256
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I had heard of the problems with C1 , C2 , and C3 , so I have not upgraded yet . I shoot mostly for DOF , so focusing is not as critical as someone who want the bokeh .
I try to stay in the 5.6 / F 8 range

 tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
anttitapani
anttitapani Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

-- hide signature --
 anttitapani's gear list:anttitapani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EOS 7D +3 more
tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,256
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I mainly use TV and AV modes .
It is really nice to switch to the / a C mode and have it set up .

Since I have only printed about 10 shots in 30 years over 8.5 X 11 , I think I would be better off with C modes than a little better focusing .

 tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
snappey Senior Member • Posts: 1,050
No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)

(nt)

mwinter OP New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

anttitapani wrote:

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

Many thanks anttipani - this is just a little bit counter intuitive (to me) but it certainly works and I am very grateful for your input.

To be very clear to anybody equally as confused as I was. Set the dial to the required shooting mode and then register C1, C2, C3 - this sets the shooting mode to the Cx and you can then proceed to makeall of the other settings including Custom Settings before registering again to save these.

Grateful thanks to you as neither the Canon manual nor aftermarket books articulate this at all, let alone clearly.

To conclude

I paticularly like the ability to restrict the upper range of the auto-ISO.

tonyjr - the problem was one of my ignorance and not of the firmware.

-- hide signature --
Thorbard Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

mwinter wrote:

anttitapani wrote:

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

Many thanks anttipani - this is just a little bit counter intuitive (to me) but it certainly works and I am very grateful for your input.

To be very clear to anybody equally as confused as I was. Set the dial to the required shooting mode and then register C1, C2, C3 - this sets the shooting mode to the Cx and you can then proceed to makeall of the other settings including Custom Settings before registering again to save these.

Grateful thanks to you as neither the Canon manual nor aftermarket books articulate this at all, let alone clearly.

To conclude

I paticularly like the ability to restrict the upper range of the auto-ISO.

tonyjr - the problem was one of my ignorance and not of the firmware.

-- hide signature --

I'm fairly sure this behaviour is accurately described in the camera manual. Thats how I found out how to do it.

 Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,256
Re: No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)

So there is no problem with upgrade concerning the C modes ?

Since I normally shoot at F 5.6 / F 8 - focusing has not been a problem - or maybe it was and I just am not good enough to see it .

By the way - has anyone else been able to get a burst of 12 shots with a sandish 32 - 6o mb ? With the 30 mb , I was stuck at 6 burst shots - RAW + JPEG .

 tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,897
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I installed the new firmware and checked it out briefly but haven't really used it. I haven't used my 7D much since I got my 5D3. Did they change the behaviour of the C modes? I never found them very useful on the 7D because they revert back to the stored setting when the 7D "goes to sleep", or when you change to a different mode. I very much prefer the way the C modes work on the 5D3. If you change any of the settings while shooting in one of the C modes, it retains those setting when it goes to sleep, and it updates the stored C mode setting when you switch modes. I think you can change the way that last part works, so that it doesn't update the stored settings when you change modes, but I prefer to have it update the stored settings.

 KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +16 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: No problem (Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?)

tonyjr wrote:

By the way - has anyone else been able to get a burst of 12 shots with a sandish 32 - 6o mb ? With the 30 mb , I was stuck at 6 burst shots - RAW + JPEG .

I even got bursts of up to 18 shots with a similar card after the update...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

 Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
GammyKnee Contributing Member • Posts: 574
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I would blummin' love to have C1-C3 working like that. Nice to know that Canon have finally implemented it that way, albeit not on my 7D.

 GammyKnee's gear list:GammyKnee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
anttitapani
anttitapani Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Check your high ISO setting...

and choose a lower setting.

-- hide signature --
 anttitapani's gear list:anttitapani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EOS 7D +3 more
KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,897
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

GammyKnee wrote:

I would blummin' love to have C1-C3 working like that. Nice to know that Canon have finally implemented it that way, albeit not on my 7D.

It's a wonderful thing. My two main C modes are manual exposure modes, which I regularly tweak throughout long shooting sessions. Having it default back to the saved settings when it goes to sleep, or when I change modes, pretty much renders it useless for me personally. I didn't know about the different operation of C modes with the 5D3 when I got it, and I was very plesantly suprised.

 KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +16 more
p4pictures New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I have set my C modes up so that they have longer auto power off settings on the 7D. This means that the camera doesn't go to sleep as quickly in the C mode.

Basically set the auto power off time to say 8 minutes then, register the C mode, then put the power off back to your "usual" settings.

I've done this to make a 7D more suited to studio work by having it also switch the aperture to the main dial and the shutter speed to the rear dial. Then you can set a shutter speed and lock it using the rear switch.

However now with 5D3 new approach of auto-update is great and a welcome unexpected improvement.

 p4pictures's gear list:p4pictures's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +11 more
wuzzittoya New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

I did the firmware upgrade recently and while shooting on vacation with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II lens the camera locked up twice. Both times the back screen switched to Q mode and nothing would work (including the on/off switch). I sent a message to Canon tech support and they are telling me the only fix for this is to send it back to the factory...

Isn't there anywhere where the old firmware would be available to change it back, at least temporarily, or reinstall the firmware upgrade in case something was corrupted in the file? It is the only thing changed and the first time I've ever had a problem with the camera.

photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

wuzzittoya wrote:

I did the firmware upgrade recently and while shooting on vacation with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II lens the camera locked up twice. Both times the back screen switched to Q mode and nothing would work (including the on/off switch). I sent a message to Canon tech support and they are telling me the only fix for this is to send it back to the factory...

Isn't there anywhere where the old firmware would be available to change it back, at least temporarily, or reinstall the firmware upgrade in case something was corrupted in the file? It is the only thing changed and the first time I've ever had a problem with the camera.

I have heard that if you download earlier versions of EOS Utility and then use that to install earlier version of firmware it will work, the Newest version of EOS Utility will not let you do it
--
WSSA # 165
http://www.johneasterly.com

 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,674
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

KatManDEW wrote:

I installed the new firmware and checked it out briefly but haven't really used it. I haven't used my 7D much since I got my 5D3. Did they change the behaviour of the C modes? I never found them very useful on the 7D because they revert back to the stored setting when the 7D "goes to sleep", or when you change to a different mode. I very much prefer the way the C modes work on the 5D3. If you change any of the settings while shooting in one of the C modes, it retains those setting when it goes to sleep, and it updates the stored C mode setting when you switch modes. I think you can change the way that last part works, so that it doesn't update the stored settings when you change modes, but I prefer to have it update the stored settings.

This is really good news. I've been moaning about this on and off since my 40D, and of course the 7D didn't fix it.

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,674
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

mwinter wrote:

anttitapani wrote:

You need to be in the specific mode (Av, Tv, M ...) if you want to register that in C1, C2 or C3.

Many thanks anttipani - this is just a little bit counter intuitive (to me) but it certainly works and I am very grateful for your input.

To be very clear to anybody equally as confused as I was. Set the dial to the required shooting mode and then register C1, C2, C3 - this sets the shooting mode to the Cx and you can then proceed to makeall of the other settings including Custom Settings before registering again to save these.

That's still not right. All you have to do is make all your settings - mode dial together with all the usual camera settings from aperture and shutter speed right down to custom functions - exactly as you would in normal use; then use the menu to Register all that to C1, C2 or C3. You don't have to do it in two stages as you describe.

Grateful thanks to you as neither the Canon manual nor aftermarket books articulate this at all, let alone clearly.

Actually is is correctly described in the manual - see page 229/230 if you have the latest version of the manual or 223/224 in the older (firmware 1.x.x) version.

I think the real problem is the sheer quantity of information you have to assimilate with a new 7D!

Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: Canon 7D Firmware v2 - Problem?

That's still not right. All you have to do is make all your settings - mode dial together with all the usual camera settings from aperture and shutter speed right down to custom functions - exactly as you would in normal use; then use the menu to Register all that to C1, C2 or C3. You don't have to do it in two stages as you describe.

What you say is certainly correct. However, if there is a delay before you save the settings to the custom button, everything you did will be reset if the camera goes into standby mode. This is also true if you make changes while in one of the custom modes and do not re-save the change. When the camera is turned on or wakes up from standby mode, all of the custom functions are reset to the values when last saved. Consequently, when I do an update that I want to remain effective to a custom mode, I try to save it ASAP so that it is not lost. This behavior does not apply to the standard modes. They will retain the state they were in when the camera is turned off or goes into standby. I have not tried the V2 firmware yet, and am assuming this was not changed!

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads