What has happened to Carl Rytterfalk? Locked

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,614
Re: What has happened to Carl Rytterfalk?

Tom Schum wrote:

All this time I thought that his protest about the astronomical price of the SD1, as well as his criticism of the bug-ridden SPP, cost him his Sigma sponsorship, so he simply let his site lie fallow.

Lets not start rumors Tom. LOL. Carl is very busy!

Has he even done any hobby-type posting of any photos on his site recently? I thought it was an occasional comment in a thread or two and that was all.

I hope he is doing well, wherever his career is taking him!
--
Tom Schum

-- hide signature --

Gary Mercer

philippegalowich New Member • Posts: 7

I guess there's a compound of different factors :

• Carl was always so 'proud' about the Foveon thing, so convinced that this was absolutely the best technology, the way to go. Maybe he hoped that the SD1 would be the one piece of hardware able to prove this to the world and was in for a little bit of a letdown :

• initial pricing strategy (disappointing)

• usability/speed (so so)

• software/3rd part support

• but what I suspect the most is that the new Foveon sensor maybe for reasons of pixel pitch has a slightly less 3D quality. I had a couple of e-mail exchanges with him and I know that that was his 'thing' religion and there was just no way to 'sell' him anything less, so there might be a big disappointment for him.

• Plus it's true that the whole blog became that battleground with a lot of uninteresting pro/con Foveon discussions which might have become a tad boring for him.

• Then maybe family life, work, new set of priorities.

Maybe he's just biding his time, wait for a new breath of inspiration, but it's true that the 'disappearing act' is kinda strange. But I think as long as the site is not down it's a sign that there's maybe some new stuff to come, whenever he feels ready for it.

MBenChikh
MBenChikh Junior Member • Posts: 34

His Flickr is no longer updated as well as his YouTube account, he just disappeared from the net, which is a kinda strange for a photographer.

MBenChikh's gear list:MBenChikh's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +4 more
pixtorial Regular Member • Posts: 421

I'm so surprised at how willing people are to make assumptions about the motivations for the actions of another. I can guess at 1001 things that Mr. Rytterfalk has chosen to focus on besides the internet, but they are at best just wild guesses. I'm satisfied by his response that Carl and Linn are well, and really that is all that matters, no?

As for why a person would want to disconnect from social media, it seems a sane path and only stands out because, in the end, the rest of us are probably lunatics running amok on the asylum.

Why a photographer would want to forego an internet presence, I can think of plenty of reasons. But remember that photography is just one dimension of the talents of Mr. Rytterfalk.

As to Carl or any other fan of a particular camera, technology, or whatever, being "proud", I'm not even sure what that is supposed to mean. Being a proponent of something you find value in is not pride, it is enthusiasm. And, at least in theory, those of us here are photography enthusiasts, no?

Ed, by the way I enjoyed your well crafted little response. Always a pleasure to hear from you my friend.

Oh, talking of assumptions ... what makes you say that 'photography is just one dimension of the talents of Mr. Rytterfalk.' ... Which ones would that be then?

It's just funny how you have a condescendant attitude towards the 'assumptions' of others just to inject your own, very vague, unfounded, yet glorifying assumption into the mix.

Erik Magnuson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247

philippegalowich wrote:

what makes you say that 'photography is just one dimension of the talents of Mr. Rytterfalk [...] very vague, unfounded, yet glorifying assumption

It's so vague that it's almost certainly true: how many people have you ever heard of who are truly one-dimensional? Now consider that several of these commenters have personally met Carl and/or corresponded with him for years and it becomes more than a simple vague assumption. So beware of glorifying assumptions that are primarily your own.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson wrote:

It's so vague that it's almost certainly true: how many people have you ever heard of who are truly one-dimensional? Now consider that several of these commenters have personally met Carl and/or corresponded with him for years and it becomes more than a simple vague assumption. So beware of glorifying assumptions that are primarily your own.

OMG ... yes for sure, this proves what exactly? We'd first of all need to know who those ominous people that conversed with him and on what authority they can attest of talent ... I don't really think a bunch of hobbysit photographers actually can comment on such things ... we'll see what happens, this is just 'empty talk' (or bar talk) ... I think that's best, no? ... ; )

Erik Magnuson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247

philippegalowich wrote:

OMG ... yes for sure, this proves what exactly?

It only proves that certain people use polite language to describe someone not present. What else needs to be proven?

we'll see what happens, this is just 'empty talk' (or bar talk) ... I think that's best, no?

Why, yes. Do you go into bars mainly to provoke confrontations? There is nothing to see here except that some people have come to respect Carl for one reason or another.

-- hide signature --

Erik

I just don't think that it is very fair to accuse somebody of making assumptions :

• On a forum post where everybody makes assumptions, nobody here has any 'hard info'

• And then in a same post making a even bigger assumption himself ...

It just does not really make sense does it?

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,281
Re: Speculations and speculations

philippegalowich wrote:

I just don't think that it is very fair to accuse somebody of making assumptions :

• On a forum post where everybody makes assumptions, nobody here has any 'hard info'

• And then in a same post making a even bigger assumption himself ...

It just does not really make sense does it?

Why am I reading this?

And, why do I bother to answer?

Dont really know.

Hmmmm .. Philippe, is your quest necessary?

Erik is right ... and moreover .. writing something kind that is speculation IS more acceptable than the opposite, ie. writing something unkind that is speculation.

All this said, I think we really only embarrass Carl with discussing him like this.

Hi Carl! If you read this - take care!

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,221

Actually I think Carl has been kidnapped by space aliens and it's so peaceful and quiet up there in comparison to here that he doesn't want to come back.

Usee
Usee Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

mike earussi wrote:

Actually I think Carl has been kidnapped by space aliens and it's so peaceful and quiet up there in comparison to here that he doesn't want to come back.

...well, that seems to be one of the better guesses - at least in comparison to ancient guesses around Foveon technologie and Sigma cameras...

...the most interesting conversations I had with Sigma associated people (official and inofficial) was the ones with Carl - maybe he was too TRUE for the others...

...but You may be right, Mike.

-- hide signature --

It doesn't matter what You do - it matters how You do it, to get satisfaction!

Envy is the highest form of recognition.

Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!

Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!

Uli

Usee's gear list:Usee's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
pixtorial Regular Member • Posts: 421

Usee wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

...well, that seems to be one of the better guesses - at least in comparison to ancient guesses around Foveon technologie and Sigma cameras...

...the most interesting conversations I had with Sigma associated people (official and inofficial) was the ones with Carl - maybe he was too TRUE for the others...

I saws them myself, they were, were, scary things. Somethin' about takin' all the Sigma users 'cause they represented superior intelligence here on Earth.

The scariest thing was... they wore Canon t-shirts and their spaceship it was shaped like a giant Canon 70-300L.

I may never sleep again.

-- hide signature --

Uli

Usee
Usee Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

pixtorial wrote:

Usee wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

...well, that seems to be one of the better guesses - at least in comparison to ancient guesses around Foveon technology and Sigma cameras...

I saws them myself, they were, were, scary things. Somethin' about takin' all the Sigma users 'cause they represented superior intelligence here on Earth.

The scariest thing was... they wore Canon t-shirts and their spaceship it was shaped like a giant Canon 70-300L.

I may never sleep again.

Well, You describe things other people would like to have instead of their own problems...

...however...

-

...to be surrounded by Canon T-shirts IS scary!

-

I guess, You did zoom with a Bigma 50-500 on a lens throwing event...
...and were spotted by a security man.

-- hide signature --

Uli

-- hide signature --

Uli

Usee's gear list:Usee's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
Chuck Lantz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,332

MacroMD wrote:

According to his blog, he was banned from the dpreview forums (a while ago) because one of the pictures he posted from China (a cultural shot showing their taste in certain "foods" that some dpreview subscribers found offensive; the shot was of a dog being cooked for a meal). I won't post the link to the relevant blog page here since it might get me banned (the blog page has the photo on it), but you can easily find it by googling the terms "carl rytterfalk banned dpreview".

If DP banned someone for posting shots of roasted dogs in China, I wonder what they'd do to me if I posted a link to photos of the mainland Chinese authorities executing prostitutes they had rounded-up to put a "clean look" in Bejing before their Olympic Games?

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"
"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.
... "Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner ...
"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo ... "Speed kills" - No, it doesn't. Speed has never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop that does it. - Me ... http://www.ChuckLantz.com ... Confessions from the middle of the pack: What I lacked in skill and courage I made up for in enthusiasm. As a result, I was enthusiastic beyond belief.

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Nikon D2X Nikon D700 +25 more
Erational Regular Member • Posts: 184

Chuck Lantz wrote:

meone for posting shots of roasted dogs in China, I wonder what they'd do to me if I posted a link to photos of the mainland Chinese authorities executing prostitutes they had rounded-up to put a "clean look" in Bejing before their Olympic Games?

Damn, Chuck, you had to go and get real on us.  Didn't know that had gone on. ......oh, Chuck's account vaporized.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads