D4 Reikan Focal Results - Apature aperture test. Can anyone compare

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions
Kult Photo New Member • Posts: 4
D4 Reikan Focal Results - Apature aperture test. Can anyone compare

Just got Focal Pro to test a my D4 and D800 that came back from Nikon. Looking at my photos from my D4 it was still front focusing and a bit soft. The peak image value was around 1554 for that camera. Same lens on the D800 was around 2822 ... The test was run at 1.3m distance with an EV of 10.2 or so... Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G was the lens tested with.

Almost regretting getting rid of my backup D3s ... Have had two bad D4 bodies with focus issues so far. Any constructive input is welcome. Also if anyone else has a test with the D4 and 24-70 lens it would be great to see what your results were.

Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,459
Re: D4 Reikan Focal Results - Apature aperture test. Can anyone compare

Kult Photo wrote:

Just got Focal Pro to test a my D4 and D800 that came back from Nikon. Looking at my photos from my D4 it was still front focusing and a bit soft. The peak image value was around 1554 for that camera. Same lens on the D800 was around 2822 ... The test was run at 1.3m distance with an EV of 10.2 or so... Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G was the lens tested with.

Almost regretting getting rid of my backup D3s ... Have had two bad D4 bodies with focus issues so far. Any constructive input is welcome. Also if anyone else has a test with the D4 and 24-70 lens it would be great to see what your results were.

I am not sure, but the results from your D4 my be worse than the D800 simply due to the extra resolution of the D800.

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,253
Re: Yes but

Kult Photo wrote:

Just got Focal Pro to test a my D4 and D800 that came back from Nikon. Looking at my photos from my D4 it was still front focusing and a bit soft.

There are considerable doubts as to whether or not Focal Pro can be reliable.

Does your camera front focus using Nikon's free guidance on how to check focus accuracy?
If not consign your Focal Pro results to the trash can ;(

Digressing it amuses me that some think they need some special set up (which usually fails to meet Nikon's guidance on how to get good AF results) to find out if a camera or lens is focusing accurate with a good AF subject
--
Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
boels069 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

They are reliable and repeatable, even when shot outside the ballpark of Nikon, Canon, etc.

That raises the question whether a brand's specs are up to real-life situations.

boels069's gear list:boels069's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +2 more
michaeleclark Regular Member • Posts: 301

My D800 also has focus issues, though in my case it is actually the R focus point rather than the left. But luckily my D4 is spot-on at all focus points tested. Matches perfectly with the corresponding LV images. In fact, if anything the AF images from the farthest sensor are a tad sharper, but all were excellent and much better than the D800 outer focus point images.

Did not need Reikan to demonstrate this- just used Thom Hogan's suggested approach. Frankly I would be a little hesitant to rely on software-driven solutions alone at this point. They may help in quantifying the extent of focus problems and for testing potential improvements following service, but I still would want to eyeball all of the focus test results.
--
Michael E. Clark

michaeleclark's gear list:michaeleclark's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 +11 more
newtoy Regular Member • Posts: 391

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

"AF Fine Adjustment" test is very reliable if the lighting is right. I test on my D800 and 24-70 for 7 times with difference distant and target size. The results are all within 2 units and the curve fit extremely well. But the focus quality numbers can only be use to compare within a single test. Magnification on the target affect the numbers a great deal. On my test, the numbers range between 1700 to 2800 on different setup.

Multi Focus points test is not that reliable. I can create my own result by lighting the target up differently. i.e. if I light the target one side brighter then the other side. I can create the left side focus problem or right side focus problem. A more reliable test is judge between manual live view focus and manual VF focus by the green dot.

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +23 more
OP Kult Photo New Member • Posts: 4
Re: D4 Reikan Focal Results - Aperture sharpness test. Can anyone compare

Sorry if I was not clear.. I was asking if anyone had a result to compare to mine for the aperture sharpness test for the D4. It came back and all the images look very soft even with manual focus. I ran the Aperture sharpness test and noticed a huge difference between the D800 and D4 at the same distance, same lighting and lens.

Kult Photo wrote:

OP Kult Photo New Member • Posts: 4

I wasn't too clear in my first post. The issue that I am having is soft images from the D4 . I have micro adjusted it and am getting super soft image when shooting at the center point on the same lens and target compared to my D800. I wanted to see if anyone else had run the aperture sharpness test on the D4 and 24-70 lens combo at about 1.3 meters in distance. The focus seems to be uniform now after an adjustment at Nikon.

michaeleclark wrote:

My D800 also has focus issues, though in my case it is actually the R focus point rather than the left. But luckily my D4 is spot-on at all focus points tested. Matches perfectly with the corresponding LV images. In fact, if anything the AF images from the farthest sensor are a tad sharper, but all were excellent and much better than the D800 outer focus point images.

Did not need Reikan to demonstrate this- just used Thom Hogan's suggested approach. Frankly I would be a little hesitant to rely on software-driven solutions alone at this point. They may help in quantifying the extent of focus problems and for testing potential improvements following service, but I still would want to eyeball all of the focus test results.
--
Michael E. Clark

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,253

boels069 wrote:

They are reliable and repeatable, even when shot outside the ballpark of Nikon, Canon, etc.

So is the amount of extra fuel used if you run your central heating in the middle of winter with all the windows and doors open.

That raises the question whether a brand's specs are up to real-life situations.

I have used Nikon AF for 13 years and found when I get poor focus the target was one of the 6 types Nikon mention or, or the subject was moving too fast for AF to keep pace.

As light level, maximum lens aperture, image magnification, subject contrast, focal length and subject type influence how well (or not) AF works it is not possible to say precisely which targets will produce poor results when.

One thing I have found testing my D800 where my D3s AF is not good is the D800 AF is much better

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads