RX100 battery drain culprit

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions
kshark New Member • Posts: 16
RX100 battery drain culprit

I ran into the battery drain issue this weekend twice on the rx100, and on both occasions, the camera was not used for 6+ hrs straight, fully charged, in a soft pouch placed in my pocket right above the knee. By the time I come to use it, the lcd displays battery exhausted without any shot taken.

I did some thread discussion searching, and found most discussion ended up solved by the power saver feature. However, i dont think the power saver feature work 100% or else my experience would not have happened since it was set to one minute. I think for my case the camera was drained from accidentally pressed the display button in the soft pouch and somehow the power saver didnt kick in.

I did a few experiments to test how the power saver really work, and found:

• the power saver works and the camera only turns off after one minute of inactivity ONLY if it is let alone in a "steady" environment, means no movement to the camera.

-if the camera is rotated, tilted, wobbled during the one minute inactivity period, the timer reset.

-if the camera is subjected to motion as mentioned above, the display lcd will remain on as long as the motion continue inevitably draining the battery.

I have just started experimenting on the same problem but with the lens out in shooting mode. Havent got enough tries into it yet, but so far it behaves the same way as display mode.

So for my case, i was walking with rx100 in my loose pocket the whole day, and must have turned on display by accident. Since i was constant moving for the whole time, the wobble environment kept the camera on till the battery exhausted.

Anyone else with the battery drain issue? Can anyone try it out for yourself? Because im wondering if its the same behavior on all rx100/cameras of other brand of the similar feature. Hope u share ur finding with me here too. Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post.

Ps: perhaps a hard pouch would solve the issue, but i still wish sony add a display buttonf disable feature is in the next FW.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
guyv Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: RX100 battery drain culprit

This pouch is the smallest that has good front and back protection I haven't had the screen come on by itself:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=42240988

kshark wrote:

I ran into the battery drain issue this weekend twice on the rx100, and on both occasions, the camera was not used for 6+ hrs straight, fully charged, in a soft pouch placed in my pocket right above the knee. By the time I come to use it, the lcd displays battery exhausted without any shot taken.

I did some thread discussion searching, and found most discussion ended up solved by the power saver feature. However, i dont think the power saver feature work 100% or else my experience would not have happened since it was set to one minute. I think for my case the camera was drained from accidentally pressed the display button in the soft pouch and somehow the power saver didnt kick in.

• the power saver works and the camera only turns off after one minute of inactivity ONLY if it is let alone in a "steady" environment, means no movement to the camera.

-if the camera is rotated, tilted, wobbled during the one minute inactivity period, the timer reset.

-if the camera is subjected to motion as mentioned above, the display lcd will remain on as long as the motion continue inevitably draining the battery.

I have just started experimenting on the same problem but with the lens out in shooting mode. Havent got enough tries into it yet, but so far it behaves the same way as display mode.

So for my case, i was walking with rx100 in my loose pocket the whole day, and must have turned on display by accident. Since i was constant moving for the whole time, the wobble environment kept the camera on till the battery exhausted.

Anyone else with the battery drain issue? Can anyone try it out for yourself? Because im wondering if its the same behavior on all rx100/cameras of other brand of the similar feature. Hope u share ur finding with me here too. Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post.

Ps: perhaps a hard pouch would solve the issue, but i still wish sony add a display buttonf disable feature is in the next FW.

normsmith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372

Thanks for posting your findings - very interesting and helpful.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

The Skipper Contributing Member • Posts: 872

Another horizontal pouch that has rigid front and back protection is the Lowepro Santiago 20. I was able to compare the 2 side-by-side in a store, and they are about the same size. The Olympus has magnetic flap, the Santiago zipper.

I knew that by stretching the Olympus flap, the camera will fit, and I prefer a magnetic flap, but I was concerned that when I am hiking, the flap will come lose and the camera fall out, so I settled for the Santiago. Despite my concerns about it scratching the finish, it hasn't happened yet.

guyv wrote:

This pouch is the smallest that has good front and back protection I haven't had the screen come on by itself:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=42240988

kshark wrote:

OP kshark New Member • Posts: 16

Nice recommendation guys. I have done some research and decided to get the olympus case to try out. Found on ebay for $15 after shipping, just ordered and see when it'd show up. I hope the magnet cover would not get weak over time.

guyv Contributing Member • Posts: 847

Actually the magnet cover sticks better after some time, as the case becomes more flexible.

My 3 year old Olympus case closes very strong with the RX100 in it, making it the perfect case. It does not show age apart from being more supple.

My two newer Olympus cases are still too stiff. If I didn't have the old one to use with the RX100, I would tumble one of the new ones in the dryer at minimal or no heat to break it in.

kshark wrote:

Nice recommendation guys. I have done some research and decided to get the olympus case to try out. Found on ebay for $15 after shipping, just ordered and see when it'd show up. I hope the magnet cover would not get weak over time.

Ya i saw in the images in the link you provided, the case is a quite tight with the rx100. Thanks for the ends up, i will stuff something slightly bigger inside to make it more flexible. If that wouldnt do it, the dryer should work.

guyv wrote:

Actually the magnet cover sticks better after some time, as the case becomes more flexible.

My 3 year old Olympus case closes very strong with the RX100 in it, making it the perfect case. It does not show age apart from being more supple.

My two newer Olympus cases are still too stiff. If I didn't have the old one to use with the RX100, I would tumble one of the new ones in the dryer at minimal or no heat to break it in.

kshark wrote:

scotbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

Interesting, I had this happen to me and couldn't figure out why, I definitely didn't see any battery warnings when putting the camera away. I guess it must have gone into play mode in my bag where it doesn't have a case.
--
http://www.scottwylie.co.uk

scotbot's gear list:scotbot's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,458
Is it at all related to the accidental drop setting?

I have not experienced this battery drain, but I'm wondering if it's related to that accidental drop setting, given that you say it's motion activated. I set my drop setting to off, as I didn't see any reason for it.

Just a thought. Sorry to hear about your power issues.

kshark wrote:

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +6 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,933
Re: Is it at all related to the accidental drop setting?

first, for pocket use, a dust free pouch is recommended by many to prevent pocket lint and dust from eventually working it's way inside the camera and possibly on the sensor via the edges of the lens barrel extensions. unlike DSLR, must go to factory for pricey and time consuming repair, so.....

second, a padded pocket case will minimize bangs to the lens, and, that will also provide a layer behind the playback button to prevent it being activated.

there is a rx100 case thread, many choices are there.

I got this, used it for my 4 day beach trip, it did the job in my pocket and beach bag, easily in and out to stay away from the sand quite easily.

It is a tapered sunglass case from Dick's sporting goods, $8. fits camera, second battery, second card, lens cloth easily. everything is inside in second picture. tapered shape fits pockets very comfortably.

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
keven v Regular Member • Posts: 297

With the Drop protection turned on, their is no difference in power saving mode, the camera turns off after the set time.

With the lens extended, the camera shuts off after whatever time you choose. It doesn't matter if the camera is turning over or dangling or jiggling along. I just tried it. So long as you don't touch a button, it will shut off.

With the lens retracted (camera turned off), I selected view mode and set the camera down. After 1 minute, the display turned off.

Next I again selected view mode and kept the camera in my hand, swing it and turning it over. It did NOT turn off after one minute. Or two minutes. I set it back on the table and sure enough after one minute the camera shut off.

Sounds like our findings agree. For my shooting mode, im not too sure if i touched any buttons, i would try swing it withe the strap next time.

And about the drop protection feature, how does the drop protection protects the camera when dropped? Just turn off camera on impact? Not sure how it work so i duno how to test it on the battery drain issue.

So now, i kept the camera in my trouser pocket without anything else inside, and so far no draining. Im 90% certain accidentally activating the play mode was the battery drain cause.

Keven wrote:

With the Drop protection turned on, their is no difference in power saving mode, the camera turns off after the set time.

With the lens extended, the camera shuts off after whatever time you choose. It doesn't matter if the camera is turning over or dangling or jiggling along. I just tried it. So long as you don't touch a button, it will shut off.

With the lens retracted (camera turned off), I selected view mode and set the camera down. After 1 minute, the display turned off.

Next I again selected view mode and kept the camera in my hand, swing it and turning it over. It did NOT turn off after one minute. Or two minutes. I set it back on the table and sure enough after one minute the camera shut off.

keven v Regular Member • Posts: 297

kshark wrote:

Sounds like our findings agree. For my shooting mode, im not too sure if i touched any buttons, i would try swing it withe the strap next time.

And about the drop protection feature, how does the drop protection protects the camera when dropped? Just turn off camera on impact? Not sure how it work so i duno how to test it on the battery drain issue.

So now, i kept the camera in my trouser pocket without anything else inside, and so far no draining. Im 90% certain accidentally activating the play mode was the battery drain cause.

The drop sensor retracts the lens when it senses a fall. Just hold the camera in your hand and quickly move it downwards. That's how I tested mine.

oakcliffboy New Member • Posts: 3

I had the battery drain problem also. I shot about 30 pictures and carried it around all day. I put it down and the next morning it would not even turn on. I recharged it and it is working fine. I am working on the assumption that when it times out and shuts down, it is still on when shaken in any way. I had it in a hard case, so I don't know how it could have turned on without the lens extending and causing damage(maybe it just turns on without extending the lens). Very confused, but will try different things and will see if I can figure out what the deal is.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,734
Yep. Get a hard case

Had a couple of times when I took the RX100 out of my messenger bag that I use for a briefcase, and it was dead, dead, dead. I figured it was accidentally getting turned on in my briefcase. Got a small hard case for it (an almost perfect snug fit, with a carabiner on the outside also). No problems since.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,022

kshark wrote:

Something isn't right as my RX100 will go to sleep after a minute or 2 of not using it even if I am carrying it and moving it about. This is actually a bit annoying and I wish my camera behaved the way yours does. Is there a way to turn that feature on? Only taking photos or using any of the cameras features keeps it on.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

tbcass wrote:

kshark wrote:

Something isn't right as my RX100 will go to sleep after a minute or 2 of not using it even if I am carrying it and moving it about. This is actually a bit annoying and I wish my camera behaved the way yours does. Is there a way to turn that feature on? Only taking photos or using any of the cameras features keeps it on.

Until I get mine later this week I can't be too specific but according to the User Manual there IS a "Power Save START time" that you can set or change in the Menu...

Alas it does not seem to give such as "Never" as an option..it is shown as 1/2/5 or 30 minutes.. so whichever it is set at.. such as say "2 minutes"...after that period...if you have touched NOTHING..the camera will shut down. But if you set it at say 30 minutes..surely that should keep it on for enough time for you..if you DO NOTHING for some reason over or up to the 30 minutes..I think you'll find that a mere light touch on such as the shutter button would be enough to keep it on...so in a practical way..if this is what you want, it should be able to have it always on for most uses...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926

Had it last night with me docked pouch. I was sleeping, need a case the controls are on top.

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

Joel Stern wrote:

Had it last night with me docked pouch. I was sleeping, need a case the controls are on top.

Joel -

I've found what looks a good one in UK but this not available in US...BEST I can find for you is this... (link below) .. check the dimensions yourself but looks good...

dpR site figures but you can check..
4.02 x 2.32 x 1.42 inches

Case as below ...as stated on site..
4.15 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches... (this shown as INNER dimensions )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Case-for-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-SZ1-Digital-Camera-Color-Black-/150863932956?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item232030ee1c

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Walt Bilofsky
Walt Bilofsky Contributing Member • Posts: 594
RX100 Turning On Accidentally - Poor Design

kshark wrote:

Accidental power-on is a widespread complaint with the RX100, due to three poor design choices.

First, the Playback button is higher than the adjacent case, so it can be pressed by pushing against any firm smooth surface. It should have been recessed, like the On/Off button.

Second, pushing it a second time extends the lens, compounding the problem of having it turn on accidentally in a pocket or case. The second push should return to the state prior to the first push, which in this situation would turn the camera off again.

Third, the feature of having the motion sensor keep the camera on should have a timeout limit if no button is pressed.

Numbers 2 and 3 could be fixed in firmware. Not holding my breath though. Poor user interface choices mar this otherwise incredible camera.

Walt Bilofsky's gear list:Walt Bilofsky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads