Monopod HDR shooting

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
Kidraver
Kidraver Regular Member • Posts: 219
Monopod HDR shooting

I have been enjoying going out with just a monopod and the D800 with a 14-24, to me the lens seems suited to HDR stuff, anyway i did some in low light and the slow shutter speed created fuzzy images, but some others are quite ok, if anyone here has any tips about what software is best i would like to know, i am trialling HDR pro and photomatrix as well as cs5 which i think gives more natural looking images, natural is not necessarily my aim though, more after dreamy type stuff.

-- hide signature --

We learn to do the things we dont know how to do by doing them, Socrates

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,981
Re: Monopod HDR shooting

Well I think you are achieving the dreamy part pretty well, as both of these have a soft water color look. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://www.poperotzy.smugmug.com

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Kidraver
OP Kidraver Regular Member • Posts: 219

Thanks Dave.
--

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,723

I can't speak to the software much - I've just been using Photomatix for a few weeks now. But I like your results a lot. My only critique might be that I prefer a level horizon - when the lens distorts those horizontal lines even just a bit I get distracted - probably something wrong with me psychologically but there you go. It's an easy fix in PS to display the grid and straighten those lines out...if you're into straight lines.
--
Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +2 more
Kidraver

Thanks for that Void, personal preference is not an indication of mental instability bro, its like belly buttons, they are all different shapes etc. Like you i have only been at this HDR caper for a few weeks now, actually the last time i was seriously involved in image production was with my MF darkroom in the 80's, was heavily into the zone system, i straightened the horizon on this new version, i did notice it before, but felt that the converging lines of the sky, sea and the wall had a neat ratio and that the bench might look wierd, but the bench actually looks better, not sloping forwards anymore, i have posted something that is really bent as well, the thing is for me that i am trying to create big prints that folk will pay good money for and hang on their wall, so literal representation is not the main issue, rather something with a strong pictorial composition, their was a famous aussie painter, Brett Whitely, overdosed on heroin a few years back, anyway he did stuff of the harbour with a fish-eye lens type approach, his stuff sells for millions, the bent one is a little like his stuff, so i will wait and see what sort of response i get, never tried to sell photo's before so it is all new to me, i live in bondi which is where all the shots are taken, in the last 20 years the price of houses has gone up incredibly, now there are lots of reallly wealthy folk here, with about 10 galleries selling prints etc, so the market is ripe, the bent shot is a pano, handheld with a 12-24 that was not horizontal,having just checked out the two shots of the bench i thing the original has more flowing lines and more empathy between the curves,cheer's.

-- hide signature --

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,723

Your approach sounds good to me...don't make yours like everybody else's if you want to sell! I rather like your second one, and I'd guess it'll be the bigger hit for a large wall hanging in Bondi. It's just more compelling and makes me want to study the image a lot longer than the straight one. So thanks for explaining!
--
Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +2 more
Mike Walters Senior Member • Posts: 1,638

I do like that second one.

I have tried the photoshop HDR and Photomatix and find the latest version of photomatix very good (4.2.3). Letys you create very natural looking images (see my Blea Tarn one) and some nice other wordly like images and to really tailor them to your preference.

Cheers

mike

Kidraver

Thanks Mike, have you tried niksoft hdr pro? has control points where you can adjust exp,sat,cont,structure and a few others, helps create great highlights really fast, you can place the highlights strategically, helps with attaining pictorial images, imo, i only got the D800 a few weeks ago, just learned how to do the hdr thing, lucky i live in an area with lots of strong landscape settings,cheers, added another shot with obvious planetary curvature on it, lol.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads