Dissasembling / repairing XZ-1

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
zeekoe New Member • Posts: 19
Dissasembling / repairing XZ-1

Has anyone tried dissassemblin / opening up the XZ-1? My battery cover has broken and I ordered and received a new one.

However, opening up the camera isn't as easy as removing the screws and pulling a bit here and there. Somewhere around the flash hot shoe / accessory port something is blocking me from removing the back cover. I could not find repair manuals for this camera nor for PEN's (which I thought might have similar construction). Is there anyone who can help me?

zeekoe's gear list:zeekoe's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
Re: Dissasembling / repairing XZ-1

Opening digital camera tends to be a very tough task given the high voltage used by the flash unit and dust that could get on the sensor. You mentioned you ordered the battery door. Did the person who took your order have any information about how to replace it?

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 IrfanView Corel Aftershot Pro +1 more
Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,543

I don't have the XZ-1 but I remember that in some Olympus DLRs there are a couple of small screws inside the hot shoe. You need to slide the black plate that is inside the hot shoe backwards (use a small flat screwdriver) and have a look inside.

OP zeekoe New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (battery cover / door)

@joe6pack: I've opened dozens of devices with high voltages, so that's no problem. But thanks for the warning.
@Simon: yeah, that's the bit of help I needed! Thanks a lot!

For the case others need to do the same: I needed to lift the front part of a black metal sheet in the flash hot shoe up, then push the sheet to the back and there were six more screws! Disassembled, replaced battery cover, reassembled, and it still works!

Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,543

zeekoe wrote:

For the case others need to do the same: I needed to lift the front part of a black metal sheet in the flash hot shoe up, then push the sheet to the back and there were six more screws! Disassembled, replaced battery cover, reassembled, and it still works!

Six screws in the hot shoe? LOL, this must be a record!

Good to know you did it.

Actually it's 4 screws for the hot shoe, and 2 a little more to the back, left and right of the accessory port to attach it (that is, the metal part around the hot shoe and AP) to the back plate.
I took pics with my housemate's E-30, so I might make a photo guide too.

nickoly Veteran Member • Posts: 6,965

I guess a repair manual is a bit of a tall order but you may find that Olympus do publish a spare parts manual and this will probably suffice. The parts manual for my 5060 is fine. Needless to say, those parts you woul;d only get as an assembly are only shown as such. This wouldn't be the case with a battery cover.

zeekoe wrote:

I could not find repair manuals for this camera nor for PEN's (which I thought might have similar construction). Is there anyone who can help me?

Instructions for disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (e.g. battery cover / door or OLED)

So, here are the instructions for disassembling the Olympus XZ-1, e.g. to replace the battery door (like I did), or the OLED-display (to help other people search this item: this is mostly, incorrectly, called LCD).

Looking at pictures of other cameras, the flash shoe coverage system might be the same for Olympus PEN and even for Panasonic Lumix cameras.

DISCLAIMER: this information shows how i did things. If you destroy your camera, it's your own fault, I cannot take liability.

I ordered the battery door by sending an e-mail to http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/

Instructions:

The easy part is removing the visible screws. The harder part is, unless you know how to, to remove the flash cover sheet.

When the sheet was still on the flash hot shoe (not pictured), I used a ball point, put it into the hole (B, second picture), and made the movement A, first picture below. That is: move up, slide backwards.

This reveals 4 screws on top of the hot shoe:

But it also reveals 2 screws on the back (C) that need to be removed before the back of the camera can be removed. The D thingy is the hot shoe contacts-part that's now dangling freely around:

This last picture shows the battery door with the pin pushed out. I used swiss army scissors to hold the pin and push it to the top:

Replacing the battery door was then as easy as 1-2-3: the spring is not loaded when the door is open, so no need for four hands.

joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
Re: Instructions for disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (e.g. battery cover / door or OLE

This is incredibly useful information. Thank you!

Did you test your camera for sensor dust after the procedure? Can the same procedure be used to clean the sensor?

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 IrfanView Corel Aftershot Pro +1 more
jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,231

This thread is truly impressive.

But also sad -- I guess we live at a time where the OP just doesn't have local camera repair shop to go to... weren't there a lot more of them years ago?

THANKS for the clear instructions and pictures!!! !!!
--
Jonathon Donahue -- http://jon404.com

You're welcome.

Actually, I was thinking of starting a hobbyist camera repair service on our local online market place. Could be a market for it, and I have built up quite some experience...

Re: Instructions for disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (e.g. battery cover / door or OLE

Thanks.

If you look closely at the third picture, you could see that the screws around the part that probably covers the sensor are covered with a bit of glue. My guess is that there's no way dust can get in from this part of the camera (through the lens is another story, I've heard...)

BTW, I would never ever open the sensor of a camera that's working and cost me more than 10 euros. Dust is everywhere, so the chance of getting more dust out than in is small - at least, that's what I think.

larndoc New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Instructions for disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (e.g. battery cover / door or OLED)

Thanks for this guide. My XZ-1 was showing dust on the sensor and as I am right now in Antarctica far off any service possibility I had to try and clean it myself.

I opened it as you described and once you get to the back of the sensor was working with a vacuum cleaner and air-duster. You can kind of feel the air ventilating through the retractable lens when doing this. Maybe I was just lucky, but this managed to flush the dust off the sensor.

I've also found this "guide" http://www.progtown.com/topic615451-disassembling-olympus-xz1.html - with many pictures of the inside of the XZ-1.

jgalilea New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Instructions for disassembling / repairing XZ-1 (e.g. battery cover / door or OLED)

Hi Zeekoe.

I've reach this old conversation because my XZ-1's screen is out of order due a domestic accident

The camera is totally out of guarantee, so I've decided to try to change the screen by my own. And althought your photos are enough to disassembly the rear cover, I'm not sure how the screen is attached to the main board. Do you remember if it's connected by a kind of "fast connector" or maybe I'll have to de-soldering any wires?

Thanks in advance and kind regards from Spain!

Javier Galilea // @CarGable

Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 14,688
Congratulations - Well done

zeekoe wrote:

@joe6pack: I've opened dozens of devices with high voltages, so that's no problem. But thanks for the warning.
@Simon: yeah, that's the bit of help I needed! Thanks a lot!

Off Topic - My SZ-30MR of almost the same vintage has an LED flash, which does not need a high voltage. This LED flash also no longer irritates the cat.

Henry

-- hide signature --

http://upload.pbase.com/image/138702566.jpg
Henry Falkner - SH-50, SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,157
Somewhat timely - as my XZ1 just jammed up.

Lens will not come come out on power-up and camera thinks the lens cap is holding it shut. I had seen this happen once before, but it recovered. Don't know what happened this time. It's a factory reconditioned unit, so the warranty was only 90 days.

I have taken apart cameras and have even been successful in cleaning one where the power switch got full of lint, and replaced a broken LCD on another. However, the XZ1 is less than a year old to me, and I like it too much to potentially destroy it. In the USA, Olympus has a flat rate of $118 USD for repair. I cannot buy another camera this good for that. I sent it for repair.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
pgleg New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Somewhat timely - as my XZ1 just jammed up.

Hi, my xz-1 is currently suffering the same issue - lens does not extend on startup. It comes out a few milllimetres and stops, goes back, tries again and gives up. Did you manage to fix yours? Any tips?

EDIT: Re-reading I see you sent it for repair, nevermind. I did find a local company who offered to attempt a repair for £72. I'm trying to decide whether to repair or see if I can get something new vaguely comparable for the same price.

Regards, Phil

quelebu New Member • Posts: 12

I recently cleaned the sensor on my XZ-1 which had a large piece of dust on it. I used the disassembly instructions above then proceeded as per the post on my blog http://inglis-sharp.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/cleaning-sensor-on-olympus-xz-1.html. Not for the faint hearted or fat-handed but worked perfectly for me. Took 20 minutes and cost nothing, rather than the cost of the camera which is what Olympus wanted to clean it.

tomryan New Member • Posts: 3

When you say remove screws that are visible - Looking at the camera from the back I see one screw on the upper left side, on the bottom, one on the left and one in the middle, one on the right side lower and one on the right side upper.  Am I missing anything?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads