Sweep panorama fz200

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
Jákup Regular Member • Posts: 129
Sweep panorama fz200

On the ephotozine handson, it says that the fz200 has sweep panorama, can anyone confirm if this is true, or if it's just the 'old' panorama mode?
--
My galleries - http://www.flickr.com/jakupfr

Jákup's gear list:Jákup's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,728
Re: Sweep panorama fz200

No more Panorama Assist - the FZ200 incorporates a true sweep panorama. According to the manual, "The zoom position is fixed to Wide.", so anything else will likely require stitching it together yourself. The generated pano is limited to a maximum of 8000 pixels wide or high - depending on panning direction.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
OP Jákup Regular Member • Posts: 129

Great news, thank you for the fast answer.
--
My galleries - http://www.flickr.com/jakupfr

Jákup's gear list:Jákup's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,020

In addition to being fixed on 'wide', sweep panorama - at least on the other Panny cameras with it, is a low resolution thing, and tends to have exposure "issues" resulting in vertical bands in the sky.

Sweep panorama is pretty worthless.

Fortunately, panoramas are pretty easy to make by stitching.

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Some old-fashioned thoughts about sweep panoramas
  • New way vs. old way : I just read over the manual pages on Panorama Shot mode. With all the restrictions on its use, I can't see much, if any, interest in using it -- when it's so easy to take multiple shots at full resolution in any quality you like, then stitch them together with something as simple and "cheap" as Microsoft ICE.

• Pixels & detail : Plus, one reason many people like shooting panoramas is that it allows capture and use of lots of pixels => lots of detail. Whereas Pano Shot mode in the camera is limited to less than 9mp for horizontal panos and around 11 for vertical panos -- both less than a single 4:3 frame. Compare the "old" way: with three shots in either directions and 1/3 overlap between frames, you get around 28 mp.

• Use of panoramas : I should talk! I rarely shoot a panorama -- only when I'm bored or maybe have had an extra glass of wine. And I can say for sure that I've never printed and mounted and hung one -- never. Of course, that's just my experience. But if you want the shot only for e-mailing to friends (and enemies?), the very easiest way is to set the zoom to as wide as you can, back up (if necessarily and possible), take one shot, and crop.

But streaming panoramas seem to be all the rage. What am I misssing?
--
http://www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V
morepix
Yep, Erik Ohlson already said it ...

... much more simply, while I was typing away. Sneaky guy!
--

Erik Ohlson
Re: Yep, Erik Ohlson already said it ...

morepix wrote:

... much more simply, while I was typing away. Sneaky guy!
--

Hee, hee.

Actually, you made some interesting points.

For instance, you wrote:

Pixels & detail: Plus, one reason many people like shooting panoramas is that it allows capture and use of lots of pixels => lots of detail. Whereas Pano Shot mode in the camera is limited to less than 9mp for horizontal panos and around 11 for vertical panos -- both less than a single 4:3 frame. Compare the "old" way: with three shots in either directions and 1/3 overlap between frames, you get around 28 mp.

I actually did that in this case:

I took 2 vertical shots and stitched them because I couldn't step back - this is on a floating 'island' made of reeds in Lake Titicaca & I'd have fallen in.

But, also, it got me a photo at something like 8-10 MP with a 5MP camera, much better detail, exactly the point you were making, thanks!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

morepix
FZ200: A case of multiple personality disorder?

Looking into the Panorama Shot mode, and browsing adjacent material in the manual, it seems to me that the FZ200 is trying to be the Swiss Army Knife of cameras. By that I mean that it offers not only a wide range of features for the photographer who just wants to take some good pictures, then adds lots of stuff that may be fun but at the cost of straight image quality. I refer to the 17 scene modes and the 14 "creative control" modes.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with that unless the firmware is size-limited, or the engineering effort is resource-limited -- in which case additional features that might further enhance IQ (can you think of any?!) may be getting short shrift to accommodate the fun stuff. (I can think of one: some technical hocus-pocus that would improve continuous autofocus in a camera that starts out as CDAF. Doesn't one camera out there in the market offer a hybrid CDAF/PDAF system? Would you go for that in the FZ?)

There are some amazing apps for doing strange things with photos taken with the iPhone. Would a "straight" FZ-whatever plus an iPhone be a better solution?

morepix (a.k.a. The Old Mossback)
--

morepix
Re: Yep, Erik Ohlson already said it ...

Nice shot, with mucho detail.

Good thing you didn't back up too much. There are pirhanas in Lake Titicaca, aren't there?
--

Nicholas Bell
Nicholas Bell Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Hope it's better than what I've seen in other models

Own a ZS15 and have seen other pano's from the ZS20 and they are both horrible. Smeared details, wavy horizons, etc. Real foul-smelling garbage from a landscape photography perspective.

Nick

kkardster
Re: FZ200: A case of multiple personality disorder?

morepix wrote:

I refer to the 17 scene modes and the 14 "creative control" modes.

The FZ150 had many more scene modes, but I suspect that the FZ200 may simplify things by "auto-detecting" some of them such as with the 3 SPORTS or 3 SCENERY modes provided with the FZ150 but only one of each with the FZ200.

The HANDHELD NITE SHOT scene mode (introduced with the FZ150) can improve image quality as it stacks multiple images, but it would be nice to see more effort in modes for improving IQ vs. creative filters that can just as easily be applied in PP.

David247
David247 Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Re: FZ200: A case of multiple personality disorder?

I see nothing wrong with a highly versatile camera. Have had my FZ150 for a while and love it, but only use about 1/3 of its features, but that is because I like to have more personal control, and shoot mostly RAW and post process. I don't mind though that the camera is capable of producing very good (above average) point and shoot images for people who don't want to be be bothered with post processing. That is fine for them. The ability for extensive manual control and image refinement is great for me. So they produce 1 camera that appeals to 2 distinct customer bases along with a variety of individuals between the extremes. Nothing wrong with that in my mind as long as they don't compromise my control.

Multiple personality disorder? I don't think so, just a camera that can adapt it self to many different photographers, or in other words, versatile. I can take my camera and put in a family members hands and they will still get a snapshot they will love without thinking about it or messing with controls.

Just my 2 cents worth. As far as IQ, well that is an incremental thing. We have come so far in the last 10 years (and most people don't realize it) yet as sensor and other technical capabilities improve they also scale up to the larger sensor cameras as well so I don't compare. Each year though, the companies seem to push the boundaries of all sensors a little further, but the lows of physics always apply and a larger sensor (with larger lens) will always produce better quality until such time as the differences can no longer be visually detected. The FZ150 was already king of the hill of small sensor 1/2.33 super zooms and the FZ200 may succeed in maintaining that crown, we just don't know yet. Larger sensors, if implemented properly will still do better, much larger sensors will do much better.

After all, there are no rules that say you have to use everything the camera has the capability to do. Use what fits you and ignore the rest. The end is always the image, not the features of the camera. The question is always what IQ you can settle for in your images and at what price, size and weight point.

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,667

I'm with Erik on this one.

My ZS20 (TZ30) has it, and it's got issues

Good for a memory lane shot, perhaps.That's it.
OK...it Might print sharp at postage stamp size

Better to have the panorama assist feature, instead, then stitch later.

ANAYV

David247
David247 Senior Member • Posts: 2,406

Erik Ohlson wrote:

In addition to being fixed on 'wide', sweep panorama - at least on the other Panny cameras with it, is a low resolution thing, and tends to have exposure "issues" resulting in vertical bands in the sky.

Sweep panorama is pretty worthless.

Fortunately, panoramas are pretty easy to make by stitching.

I'll agree with Eric. I've tried several different camera sweep panoramas and they all seem to have some issues, good for quick snaps but not for a serious wall pano.

The panasonic version seems to be a bit more limited then most. Not a big deal to me, as I prefer to shoot full rez at my focal length of choice and use Calico for my stitching. No limits that way and better quality then any sweep pano I've seen so far. Doesn't really take that much post processing time either.

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
kathleenmadeline New Member • Posts: 2

I tried some panoramas with my new FZ200 and my iPhone 6 Plus on a recent trip.  The iPhone won hands down.  The vertical banding is what brought me to this forum to see if I was doing something wrong.

Kathy in TX www.instagram.com/kathleenmadeline

PeterPenguin New Member • Posts: 23

I agree that the Apple iPhoto panorama mode is awesome - and works much better than my fz200 panorama mode. It's all to do with the software stitching the sweep photos together. On my fz200 you see LOTS of banding, where the exposure is off or something. But in the new updated IOS software on my iPad I can sweep a wide photo with almost no stitching or banding and then process it all in about 20 seconds.

I know photo purists won't give much credit to it, but for me it sure works great... and it's lots of fun to see it all right away.

Erik Ohlson

Quite good - not as detailed as a "Real", stitched Panorama but certainly lacking the banding and inconsistent levels of so many "sweeps".

Nice for a quick "I was there shot" at least  

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

PeterPenguin New Member • Posts: 23

Thanks... I find that most of the photography I really like shooting depends being there at the moment.  And since it's so much easier to carry an iPhone or iPod than it is a hulking DSLR - one no longer has to ask 'should I bring the camera along?' since it's already there.

kkardster

Does the iPhone allow for more MP than the rather limited Panasonic implementation?

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,982

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Sweep panorama is pretty worthless....

Agree as to the FZ200 sweep pano, below is one of the few better FZ200 sweep panos:

FZ200 sweep pano

Overall the FZ1K sweep panos are much better than the FZ200, but still a much lower resolution than doing a stitched pano:

FZ1K sweep pano

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads