E:62:10 Error code on RX100

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
philmont606 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: E:62:10 Error code on RX100

I also own a Sony DSC_ HX400V digital camera. I purchased in in 2014 and around September last year the dreaded sony error code E:62:10 appeared out of the blue. It has wrecked the stabilisation of the camera. As the camera is out of warranty and Sony outsource their repairs in Australia I phoned the repairer who quoted me around $168 just to send the camera to them and the stabilisation repair would take the cost of repair  up to the price of a new camera!  So of course I did not go ahead with the repair.

On doing research I was shocked to discover that this error is common in Sony cameras and  it is beyond me to understand why Sony has not taken steps to rectify the problem with their cameras.

The camera will still operate but stabilisation when zooming is impossible unless the SCN is set to sports for a fast shutter speed. Looking through the view finder on zoom is enough to make you motion sick.

I really liked this camera and for 4 years it did everything I wanted,  so I am extremely annoyed and disappointed and will not buy another Sony.

philmont606's gear list:philmont606's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V

From my research and from talking to the repairer this error is quite common unfortunately.

Further to my original post I have since found out that the cost for repair is around the same price as a new camera, so I will not be having it repaired. Neither will I purchase another Sony camera.

I have also discovered that this error is now quite common unfortunately.

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,522
shlam fixed his error code

shlam wrote:

After searching on the Internet, found out this error code had been seen in previous Sony CyberShot cameras. Seems to be something related to stabilization circuit.

The reported fix was to remove battery and card, and gently slap the sides of the camera. This fixes the problem on the RX100 for me. Photos seem fine. Will report if I see any further problems. Kinda wished I had purchased the extended warranty...

Good news! (as an owner of an RX100-2 I appreciate knowing your problem is solved.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,796
Re: shlam fixed his error code

D Lynch wrote:

shlam wrote:

After searching on the Internet, found out this error code had been seen in previous Sony CyberShot cameras. Seems to be something related to stabilization circuit.

The reported fix was to remove battery and card, and gently slap the sides of the camera. This fixes the problem on the RX100 for me. Photos seem fine. Will report if I see any further problems. Kinda wished I had purchased the extended warranty...

Good news! (as an owner of an RX100-2 I appreciate knowing your problem is solved.

No slapping or removal of the card is necessary. The lens does not have to be at full zoom. Just popping the battery out, while it's turned-on and re-inserting it, is all that's needed. But the next time it's turned-off, this must be repeated. I've just been ignoring the flashing error code. The camera is slow to turn on, but I can detect no other malfunction. I have the Sony HX400V and it was 4 years and two weeks old, before the error code appeared.

-- hide signature --
KeithLa New Member • Posts: 4
Re: shlam fixed his error code

Stephen McDonald wrote:

No slapping or removal of the card is necessary. The lens does not have to be at full zoom. Just popping the battery out, while it's turned-on and re-inserting it, is all that's needed. But the next time it's turned-off, this must be repeated. I've just been ignoring the flashing error code. The camera is slow to turn on, but I can detect no other malfunction. I have the Sony HX400V and it was 4 years and two weeks old, before the error code appeared.

Stephen, thank you for this post, this technique just worked for me, on my 4 year old HX400V. I just noticed this 62:10 and stabilization problem for the first time ten minutes ago, and came across this (very long) thread. Glad I zipped to the end instead of reading it all the way through!

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 37,203

philmont606 wrote:

I also own a Sony DSC_ HX400V digital camera. I purchased in in 2014 and around September last year the dreaded sony error code E:62:10 appeared out of the blue. It has wrecked the stabilisation of the camera. As the camera is out of warranty and Sony outsource their repairs in Australia I phoned the repairer who quoted me around $168 just to send the camera to them and the stabilisation repair would take the cost of repair up to the price of a new camera! So of course I did not go ahead with the repair.

On doing research I was shocked to discover that this error is common in Sony cameras and it is beyond me to understand why Sony has not taken steps to rectify the problem with their cameras.

The camera will still operate but stabilisation when zooming is impossible unless the SCN is set to sports for a fast shutter speed. Looking through the view finder on zoom is enough to make you motion sick.

I really liked this camera and for 4 years it did everything I wanted, so I am extremely annoyed and disappointed and will not buy another Sony.

well try this

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61310191

Didn't you read the posts?

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
R Olivier
R Olivier New Member • Posts: 8

Hello,
I have the same problem too and I have been in discussions for several months with the technical support of Sony without results.
I found over a hundred forums like this one where users are desperate to find a solution.
I'm so upset that I created a micro-website and a YouTube channel to document all this!
I also documented the workaround that was circulating on the Internet but seems to have disappeared...
Maybe it can help

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 39,682

R Olivier wrote:

Hello,
I have the same problem too and I have been in discussions for several months with the technical support of Sony without results.
I found over a hundred forums like this one where users are desperate to find a solution.
I'm so upset that I created a micro-website and a YouTube channel to document all this!
I also documented the workaround that was circulating on the Internet but seems to have disappeared...
Maybe it can help

Over a hundred forums? Exaggerate much? My RX100 is well over 6 years old and has taken thousands of photos. I've never had a problem. This thread is over 6 years old and yet few are reporting the problem. It must be pretty rare.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
R Olivier

This is why I have documented them, if you do not believe it, just go check on http://sony-e-62-10.tk/ : the table listed is already 104 rows long and each link contains lots of posts like here... where users do nothing than complain. In most of the cases it appears with the HX series but there are also several RX. Anyway this is way too high to represent an isolated case, IMHO this is not a normal situation.

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 37,203

R Olivier wrote:

Hello,
Maybe it can help

Did you try what steve said?

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
tbcass

R Olivier wrote:

This is why I have documented them, if you do not believe it, just go check on http://sony-e-62-10.tk/ : the table listed is already 104 rows long and each link contains lots of posts like here... where users do nothing than complain. In most of the cases it appears with the HX series but there are also several RX. Anyway this is way too high to represent an isolated case, IMHO this is not a normal situation.

Let's assume that there are 1000 people complaining in those forums (probably a lot less). It covers many camera models over many years. If we use a conservative number of 100,000 cameras sold (probably more than that) then those 1,000 people are only 1% which makes the problem rare by any reasonable standard. Any camera model can have problems. Even Nikon had a problem with some of their high end DSLRs where oil was getting on the sensor. The overall failure rate for digital cameras is about 5-6% with cheaper models being less reliable. Sorry I'm not buying your idea that the problem is a common one and I think you are being overly obsessed and have wasted a lot of your time on this.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
R Olivier

tbcass wrote:

R Olivier wrote:

Let's assume that there are 1000 people complaining in those forums (probably a lot less). It covers many camera models over many years. If we use a conservative number of 100,000 cameras sold (probably more than that) then those 1,000 people are only 1% which makes the problem rare by any reasonable standard. Any camera model can have problems. Even Nikon had a problem with some of their high end DSLRs where oil was getting on the sensor. The overall failure rate for digital cameras is about 5-6% with cheaper models being less reliable. Sorry I'm not buying your idea that the problem is a common one and I think you are being overly obsessed and have wasted a lot of your time on this.

Dear,

Sorry but reasoning in terms of mathematical statistics is not so easy : indeed most people that buy and use a camera are not so IT-minded and only a small proportion of them will actually complain on forums (in different languages also). Marketing studies based on actual measures show that as low as 4% of unhappy customers do actually complain (see for instance https://www.trackur.com/96-of-unhappy-customers-wont-complain-to-you-but-will-tell-15-friends-infographic )

Consequences with cameras are also much more damageable for the owners than for many other consumer goods, indeed most people use those devices like me to keep a track of their beloved ones in unique circumstances that are impossible to replace e.g. in costly and unique vacation trips

Anyway, my purpose was not to start arguing, but rather to help people stuck in the same commercial nightmare than I am, and also to give a working solution to the numerous people having the same problem and feeling as isolated as I was.
Most recommendations circulating now on the Internet advise to slap or tap the camera, which I wouldn't recommend.

I also wanted to give a warning to people before they actually spend their money for new devices that may break shortly after the expiration of the warranty, which was not the case with the dozen of other camera's I have had (including some older models of Sony) I personally would have loved knowing it beforehands, people should take that into account when buying a new device vs the price.

R Olivier

Bill Borne wrote:

R Olivier wrote:

Hello,
Maybe it can help

Did you try what steve said?

Yes, thank you for your answer.

This is the same procedure that I previously found on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg0WurpXNKo but it then disappeared so I made the video again to help other people at https://youtu.be/S53D3EfDVk0.
After that the stabilizer seems to work again, which raises a lot of questions.

Most other solutions shown on Internet advise to slap or tap the camera, which I wouldn't recommend.

tbcass

I only cited my estimates to point out that your internet research is not in any way proof that it is a common problem, only that the problem exists in some cameras..

-- hide signature --

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads