E:62:10 Error code on RX100

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions
rsbhati New Member • Posts: 1
Re: E:62:10 Error code on RX100. HX400 Has Same Error Code

i have approx 2year old Sony wx60 camera. in recent few days i got the same problem e:62:10 error code blink on screen and some time camera screen will sown black then focus on object. i am very disappointed about Sony camera which have only to year life. next time when i purchase a camera i will remember that.

hmtrip83 New Member • Posts: 7

EXACTLY what mine is doing now. I hope you see this and can tell me what the outcome was with your camera!!

hmtrip83's gear list:hmtrip83's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900
plutopup
plutopup Junior Member • Posts: 40

hmtrip83 wrote:

EXACTLY what mine is doing now. I hope you see this and can tell me what the outcome was with your camera!!

Outcome? Sold the camera on Ebay for $200.00, total waste, Sony Australia wouldn't/couldn't help as they said they needed proof camera was bought from an approved, licensed reseller and DWI, from whom I bought the camera, would not provide such proof. Quote to get it fixed with parts was AUD300+ which I was not happy to pay for so decided to sell and got hold of a Nikon P610 to use as a replacement - prefer Sony bridge cameras but doubt I will ever get one again after this sobering experience.

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,981
Re: This might work.

shlam wrote:

After about couple weeks of use, my RX100 developed a permanent E:62:10 message flashing in the middle of the display. The camera would still take photos, but the error code is annoying and slows down the display response.

The RX100 has been handled carefully and stored in a case, so don't know what caused it. Resetting the camera and removing battery did not cure the problem. Has anyone seen this problem?

Have a read of this thread. The lens mechanism on the RX100 is very different and the error mesage has a slightly different number as compared to the RX1 that this fix applies to. Read the whole thread before deciding whether to try it or not. I have an RX100 but have never seen this mesage on that camera so I can't say that it works. But it sure works on the RX1.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57490507

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
Craig54 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: E:62:10 Error code on RX100

I have a sony HDR-PJ650V that started displaying the E:62:10 error code.  I also noticed that the image stabilization on the camera was no longer working.  I tried resetting the camera with no luck and then read several posts that suggested slapping the side of the camera.  I thought this was a ridiculous suggestion, but out of frustration I gave it a shot.  I turned off the camera and rapped it twice against the palm of my open hand.  I turned the camera back on a SHAZAAM!  it worked.  The error code disappeared and the image stabilization resumed its functionality.  I generally shy away from beating on my equipment, but in this case it worked for me.  Thank you to all who posted that suggestion, you probably saved me a couple hundred bucks.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 39,684

If that hadn't worked maybe a hammer would.  😄

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,981

tbcass wrote:

If that hadn't worked maybe a hammer would. 😄

I know it sounds unlikely but there is a real issue with some cameras that can be solved along these lines, but short of a hammer.

Try the following discussion. And there are better safer ways to achieve the same result without hitting the camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57490507

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II
philmont606 New Member • Posts: 5

I also have a Sony HX400V which I purchased in 2014 and it suddenly without warning  shows the error code E:62:10

On reading other peoples complaints here this would appear to be a common problem with Sony cameras.

This is a real pity as my camera has been fantastic up until now.

Does anyone know the cost of repairs for this error as my camera would also be out of warranty?

philmont606's gear list:philmont606's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
tbcass

philmont606 wrote:

I also have a Sony HX400V which I purchased in 2014 and it suddenly without warning shows the error code E:62:10

On reading other peoples complaints here this would appear to be a common problem with Sony cameras.

While it can happen it is far from common. In fact seeing how few people have reported this error in the 5 1/2 years since the beginning of this thread should tell you how rare this error is.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
plutopup

tbcass wrote:

philmont606 wrote:

I also have a Sony HX400V which I purchased in 2014 and it suddenly without warning shows the error code E:62:10

While it can happen it is far from common. In fact seeing how few people have reported this error in the 5 1/2 years since the beginning of this thread should tell you how rare this error is.

I daresay the reason for "how few people have reported this error" is because the vast majority of users don't know about DPReview, wouldn't have a clue how to report it here nor where to report it on the internet. At best they probably went back to the place they bought the camera from.

tbcass

plutopup wrote:

I daresay the reason for "how few people have reported this error" is because the vast majority of users don't know about DPReview, wouldn't have a clue how to report it here nor where to report it on the internet. At best they probably went back to the place they bought the camera from.

Your reasoning is flawed. To begin with people are far more likely to complain about an problem than declare they have none. People on DPR is a good representative sample so if you count the number of people who own Sony cameras and post in the forums and compare that number with the number of people who say they have had the error you can then get a good idea of the percentage of people who have this error. Based on that I'd say the percentage is very small and the error is rare.

Example; If, hypothetically, 1,000,000 Sony cameras have been sold in the last 5 years and 1000 people have had the error that is only 1/10 of 1% which makes it rare. While 1000 might seem like a lot based on the total number sold it is not.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,796

tbcass wrote:

plutopup wrote:

Your reasoning is flawed. To begin with people are far more likely to complain about an problem than declare they have none. People on DPR is a good representative sample so if you count the number of people who own Sony cameras and post in the forums and compare that number with the number of people who say they have had the error you can then get a good idea of the percentage of people who have this error. Based on that I'd say the percentage is very small and the error is rare.

Example; If, hypothetically, 1,000,000 Sony cameras have been sold in the last 5 years and 1000 people have had the error that is only 1/10 of 1% which makes it rare. While 1000 might seem like a lot based on the total number sold it is not.

Over the past 29 years, I've used 12 different Sony cameras and camcorders and given 10-day tryouts to 3 others. I've never had any error codes on the screens. I've had only one major breakdown in any of them, which was caused by using the wrong kind of wet cleaning cassette, that the dealer sold me.

The "Sudden shutter death" issue with the three H5 cameras I had briefly, is the only other problem I've had with any of them, except for a couple of tape drives that lost their tracking alignment, after 3 and 5 years of hard, almost daily use (probably fixable by a repair shop, but they were outdated, so I didn't bother).

My current HX400V has been serving hard duty for almost four years now, with no glitches. No one has produced another model in that time, that comes even close to matching its performance, for both photos and videos. But I'm still hoping for one with its capabilities, that shoots 4K video.

-- hide signature --
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Stephen McDonald wrote:

My current HX400V has been serving hard duty for almost four years now, with no glitches. No one has produced another model in that time, that comes even close to matching its performance, for both photos and videos. But I'm still hoping for one with its capabilities, that shoots 4K video.

Wow.

plutopup

Over the past 29 years, I've used 12 different Sony cameras and camcorders and given 10-day tryouts to 3 others. I've never had any error codes on the screens. I've had only one major breakdown in any of them, which was caused by using the wrong kind of wet cleaning cassette, that the dealer sold me.

The "Sudden shutter death" issue with the three H5 cameras I had briefly, is the only other problem I've had with any of them, except for a couple of tape drives that lost their tracking alignment, after 3 and 5 years of hard, almost daily use (probably fixable by a repair shop, but they were outdated, so I didn't bother).

No doubt Steve you have been very lucky. Like you I have used Sony cameras extensively over the past 15 years - SX50, F717, HX1, A330, HX100, a77, a77ii, HX400, A6000, A6300, HX350 There was national recall on the F717 12+ years ago to fix a problem. Two years ago I had a 15 month old HX400v develop the E:62:10 error code which Sony did not/would not help me with this and then last year had a major issue with an a6000 which was about 20 months old and which Sony did repair - was a board/shutter button issue.

tbcass

plutopup wrote:

No doubt Steve you have been very lucky. Like you I have used Sony cameras extensively over the past 15 years - SX50, F717, HX1, A330, HX100, a77, a77ii, HX400, A6000, A6300, HX350 There was national recall on the F717 12+ years ago to fix a problem. Two years ago I had a 15 month old HX400v develop the E:62:10 error code which Sony did not/would not help me with this and then last year had a major issue with an a6000 which was about 20 months old and which Sony did repair - was a board/shutter button issue.

Rather than Steve being lucky I would suggest you have been unlucky with your Sony gear. The average failure rate of digital cameras is 5-6%. Sony has one of the better reliability records. Your failure rate of 27% (if you include the F717 recall) is way above average

-- hide signature --

Tom

plutopup

And I do look after my gear.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

plutopup wrote:

tbcass wrote:

philmont606 wrote:

These cameras are probably built with an expectation of 5% failure and then fix in warranty or just tough. I would suggest that people buy a Leica which is probably built to more exacting standard but the price will spiral exponentially as you hone in on 0% failure.

If people are buying consumer products and cannot stand the heat keep out of the kitchen. Trying to ascertain reliability from the crazy world of the internet is a real fool's mission.

There is a current panic about the Canon G3X about lens failures and if it fails I will just get it fixed. People do seem to think cameras are a zero maintenance product which given their increasing complexity is a bit daft. Of course if my cheap but splendid HX90V fails outside of warranty I just chuck it away and buy a new one without bleating on the internet as though the world has come to an end.

tbcass

plutopup wrote:

And I do look after my gear.

Who said you didn't?

-- hide signature --

Tom

NCsonyCamera New Member • Posts: 1

There is a fix on YouTube. It works for my Hx400v. Camera on and max zoom. Takes out the battery. Tapping the lens gently all sides. Put in the battery. Error message disappeared. Good luck.

tbcass

NCsonyCamera wrote:

There is a fix on YouTube. It works for my Hx400v. Camera on and max zoom. Takes out the battery. Tapping the lens gently all sides. Put in the battery. Error message disappeared. Good luck.

You replied to the wrong person. I have no problems.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads