Transferring photos from NEX 5N buffer

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions
danfm New Member • Posts: 2
Transferring photos from NEX 5N buffer

Went on an outdoor trip recently that I was looking forward for for quite a time. Not until I had arrived there, I have realized that I left my SD card in my card reader at home. Can't describe properly the level of my devastation at that point.

When I recovered from the shock, it crossed my mind that a floor model of a NEX 5N camera in a Blacks store that I was playing with before purchasing my NEX 5N also did not have the the memory card. When I mentioned that to a salesman he went to get a card, he put it in and then he said "...good thing about NEX 5N is that automatically transfers images made without the card from the internal memory to a card once the card is inserted".

So, hoping this would happen to me (meaning the auto transfer), and not knowing the real size of the buffer/internal memory, I limited shooting to about a dozen photos. They are quite good and really valuable to me.

When I got home, sure enough my SD card was in the reader, I had put it in the NEX and - nothing happened, no images got transferred. Not sure if I was missing any step that the Blacks sales guy did.

How can I get those images from the buffer/internal memory to a card (or PC)?
Thanks

danfm's gear list:danfm's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
data2000 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: Transferring photos from NEX 5N buffer

You dont the Nex is not a storage device more or less you have made a mistake it what you heard

data2000's gear list:data2000's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

It seems like it can take a couple, but I was not able to see them either. Get a cheap card, and leave it your bag with an extra battery just for that occasion.
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
OP danfm New Member • Posts: 2

data2000 wrote:

You dont the Nex is not a storage device more or less you have made a mistake it what you heard

Thanks.

There was no mistake in what I heard from him. He was praising that feature very clearly leaving no room for interpretations.

If it is true what you are saying (and I am afraid you are right) than he had no clue what he was talking about.

danfm's gear list:danfm's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
soupnazi81 Regular Member • Posts: 171

The salesman has no idea what he's talking about. If there's no SD card in the NEX, no images are saved at all in the present/past/future.

soupnazi81's gear list:soupnazi81's gear list
Sony a6000
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,266

I just tested without my card in and I could review the photo I took, so something is getting saved somewhere. Maybe it's just a smaller preview for the LCD only?

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
nagi603 Regular Member • Posts: 341

The last picture taken gets saved in the buffer, (full res, you can enlarge it as well) so that on show floors, the display models don't have to be loaded with easily pocketable cards and there is no chance of shooting / seeing something you should not. The buffer gets cleared on shutdown.

I'd say quite standard feature, but back to the original quiestion: no way. You'll have to get a memory card.

nagi603's gear list:nagi603's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads