Moving back to Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions
Nicolas Sancey Regular Member • Posts: 371
Moving back to Nikon

Good day everyone. I have a question for those who have moved from a Pentax k5 to a d7000. Please tell me if you are happy you made the switch and what are the features you are missing from the k5, and the ones on the d7000 that make you smile.

-- hide signature --

. I am selling my k5 because I need the better autofocus and flash system, better reliability, better resale value, less expensive lenses... I will miss the size, the ergonomics, the ability to map dead pixels if any.... So what is it for you? Any remorses?
Nicolas

Nicolas Sancey's gear list:Nicolas Sancey's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Canon Pixma Pro-100
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,199
Re: Moving back to Nikon

Just do it. Without remorses. Well, you might have some remorses later on but that's life, ya know?

aroundomaha
aroundomaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
My odd Nikon missed feature

Nikon has a feature I'm not sure how many others might but, but which I missed a lot - auto ISO in Manual mode.

There are times when I like to set the shutter speed and aperture and let the camera adjust the exposure using auto-ISO. My Panasonics could not do it.

Nicolas Sancey wrote:

Good day everyone. I have a question for those who have moved from a Pentax k5 to a d7000. Please tell me if you are happy you made the switch and what are the features you are missing from the k5, and the ones on the d7000 that make you smile.

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
OP Nicolas Sancey Regular Member • Posts: 371
Re: My odd Nikon missed feature

One other feature that I will miss is the ability top set the aperture and the shutter speed and let the camera adjust the ISO speed.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Canon Pixma Pro-100
aroundomaha
aroundomaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
Re: My odd Nikon missed feature

Actually all my Nikons do this wonderfully. I missed it when shooting with my Olympus and Panasonic cameras.

Nicolas Sancey wrote:

One other feature that I will miss is the ability top set the aperture and the shutter speed and let the camera adjust the ISO speed.

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: Moving back to Nikon

i miss the ergonomics and the limited lenses. k5 beats the d7000 bloody on ergonomics. i dont really find the AF on the d7000 to be that superior. Much more sophisticated for sure, but overall i got similar results with the k5. nikon flash kick the crap out of pentax though.

Sener
Sener Regular Member • Posts: 306
Me too.

Hiya, I am also a K-5 user and considering to switch to a D7000. I started a thread in the Pentaxforums board about this. You can check that topic too for opinions.

I got the K-5 after D90. The reason for switching to Pentax was I found a very good deal that included the K-5, the FA* 85 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4. But now after 5 months of Pentax era things are not so happy.

I basicly listed the reasons that I like the K-5, and the reasons that justify the switch to the D7k. Here they are;

Reasons for K-5;

• Lowlight success (not sure how the D7k compares here)

• Quiet shutter

• IQ and RAW headroom

• SR (quite so much useful for me since I have a hard time under 1/50)

• The fact that I sometimes am very into using those full manual and m42 lenses and that even old Nikkors cost nearly as much as their AF equivalents

• Whole lotta options, of which nearly 65% I don't use (but nice having them)

• Nice jpeg output so I can use straight output jpegs where I can trust my exposure or when I don't have the time for RAW-processing

• D7k feels boxy and rectangular, compared to my old, curvy, woman-like D90 and the angled and muscular K-5

• I just feel it is still too early to give up the k-5 (I've been using it for 5 months)

• Being a Pentaxian feels better and out of the ordinary

Reasons for D7k;

• Possibly better AF and AF tracking options

• That you can see selected AF points and WB in the upper LCD so you can turn the color LCD off

• Better, faster interface roaming, responsive buttons and wheels (while making on-the-fly settings like ISO or Aperture and the k-5 may ignore your button-pushes and wheel-turns. For example, when I am at f/2.0 in Nikon, I know when I quickly turn the front dial 6 clicks, I am in f/4.0. But in Pentax you always have to check if it has "felt" all the 6 clicks and got to f/4.0)

• Equivalent IQ to the k-5 so I won't lose any when leave the K-5

• Quieter focusing lenses compared to my current kit (24 2.8D, and 85 1.8D, and yes, Nikon's non-motor lenses are quieter compared to Pentax motor, or Nikon body screw motors are quiter than that of Pentax K-5)

• The fact that I will actually get lighter with the above-told lenses kit (FA* 85: 550gr, Sigma 30mm: 407 gr; -----whereas nikkor 85 1.8D: 380gr, 24 2.8D: 268gr)

• My lenses expand the size of the tiny k-5 as a kit, so smallness is not a factor with me in Pentax

• Being a Nikonian feels more convenient

A little long for a first post, sorry. I have been around for some time, just didn't feel like writing before.

Sener's gear list:Sener's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Sony a6500 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,546
Re: Me too.

Sener wrote:

Hiya, I am also a K-5 user and considering to switch to a D7000. I started a thread in the Pentaxforums board about this. You can check that topic too for opinions.

I got the K-5 after D90. The reason for switching to Pentax was I found a very good deal that included the K-5, the FA* 85 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4. But now after 5 months of Pentax era things are not so happy.

I basicly listed the reasons that I like the K-5, and the reasons that justify the switch to the D7k. Here they are;

Reasons for K-5;

• Lowlight success (not sure how the D7k compares here)

• Quiet shutter

• IQ and RAW headroom

• SR (quite so much useful for me since I have a hard time under 1/50)

• The fact that I sometimes am very into using those full manual and m42 lenses and that even old Nikkors cost nearly as much as their AF equivalents

• Whole lotta options, of which nearly 65% I don't use (but nice having them)

• Nice jpeg output so I can use straight output jpegs where I can trust my exposure or when I don't have the time for RAW-processing

• D7k feels boxy and rectangular, compared to my old, curvy, woman-like D90 and the angled and muscular K-5

• I just feel it is still too early to give up the k-5 (I've been using it for 5 months)

• Being a Pentaxian feels better and out of the ordinary

When I decided to switch from the Sony a700 to something else, I briefly considered Pentax as an alternative DSLR camera system, but after getting screwed by Konica Minolta I was leery of buying into a small and financially troubled camera manufacturer again. Even though Pentax has been sold to the more financially secure Ricoh since then, it still has a very small presence in the US market and it is doubtful they ever will be a major player again.

To me, the ergonomics and image quality between Pentax K5 and Nikon D7000 are a wash. Here are some of the reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5:

• D7000 has more focus points (39 to K5 11 points), and more configurable, accurate and faster Auto-Focus system, especially for moving subjects.

• Much better flash control system compared to Pentax.

• Preferred Nikon implementation of Auto-ISO over Pentax way.

• Two assignable (JPEG or RAW), SD memory card slots compared to one for K5.

• Local availability of new and rental lenses, cameras and flashes.

• Much better value and resale value in lenses than Pentax.

• More modern lens choices with Nikon.

• 5 year warranty on Nikon lenses. One year on Pentax.

• Better image stabilization for long (> 200mm), focal lengths with Nikon VR lenses than with Pentax non-stabilized lenses and SR.

• Spot metering follows focus point.

I was also concerned that the K5 was a "one hit wonder" for Pentax. What would the next Pentax DSLR be like? I tested out the Pentax K7 and was very disappointed in the image quality, flash system, and AF. DPreview should get a spanking for having rated the K7 it so highly!

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more

Thank you for your feedback! I agree... I made up my mind to switch when my Pentax Flash was sent for repair, and came back the same after 4 weeks. I never had any overexposure issues with my Nikon D90 and the SB-600. I cannot believe how bad the flash system is with Pentax, and Flash is a very important to me.
--
Nicolas

Spot metering follows focus point... Yes I found out too late this is not a feature on the K5... So glad I am out and back to a reliable system that will not disappoint me
Nicolas

szal Regular Member • Posts: 131

Sener wrote:

• Better, faster interface roaming, responsive buttons and wheels (while making on-the-fly settings like ISO or Aperture and the k-5 may ignore your button-pushes and wheel-turns. For example, when I am at f/2.0 in Nikon, I know when I quickly turn the front dial 6 clicks, I am in f/4.0. But in Pentax you always have to check if it has "felt" all the 6 clicks and got to f/4.0)

That can happen with your Nikon too. My D50’s control wheel sometimes misses doing a change at the turning of the wheel, so I often find myself checking on the shoulder display whether it has actually made the change.

jonikon wrote:

I was also concerned that the K5 was a "one hit wonder" for Pentax. What would the next Pentax DSLR be like? I tested out the Pentax K7 and was very disappointed in the image quality, flash system, and AF. DPreview should get a spanking for having rated the K7 it so highly!

Erm… the Pentax K-7 is the predecessor to the K-5. Just saying.
--
Pics, or it didn’t happen!

szal's gear list:szal's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Nikon D50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads