Which memory card for the 5N?

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
akaRon Junior Member • Posts: 35
Which memory card for the 5N?

I had a 1G, but the lock tab broke, so I need a new card. It was a base SanDisk. I want a quality card this time. So what size should I get? The 1G was barely cutting it, but how large should I go? Also, what speed (I don't know if that's the proper term)?
Lastly, is eBay OK for this purchase?

ec1k Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Which memory card for the 5N?

Get a branded SD or MS card of the capacity of your choosing. Memory is cheap these days. If you're going with SD, get a Class 10 at minimum. I prefer sandisk and samsung cards, with kingston, panasonic and lexar as also good choices. Do not buy from e-bay there are a lot of fakes and it's not worth the risk.

Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

Buy from amazon a(ny) cheap class10 card .
If you have enough money you can make Sandisk richer than rich ...

Bruce Bowman Contributing Member • Posts: 572

akaRon wrote:

I had a 1G, but the lock tab broke, so I need a new card. It was a base SanDisk. I want a quality card this time. So what size should I get? The 1G was barely cutting it, but how large should I go? Also, what speed (I don't know if that's the proper term)?
Lastly, is eBay OK for this purchase?

• Size depends on your needs. If you shoot video, you need a larger card than if you shoot stills only. I carry a couple 8 GB cards and never (intentionally!) shoot video.

• For speed, start with your manual. I states the recommended Class. IIRC, I would say Class 10 at least. However, I bought UHS-1 (SanDisk Extreme or Extreme Pro). Supposedly NEX doesn't support UHS-1 which means the card doesn't operate as fast as it's rated when installed in the camera. However, at least 2 folks here reported faster buffer unload times with the UHS-1, so that's the way I went in order to get as much speed as I can even if it's under spec.

• eBay? That's always the question, isn't it? If you're comfy with the seller it should be fine (I've bought a lot of stuff from eBay sellers over the years). That said, I more often buy from Amazon or one of the big name on-line camera stores. All of them can have a hiccup from time to time. Both Amazon & eBay give you recourse. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
Maxence Forum Member • Posts: 85

I have a SONY Memory Stick Pro HG Duo 8Go and it is pretty seamless. I have not tried to compare to another kind of card I can have in a drawer here, but I read a comment from someone having done a comparison and the Sony branded card gave best results.

Maxence's gear list:Maxence's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 +13 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

That's my advice well. For jpeg use 8 gig. If you use raw + jpeg go 32 gig. Class 10
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

I like SD cards, rather than Sony. My laptop has a built in reader, my iPad has an SD adapter. Hard to find built in or adapters for Sony sticks.
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Enir4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,456

I use 16GB Transcend UHS-1 cards. Excellent, as fast as Sandisk and half the price. Always bought them from Amazon.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR

Maxence wrote:

Sony branded card gave best results.

What are "best results"? Are photos sharper? More colors? Fewer CAs?

Maxence Forum Member • Posts: 85

Well I guess it's a matter of milliseconds, or at worst tenths of a second to write a JPG+a RAW. And can't even confirm it's the advantage of the Memory Stick..
I will do a comparison with some SD I have when I return from a few days off.

But I clearly don't recommend the Sony over the SD. I would say it just does the job..

Maxence's gear list:Maxence's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 +13 more

Today's (cheap) SDHC and SDXC cards are so fast - no problem with JPG+RAW.
They are faster than camera interface. Noooo, it must not be a Sandisk card ...

But everyone - not believing - can use exex (expensive and exotic) memorysticks

For fastest SONY videos - 1080/60p - even class4 is fast enough, hehe, but class10 cards are cheaper.

1080/60p = 28Mbps = 3.5 MBps = class4.

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

Knallberto wrote:

Today's (cheap) SDHC and SDXC cards are so fast - no problem with JPG+RAW.
They are faster than camera interface. Noooo, it must not be a Sandisk ...

True. And that's the reason that the fastest Sony cards are at least as fast (faster in my experience) than the fastest SD on a NEX - the MS card is handled more efficiently than the SD with fewer, wider data transfers even though the SD card would be faster on a fully compliant system.

If the NEX supported UHS-1 card speeds then the comparison result would look very different, but it doesn't.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
OP akaRon Junior Member • Posts: 35

How's this one look? $20 "on sale" 16GB, class 10. I assume 10 is better (faster) than 4, yes?Thanks everyone!

Darn it, link dosen't work.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+Ultra+16GB+Secure+Digital+High+Capacity+ (SDHC)+UHS-I+Class+10+Memory+Card/4957245.p?id=1218582257536&skuId=4957245&st=sd%20card&cp=1&lp=3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads