New Firmware - WTF

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 3,637
New Firmware - WTF

Just loaded up the new firmware for the V1 and set it to program mode expecting to see the great improvement in how it sets shutter speed to reduce blur from moving subjects or camera shake.

Camera set to A3200 iso. First shot with long end of the 30-110 lens. Exposure selected by the camera was 1/15sec, F8, ISO800 !

How is that meant to be an improvement? Why not 1/125 sec, F5.6, ISO3200 or even 1/60sec, f5.6, ISO1600?

Very, very underwhelmed by this firmware update. It has failed to make a significant improvement for those items it tries to fix and has completely missed a whole raft of possible other fixes.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Canon PowerShot A3200 IS Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sharpdart Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: New Firmware - WTF

Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about getting a J1 and was hesitant after hearing so much about the shutter speed issue. I was at B&H yesterday and found it hard to get an interior photo on the long end without some blur. Too bad - it really has potential, but Nikon really disappoints when it comes to following through with this series.

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,930

I would assume the J2 will respond the same then.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Jared Huntr Senior Member • Posts: 2,027

did you shift P mode by accident from it's original shutter speed? (by hitting the rocker switch)

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 5,741

Photo Pete wrote:

Just loaded up the new firmware for the V1 and set it to program mode expecting to see the great improvement in how it sets shutter speed to reduce blur from moving subjects or camera shake.

Camera set to A3200 iso. First shot with long end of the 30-110 lens. Exposure selected by the camera was 1/15sec, F8, ISO800 !

You must have bumped the toggle causing it to go to F8 as default would have been the largest aperture, f5.6 and I know this because I tried it.

How is that meant to be an improvement? Why not 1/125 sec, F5.6, ISO3200 or even 1/60sec, f5.6, ISO1600?

Well, if the exposure was right at 1/15, f8, it aint gonna be right at 1/125 f5.6. That's one stop brighter aperture and three stops faster shutter speed. Maybe you mean 1/30 f5.6? Anyway, in auto ISO, the camera is always going to favor the shutter speed before ISO which is why I wish there were an A1600 choice; sometimes 3200 is just too noisy.

Very, very underwhelmed by this firmware update. It has failed to make a significant improvement for those items it tries to fix and has completely missed a whole raft of possible other fixes.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +17 more
OP Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 3,637

Paul Pasco wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

Well, if the exposure was right at 1/15, f8, it aint gonna be right at 1/125 f5.6. That's one stop brighter aperture and three stops faster shutter speed. Maybe you mean 1/30 f5.6? Anyway, in auto ISO, the camera is always going to favor the shutter speed before ISO which is why I wish there were an A1600 choice; sometimes 3200 is just too noisy.

I was suggesting it should have raised the iso too. My figures are correct I hope.

Pretty sure I didn't nudge the toggle switch, but even if I had f5.6 at 1/30 sec is still too slow for the long end of the 30-110 or for even slow subject movement.

What's the point of setting A3200 if the camera only uses iso 800 whilst risking blurred images?

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 5,741

Photo Pete wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Photo Pete wrote:

I was suggesting it should have raised the iso too. My figures are correct I hope.

Sorry, I missed that the photo was taken at ISO800, all I saw was that you had the camera on A3200. But when I tried a shot in my living room just now at A3200 on an overcast rainy day with window light only, the camera chose ISO3200 and f5.6 every time with shutter speeds varying between 1/8-1/30 depending on where I pointed the camera. You're sure you are in P mode and auto ISO? My camera is behaving as I would expect and I don't know what to tell you.

Pretty sure I didn't nudge the toggle switch, but even if I had f5.6 at 1/30 sec is still too slow for the long end of the 30-110 or for even slow subject movement.

What's the point of setting A3200 if the camera only uses iso 800 whilst risking blurred images?

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +17 more
Varta New Member • Posts: 24

I wonder why Nikon is not addressing the known problems with their recent firmware update.

Are they intentionally crippling the capabilities of the N1 in order not to suffer losses in their DSLR sales?

Do they believe the effort of firmware improvements won't pay off with improved sales?

Or do they/we have a communication problem in so far that those deciding about firmware improvements just don't know what's bothering us?

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Any change to single shot-to-shot cycle times

and mandatory image review behavior?

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads