Travel kit : don't forget your 16mm pancake lens

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions
mathOS Regular Member • Posts: 232
Travel kit : don't forget your 16mm pancake lens

Hi,

I'm back from a 15 days trip in the US.

My travel kit was NX10 + 16 + 30 + Canon FD 135 f2.8. I didn't anticipate it, but most of my shots were taken with the 16mm.

From my experience, the 30mm looks sharper (it is fantastic), but the 16mm is definitely good also. Note that I didn't experience any problem with field curvature.

Obviously, the 16mm is the one for wide angle shots (first picture). Using a stitching software (here, Microsoft ICE), you can even easily go ultra-wide (second picture).

But the real surprise was for me that I felt more comfortable with the 16 than with the 30 for Street Photography (third picture). The point is that since I didn't have a lot of time for the "move your feet" way of zooming, I preferred having a little more in the frame (I don't print in A2 size so I'm not afraid of cropping).

Thanks for reading my two cents worth experience. I wanted to give justice to the not always well-reviewed 16mm pancake lens

PS : Please excuse my approximative use of English.

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +5 more
Samsung NX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AndricD Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: Travel kit : don't forget your 16mm pancake lens

thanks for shots - 16mm is next on my list

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
paulhome Contributing Member • Posts: 841

nice shots. I'm very much of the same mind. the 30mm is great but the 16mm takes great shots.

paulhome's gear list:paulhome's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,484

Nice shots.

Very wide lenses are particularly useful for moving scenes, where stitching can be problematic as subjects may have moved a lot between shots. But there are few wide aperture very wide lenses - such as F2.0 18mm equivalent - for interior and low light shots.
Cyril

Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

the 16mm does come in handy. although the 30mm is definitely a must have lens, the 16mm is not that far especially for general use. the IQ is definitely there and very high resolution, thereby giving you enough room for cropping. I only use the 30mm now as a backup for the 16mm if I needed more resolving power and focal length for portraits and bigger and normal/tighter close-ups and also for close up landscapes.

since I do building architectures, it can be a challenge. although not a problem for landscapes. for architectures, I would pull out the 30mm.

yooperguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,865

I just got my 16mm last week, and am very happy with it. I also tend to carry just the 30mm and 16mm for size convenience with my NX100. The more I use the 16mm, the more I agree with your suggestion of using it more often than the 30mm.

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
Thomas Wieser Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Nice shots! The 16mm and the 30mm lens are a nice combo. I experienced the same, I use the 16mm more often in towns than the 30mm lens, however the 20mm lens I use even more.

Thomas

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

Thomas Wieser wrote:

Nice shots! The 16mm and the 30mm lens are a nice combo. I experienced the same, I use the 16mm more often in towns than the 30mm lens, however the 20mm lens I use even more.

Thomas

the 20mm would had been better, although there is something about the 20mm that made it fell short with the 2 other lenses. I do feel the 16mm renders IQ a lot better than the 20mm did, even at wide open. I think the ability of the 16mm to display a shallow dof and at the same time retaining a high level of iq or resolving power makes it stand out. it's not a perfect lens due to obvious distortion, but it does meet most of a photographer's needs. anyway, a perfect focal length for me would be a fast 23mm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads