"Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions
salamander1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,424
Re: A poppy plantation? It explains a lot...

Press Correspondent wrote:

It looks very nice, but honestly, I have no idea how to compare. Peter was referring to a "gloomy day" for smooth color transitions, not high contrast of direct sun. But again, I have no idea, but I do like the picture. What was the lens and aperture?

thank you.
the lens was 24-105 f/4.
the location was this delightful little urban carden.
white balance was set manually to "daylight" because this setting gives
me generally better grass and flower renditions.
the aperture was what the camera gave me in "P" mode - f4.0.
the iso was also what the camera gave me - iso 320.
the speed was 1/125.
i adjusted the exposure with -2/3 EV.
time was 7.37pm., and the light was gentle, soft and golden, almost unearthly.
went there today again for another series of shots but was underwhelmed
by the results. the light was very strong, very harsh at 4:30 pm.
i could not recreate yesterday's results. i may try again tomorrow at 7:30 pm.

salamander1 wrote:

Is 5D3 closer to 5D in colors than 5D2 was to 5D?

5DIII

Re: "Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

it's definitely creamy and the colors are excellent.

itsDing wrote:

A bit of 20D magic. The image has been cropped from more than full body to head only.

PHelton
PHelton Regular Member • Posts: 128

The colors of the 5DII are better than 5Dc I don't know who is telling them fish tales.
--

My gear: 5DmkII,7D,300mm2.8Lis,Zeiss 21 2.8 and 35 1.4 distagon,70-200 2.8Lis,,851.8,100 2.8L macro, 580ex flash,twin macro flash,G1x

PHelton's gear list:PHelton's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Causio Regular Member • Posts: 276

According to this:

the colors look more vibrant (and perhaps a bit less realistic) than Mark II, so in a way closer to 5D I as far as my experience goes. I'd be happy with that since with 5D1 I had to do less color tweaking than with II. Although, the red looks even more over-saturated than MkII and that's not a good sign.
Luc

-- hide signature --
 Causio's gear list:Causio's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 +16 more
Press Correspondent
OP Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
OK, how about this one from the wedding?

Two softboxes on 5D, 100mm L, Camera Defaults in ACR, no PP:

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +11 more
Shaun_Nyc
Shaun_Nyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,285
Re: OK, how about this one from the wedding?

You’re kidding right ? This looks like uncle bob photography at very best

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +13 more
Press Correspondent
Any evidence you can post?

As you seem the only one of such opinion.

PHelton wrote:

The colors of the 5DII are better than 5Dc I don't know who is telling them fish tales.

Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +11 more

this is a nice photo.
all elements are there:
perfect exposure, excellent focus, nice composition,
sympathetic girl with beautiful chin and parted lips,
caught in an emotional, reflective moment.

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

you can't expect american glamor in siberia, sir. what do you want?

Shaun_Nyc

salamander1 wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Oh please , this looks like an iphone shot. Two softboxes eh ? lol Lighting is flat & looks like on camera flash to me. I dont care if it was shot on the moon.

Nikon D50 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +13 more
Press Correspondent

salamander1 wrote:

this is a nice photo.
all elements are there:
perfect exposure, excellent focus, nice composition,
sympathetic girl with beautiful chin and parted lips,
caught in an emotional, reflective moment.

Thank you Sir, but we were talking colors and you wanted a 5D sample, so what about the camera colors in this case?

Press Correspondent

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

salamander1 wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Oh please , this looks like an iphone shot. Two softboxes eh ? lol Lighting is flat & looks like on camera flash to me. I dont care if it was shot on the moon.

I agree the lighting is a bit flat, as I was sitting right across the table from her and had no control over lighting between plates, forks, and knives there. (I was a guest at the wedding,, not the official photographer.) However, the difference between two soft boxes and a direct flash is quite obvious. The fact that you do not see it does not give much credit to your opinion.

Please note the topic of this thread - the difference in color rendering by the 5D variants, not glamor photography. Also note that this is not a studio portrait, but a casual shot of a wedding guest across the table, a girl "next door", not a professional model with a ton of cosmetics on her face to hide the lack of natural beauty.

With all this in mind, what was your point again? Please, I welcome all kind of criticism, as long as I get what people are saying.

gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,730

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

I looked in vain to find your "wedding" and "boat" photography online so that we can see how much better your work is.

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,589
Re: Any evidence you can post?

Did you see this post?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42226899

As you seem the only one of such opinion.

PHelton wrote:

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Shaun_Nyc

gdanmitchell wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

I looked in vain to find your "wedding" and "boat" photography online so that we can see how much better your work is.

You got me Dan !

G Dan Mitchell - SF Bay Area, California, USA
Blog & Gallery: http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/102554407414282880001/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gdanmitchellphotography
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdanmitchell/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gdanmitchell

Shaun_Nyc

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

salamander1 wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

I agree the lighting is a bit flat, as I was sitting right across the table from her and had no control over lighting between plates, forks, and knives there. (I was a guest at the wedding,, not the official photographer.) However, the difference between two soft boxes and a direct flash is quite obvious. The fact that you do not see it does not give much credit to your opinion.

So you as a guest/third shooter (friend) setup two soft boxes to shoot this image from of another guest (it seems) across a table ? Do you really expect me to beleive that ? What strobs were you using and what soft boxes ? What triggers etc ? Do you have some more images to share

Please note the topic of this thread - the difference in color rendering by the 5D variants, not glamor photography. Also note that this is not a studio portrait, but a casual shot of a wedding guest across the table, a girl "next door", not a professional model with a ton of cosmetics on her face to hide the lack of natural beauty.

With all this in mind, what was your point again? Please, I welcome all kind of criticism, as long as I get what people are saying.

Press Correspondent

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

So you as a guest/third shooter (friend) setup two soft boxes to shoot this image from of another guest (it seems) across a table ? Do you really expect me to beleive that ? What strobs were you using and what soft boxes ? What triggers etc ? Do you have some more images to share

Yes Sir, I have no reason to lie. I had little idea of the level of the wedding pros in Siberia, so I brought my gear just in case the main guy doesn't work out. He used 5D with 24-70 and 70-200/2.8, 580EX through a white umbrella, a video light, and a a gold reflector that did not work producing tears in the bride.The ETA for his photos is 4 months.

I used 5D with 24-105, 100L, 50/1.4. and 17-40, 600EX-RT with LumiQuest BigBounce on top and 580EX with Lumiquest SoftBox III to the left both on a StroboFrame bracket plus 430EX-II on a stand for the background. Native Canon optical sync. I also had two Bolt power packs, but did not use them, although they would help a lot at the fast paced official ceremony. Four 8-GB CF cards, 60 rechargeable AA batteries, etc., 22 lbs total in the LowePro MiniTrekker.

I took 2,000 shots total on the wedding day and night. My goal is to get a couple hundred out of them for the family album. I can post some more, but the problem is that there is no such thing as a model release in Siberia and all these guys know where I live

Shaun_Nyc

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

Yes Sir, I have no reason to lie. I had little idea of the level of the wedding pros in Siberia, so I brought my gear just in case the main guy doesn't work out. He used 5D with 24-70 and 70-200/2.8, 580EX through a white umbrella, a video light, and a a gold reflector that did not work producing tears in the bride.The ETA for his photos is 4 months.

I used 5D with 24-105, 100L, 50/1.4. and 17-40, 600EX-RT with LumiQuest BigBounce on top and 580EX with Lumiquest SoftBox III to the left both on a StroboFrame bracket plus 430EX-II on a stand for the background. Native Canon optical sync. I also had two Bolt power packs, but did not use them, although they would help a lot at the fast paced official ceremony. Four 8-GB CF cards, 60 rechargeable AA batteries, etc., 22 lbs total in the LowePro MiniTrekker.

I took 2,000 shots total on the wedding day and night. My goal is to get a couple hundred out of them for the family album. I can post some more, but the problem is that there is no such thing as a model release in Siberia and all these guys know where I live

I give you credit for going through the trouble but I think you could use some fast lens for available light shooting. As far as speedlight left etc I dont see any shadows or seperation of the two so I said it looks on camera. Get a pair of pocket wizards and start playing w those. IR is lame. Maybe look into a seconic if your serious about teaching yourself off camera. Maybe join a local strobist club. Good luck & be well

Shaun_Nyc

btw, I don’t think the colors are that different between all three models. The 5Dc showed a superior level of acuity because of that wonderful 12mg sensor and skimpy AA filter that I really haven’t seen in the other two even at 2x the pixel count.

Press Correspondent

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

I give you credit for going through the trouble but I think you could use some fast lens for available light shooting.

This shot was already at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 (maximum on 5D). I have tried, but there was no available light there to shoot with no flash and avoid a motion blur. Even the ceiling was completely black.

As far as speedlight left etc I dont see any shadows or seperation of the two so I said it looks on camera.

You can see the main shadow to the right of the chin and a fainter one to the bottom. The BigBounce eats three stops, but does not block the AF assist light, so I had to use it on top with the more efficient SoftBox III on the side (since it blocks the AF assist light).

Get a pair of pocket wizards and start playing w those.

I hope it was the only wedding I had to shoot but in any case my plan would be upgrading to the RT capable body and changing my 580EX to another 600EX-RT and/or a smaller RT strobe or two once it comes out.

IR is lame.

Yes, but indoors it worked well this time. What I missed though was a forth strobe to illuminate the background evenly from both sides.

Maybe look into a seconic if your serious about teaching yourself off camera. Maybe join a local strobist club. Good luck & be well

Thank you Sir, but I am not a pro and most of my flash photography is family events. However, a single strobe on camera does not give pleasing results, so I do need to learn the best lighting approach in these cases, not too intrusive yet with better than flat photos.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads