7D Firmware update and My Menu

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions
Art Guertin Regular Member • Posts: 160
7D Firmware update and My Menu

Prior to installing the new firmware I had the usual 6 items in My Menu. After installing the firmware I now have only 5 items and cannot add another. There is a blank item space.

When I go through the list to remove 1 item it shows the last item added as being added twice. When 1 of these 2 items is deleted - it deletes both, but still will only let me add 1 for a total of 5 (with last item being duplicated but only showing up in My Menu once.

I sent an email to Canon support and hopefully they will have a remedy.

Anyone else encounter this problem?
--

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Art Guertin's gear list:Art Guertin's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Canon Pixma Pro9500
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: 7D Firmware update and My Menu

Mine works, I can put in 6 items, and the 7th is for My Menu, then I can delete all 6 and add 6 others, seems to work fine on my 7D using the new firmware 2.0
--
WSSA # 165
http://www.johneasterly.com

photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Everything working fine after my update.

Have 6 items plus the my menu choice at the bottom for 7 total items. Same as before the update.

I formatted the CF card just prior to the update, and again, just after the update. Formatting seems to go faster now.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Cenk
Cenk Senior Member • Posts: 1,604

Take your battery out for 5 seconds and insert again... Try factory defaults etc...

Art Guertin wrote:

Prior to installing the new firmware I had the usual 6 items in My Menu. After installing the firmware I now have only 5 items and cannot add another. There is a blank item space.

When I go through the list to remove 1 item it shows the last item added as being added twice. When 1 of these 2 items is deleted - it deletes both, but still will only let me add 1 for a total of 5 (with last item being duplicated but only showing up in My Menu once.

I sent an email to Canon support and hopefully they will have a remedy.

Anyone else encounter this problem?
--

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Cenk's gear list:Cenk's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D700 Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 70D +25 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408

Art Guertin wrote:

Probably you had Date/Time setting in the menu (which no longer exists in the old form) - you need to clear the My Menu... After that everything should be fine

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
OP Art Guertin Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: 7D Firmware update and My Menu - Resolved

I deleted all the My Menu items, removed battery, waited, reentered My Menu choices and viola! It now functions correctly.
I sent Canon email with my remedy (in case someone else has the same problem).

Thanks all.
--

-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Art Guertin's gear list:Art Guertin's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Canon Pixma Pro9500
Tom McElvy Contributing Member • Posts: 875
No problems here - in without a hitch! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Tom McElvy
Virginia Beach VA USA

==================
http://pbase.com/imagesbytom
http://flickr.com/tommcelvy

asu chic New Member • Posts: 10

Art and Karl,

I had the same problem. Did not have date and time in my menu, but had the
exact same issue. Clear your menu and re-enter your items and you will have
your six items back.

asu chic

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Maybe I just never noticed it, but, this is the first firmware update that I remember that specifically states, that you should remove and replace the battery after the update.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268
Re: No problems here - in without a hitch! (NT)

No problem here either. In without any problems at all and seems to be working perfectly.

Tom McElvy wrote:

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 +35 more
SeaScout851 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342

Ran the update a few minutes ago. Everything seems to be fine.

Nice Job Canon!!!

Andy
--

David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Does the firmware upgrade equal a factory reset? I.e. will all my C1, C2 & C3 be reset?
--
http://davidnaylor.org/photography/
http://davidnaylor.org/blog/

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +3 more
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268

The upgrade left all my custom functions and lens MFA settings alone. No change.

David Naylor wrote:

Does the firmware upgrade equal a factory reset? I.e. will all my C1, C2 & C3 be reset?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 +35 more
Robert Sheldon Senior Member • Posts: 2,152

TTMartin wrote:

Maybe I just never noticed it, but, this is the first firmware update that I remember that specifically states, that you should remove and replace the battery after the update.

I have made many Canon firmware updates going back to the 10D and they ALL required you to remove and replace the battery.

PS. They are infrequent enough that I print out and read the instructions each time I do an update.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
http://www.bobsheldon.com

Old Sarge Regular Member • Posts: 194

Robert Sheldon wrote:

PS. They are infrequent enough that I print out and read the instructions each time I do an update.

I do the same thing. Been updating firmware for quite a few years but I still read the instructions....and even then I occasionally don't follow them well. At least once I put the FIR in the wrong directory.
--
The Old Sarge

jwhig Regular Member • Posts: 220

Art wrote:

-- hide signature --

"reentered My Menu choices and viola!"

But why would you want a viola in your menu, I wonder.
jwhig

jwhig's gear list:jwhig's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
wihakowi Regular Member • Posts: 242

jwhig wrote:

Art wrote:

-- hide signature --

"reentered My Menu choices and viola!"

jwhig

Do you mean as opposed to a piano or bass drum? I would say that each 7D should have the right to choose the musical instrument of their choice to have on the "My Menu" choices.
AND

Canon, with FW2 has improved the experience with changes to "Sound recording manual adjustment!" You can have your viola and hear it too!

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +8 more
KWEnz Regular Member • Posts: 313

wihakowi wrote:

jwhig wrote:

Art wrote:
--"reentered My Menu choices and viola!"

jwhig

Do you mean as opposed to a piano or bass drum? I would say that each 7D should have the right to choose the musical instrument of their choice to have on the "My Menu" choices.
AND

Canon, with FW2 has improved the experience with changes to "Sound recording manual adjustment!" You can have your viola and hear it too!

Good to see he's using a viola and not a walla as I've seen being used in other posts on dpreview. A sound choice of word instead of voilà you'll no doubt agree!
--
Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
wihakowi Regular Member • Posts: 242

KWEnz wrote:

wihakowi wrote:

jwhig wrote:

Art wrote:
--"reentered My Menu choices and viola!"

jwhig

AND

Good to see he's using a viola and not a walla as I've seen being used in other posts on dpreview. A sound choice of word instead of voilà you'll no doubt agree!
--
Ken

It's all music to my ears.

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +8 more
jwhig Regular Member • Posts: 220

But he might just be going with the flower!
--
jwhig

jwhig's gear list:jwhig's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads