Needs help on a T1i

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions
Simon21 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Needs help on a T1i

My daughter had a T1i (500D) for 18 months and has always been complaining about the color (or lack of it) of her pictures with it. She just visited us with her camera, I tried it and indeed portraits look rather washed out with it. She shoots only with the kit lens (18-55mm) and JPEGs only (do not ask why she uses a DSLR...) I tried RAW and the pictures look about the same. I used it with some of my lenses (50mm 1.4 and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II) with same results.
I am having problems to upload pictures so I cannot show examples at this time.

I do not know if it is something fixable with different settings or similar. Is this a common problem with this camera?

Thanks for your help,
Simon

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233
Re: Needs help on a T1i

Simon21 wrote:

My daughter had a T1i (500D) for 18 months and has always been complaining about the color (or lack of it) of her pictures with it. She just visited us with her camera, I tried it and indeed portraits look rather washed out with it. She shoots only with the kit lens (18-55mm) and JPEGs only (do not ask why she uses a DSLR...) I tried RAW and the pictures look about the same. I used it with some of my lenses (50mm 1.4 and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II) with same results.

I do not know if it is something fixable with different settings or similar. Is this a common problem with this camera?

Thanks for your help,
Simon

Very common complaint! Easy to correct.

Go into the Picture Style Menu and increase contrast and saturation.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more

Y0GI wrote:

Simon21 wrote:

Thanks for your help,
Simon

Very common complaint! Easy to correct.

Go into the Picture Style Menu and increase contrast and saturation.
--
Yogi

I almost forgot. While you are in the Picture Style settings, increase Sharpening to at least 5.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
OP Simon21 Junior Member • Posts: 36

Yogi,

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I just finished implementing them (I had to download the user's manual first...) but that was easy and I am sure you corrected an almost 2 years old problem for my daughter. I will try the camera tomorrow morning in daylight.

She takes zillions of pictures of her children, my grand children, so I am sure she will appreciate.
Thanks again,
Simon

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 23,594

How does she get her prints made?

In the old film days, different films gave different "looks" topictures, and typical amateur snapshot film hd a little exra punch.

Her printing lab, whether a drugstore, Costco, or her own printing machine, can be set to "improve" her pictures, or, if she does her own computer processing (using something like Photoshop Elements) she can be responsible for her own changes and the labmachine can be set to NOTmake automatic adjustments.

On a T1i, look for the Picture Style symbol box on the LCD screen, immediately right of the box that Shows M, Tv, Av, P and some others.

In the style ox, I almost always leave my camera set on S for standard, which approximates the standard consumer films of days gone by.

If she shoots landscapes, the landscape setting boosts greens and blues.

BAK

OP Simon21 Junior Member • Posts: 36

Thanks for this information, it is quite useful. She has her own printer and she uses it a lot.

She does have Photoshop, probably not the latest version but certainly OK for what she needs but she avoids using it as much as possible.
Thanks again,
Simon

Simon21 wrote:

Yogi,

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I just finished implementing them (I had to download the user's manual first...) but that was easy and I am sure you corrected an almost 2 years old problem for my daughter. I will try the camera tomorrow morning in daylight.

She takes zillions of pictures of her children, my grand children, so I am sure she will appreciate.
Thanks again,
Simon

You're very welcome, Simon!

Please post back and let us know how the photos come out after the changes to PS.
--
Yogi

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,816

Simon21 wrote:

My daughter had a T1i (500D) for 18 months and has always been complaining about the color (or lack of it) of her pictures with it. She just visited us with her camera, I tried it and indeed portraits look rather washed out with it. She shoots only with the kit lens (18-55mm) and JPEGs only (do not ask why she uses a DSLR...) I tried RAW and the pictures look about the same.

the key about raw is, if you just load them with dpp, it will use the same picture as default as the in camera setting for in camera jpg.

All compact camera images are a lot more processed than dSLR pictures to make them pop. So, just adjust styles in the camera to your liking. Also, an existing jpgs can be modified too to increase contrast, saturation, sharpness etc.

It's also possible that the current style in the camera was set to ,e.g, "neutral", which makes them even blander.

I used it with some of my lenses (50mm 1.4 and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II) with same results.

Thanks for your help,
Simon

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads