Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions
jupat New Member • Posts: 4
Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Hi: Originally we were asked to get a 60D with a 15-85 mm lens but I would like to invest in a 5D Mark ii and want to get a lens that is equivalent to what they are asking for. I know nothing about cameras or lenses (NOTHING) and have been told 'any lens in the short wide to short telephoto, such as a 24-70 or equivalent in the half APS frame will be perfect. The faster f/stop the better.' Basically I'm clueless and have no idea what 'half APS frame' is etc so would like some advice. I don't have the money for a super high end one unless it is used. Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,014
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

jupat wrote:

Hi: Originally we were asked to get a 60D with a 15-85 mm lens but I would like to invest in a 5D Mark ii and want to get a lens that is equivalent to what they are asking for. I know nothing about cameras or lenses (NOTHING) and have been told 'any lens in the short wide to short telephoto, such as a 24-70 or equivalent in the half APS frame will be perfect. The faster f/stop the better.' Basically I'm clueless and have no idea what 'half APS frame' is etc so would like some advice. I don't have the money for a super high end one unless it is used. Thanks

The question has to be - why do you want to get a 5D2 instead of the recommended body and lens, especially if you are "clueless"?

But whatever your reason, the answer is the 24-105L. The 15-85 is equivalent to 24-136, but you can't get quite that much zoom range in full frame, and in practice it's easily near enough.

kjbkix Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

EF 24-105 f/4L IS is your choice. It comes in a kit with the 5DII at a much-discounted price. See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583987-REG/Canon_2764B004_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

 kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
OP jupat New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Thanks for the reply. I hope not to be 'clueless' after a 2 year course and want to invest in the best camera I can at the moment so that I don't feel like I should upgrade later (this is on previous advice). I shall look at your recommendations.

kjbkix Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Just so you're fully aware, the 5DII is already 4+ years old and already has been upgraded to the 5DIII. It's certainly a better camera than the 60D but if you really get into photography after this course, you still may find the upgrade path tempting, especially related to auto-focus issues.

5DIII is about $1500 more for the kit than is the 5DII. Up to you whether its worth it.

jupat wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I hope not to be 'clueless' after a 2 year course and want to invest in the best camera I can at the moment so that I don't feel like I should upgrade later (this is on previous advice). I shall look at your recommendations.

 kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

If you were asked to get a 60D then you may want to reconsider that advice. Otherwise you may be the only one with a camera different than anyone else in the class.

Besides trying to buy something today so that you can avoid the desire to upgrade in the future rarely works in the real world....

John
--

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Steve Balcombe wrote:

jupat wrote:

Hi: Originally we were asked to get a 60D with a 15-85 mm lens but I would like to invest in a 5D Mark ii and want to get a lens that is equivalent to what they are asking for. I know nothing about cameras or lenses (NOTHING) and have been told 'any lens in the short wide to short telephoto, such as a 24-70 or equivalent in the half APS frame will be perfect. The faster f/stop the better.' Basically I'm clueless and have no idea what 'half APS frame' is etc so would like some advice. I don't have the money for a super high end one unless it is used. Thanks

The question has to be - why do you want to get a 5D2 instead of the recommended body and lens, especially if you are "clueless"?

But whatever your reason, the answer is the 24-105L. The 15-85 is equivalent to 24-136, but you can't get quite that much zoom range in full frame, and in practice it's easily near enough.

but there was also this "The faster f/stop the better",

so a 24-70 f2.8 would perhaps fit the bill (it's then similar to the 17-55 f2.8 for crop)

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

 photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
facedodge
facedodge Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

What kind of photography class tells everyone which camera to buy?

 facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
JohnMatrix Regular Member • Posts: 337
just what I was thinking

back in my day a second hand film SLR and a 50mm prime was all you needed. Now you need to spend +3000 USD on a camera + lens!

facedodge wrote:

What kind of photography class tells everyone which camera to buy?

OP jupat New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Of the three colleges I applied to, they all gave a list of 'recommended' equipment but I have spoken to a teacher about this particular camera and I will not be the orange amongst the apples. I am taking a course and not learning on my own because I want to learn in a structured atmosphere. I am fortunate enough to have had my kids, spent my life working and now I just want to focus without distractions of everyday life getting in the way (as I said I am fortunate enough to be in a position to do this).

Thanks to those who are giving me advice on the actual question, if I had wanted grief I would have spoken to my ex-husband.

I thought it was a simple enough question!

michi098 Contributing Member • Posts: 555
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Well, as others have mentioned, the 5DII equivalent lens to the 60D with 15-85 would the be the 24-105. It's quite a good lens and not horribly expensive. As a matter of fact, there are some good sales on it lately.

Someone mentioned that the 5DIII has already been released, and I tend to agree with them. In two years when you finished your courses, your 5DII will be "outdated" already. The temptation to upgrade will definitely be there. The 60D with the 15-85 is quite a combo and would save you some money. You have to remember, in the end it's the photographer and not the equipment which delivers amazing images.

OP jupat New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated.

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,883
Don't get that 15-85mm (and probably not a 5D mk II)

At least, I do not think that is the best idea. The f-values say something about how big the lens opening can be, and that a big impact on image look. The bigger the lens opening, the more shallow the depth of focus. Or in other words, while the subject is in focus, the back and foreground will get blurry.

To have a bit of control over this, it states that the bigger aperture the better.

The 15-85mm has a maximum fvalue of 3.5 at widest focal length to f5.6 at the long end. Not the best lens to fit the brief at all.

It would be wiser to look at the 17-50mm f2.8 class. Those lenses fit the brief much better.

The best one you can get besides the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, but it is a tad expensive. SO I would recommend the just about as good Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM. Together with the EOS 60D.

If for whatever reason you have people talk you into getting the 5D mk II, look at the Canon EF 24-105mm f4 IS USM or the very affordable and wider aperture Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

Downsides for choosing a 5D mk II are:

It is big and heavy. Try one in a shop, it may feel not great in your hands if your hands are not big.
It has no built in flash.
The 60D has a very nice swivel LCD.

Lenses for the 5D mk II will always be heavier and more expensive. This may again be a problem.
The 60D has a better AF subsystem.

Plus points for the 5D mk II: With its bigger sensor, with the right lenses you have a bit more room for shallow depth of focus. And the bigger view finder.

I think it is a much smarter move to go for the 60D and the 17-50mm f2.8 from Sigma. Possibly with a canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM for bigger aperture portrait lens.

If in future you for whatever reason feel you want to grow into a full frame camera like the 5D mk II, you can always upgrade then. The prices of then 2nd hand 5D mk II's will have fallen to such an extent that it probably will cost less to own both the 60D + 5D mk II at that moment than a 5D mk II now.

The 60D is a very complete and good camera. Only get a more expensive camera once you know why YOU want it.

aaaja Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

i disagree: the EF 24-105 f/4L IS not a very fast lense. (F/4) is not that fantastic.

It is a great lense - no missunderstanding. BUT in a scool ?- indoors with lets say max. ISO 1600?(5d2) - yo may run into shortage of light - theatre and sport)

the 24-70 (maybe from Sigma) is twice as fast. (just get closer - move)

To be honest - i would by a 50mm 1.4 prime for (definetly Sigma) Groups - and depending o the budget a 70-200 2.8 II Canon L/ IS for a scool - and if there is still $$$ maybe a 24mm prime for larger groups or rooms..
--
.

jcochran Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

Obviously the instructor of the course is not interested in the students purchasing a fast lens and is placing the emphasis on a range of specific focal lengths for some reason. The OP's question was indeed quite clear in asking what lens would be equivalent to the 15-85 EF-S lens on a full frame camera because she would like to comply with the request of the instructor as much as possible. Even though the 5D Mark II has been replaced by the Mark III, it will serve her quite well for the course and well beyond. It is an exceptional camera that can produce stellar images in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer. It will not stop doing so at the end of the course in two years or just because there is a newer model available and at its present price, is a good bargain. While the 24-105 is not the equivalent of the 135 mm 15-85 EF-S (24-135 in FF) the ability to crop the images from a FF sensor more than compensates for this shortfall. The combination of the Mark II and 24-105 f/4L, if she can afford it, has been and still is the workhorse for many. If I could afford it, I for one would be thrilled to have such a capable kit to learn and work with. While many of the opinions here are valid for various reasons they do not quite answer the important question of what FF body lens is equivalent to the instructors recommendation for the course. My only reservation would be is if the instructor plans on using some of the scene modes and on-board flash on the 60D during the course, they will not be available on the 5DII.

-- hide signature --
 jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 +19 more
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

jcochran wrote:

Obviously the instructor of the course is not interested in the students purchasing a fast lens and is placing the emphasis on a range of specific focal lengths for some reason. The OP's question was indeed quite clear in asking what lens would be equivalent to the 15-85 EF-S lens on a full frame camera because she would like to comply with the request of the instructor as much as possible.

Thinking about this, most likely the reason for the choice is a reasonable quality of the lens combined with a decent focal range, i.e. going from 24 to 85 you can teach about different impacts of angle of view. Obviously DOF seems to be not a big issue.

So, the 24 -105 IS would probably be just fine.

And in any case, you just can buy a 50mm f1.8 really cheap if one needs to play around with thin DOF.

Even though the 5D Mark II has been replaced by the Mark III, it will serve her > quite well for the course and well beyond. It is an exceptional camera that can produce stellar images in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer. It will not stop doing so at the end of the course in two years or just because there is a newer model available and at its present price, is a good bargain. While the 24-105 is not the equivalent of the 135 mm 15-85 EF-S (24-135 in FF) the ability to crop the images from a FF sensor more than compensates for this shortfall. The combination of the Mark II and 24-105 f/4L, if she can afford it, has been and still is the workhorse for many. If I could afford it, I for one would be thrilled to have such a capable kit to learn and work with. While many of the opinions here are valid for various reasons they do not quite answer the important question of what FF body lens is equivalent to the instructors recommendation for the course. My only reservation would be is if the instructor plans on using some of the scene modes and on-board flash on the 60D during the course, they will not be available on the 5DII.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

 photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892
Re: Help! I have to get a lens for a 5D mark ii for school

jupat wrote:

Of the three colleges I applied to, they all gave a list of 'recommended' equipment but I have spoken to a teacher about this particular camera and I will not be the orange amongst the apples. I am taking a course and not learning on my own because I want to learn in a structured atmosphere. I am fortunate enough to have had my kids, spent my life working and now I just want to focus without distractions of everyday life getting in the way (as I said I am fortunate enough to be in a position to do this).

Thanks to those who are giving me advice on the actual question, if I had wanted grief I would have spoken to my ex-husband.

I thought it was a simple enough question!

I agree with the other posters who've indicated that the EF 24-105L is probably the closest full frame analogue to the EF-S 15-85. But since you're already communicating with your instructor, you might consider running this question by him or her.

 bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon Z7 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads