NEW SR5 Rumor! 30mm f1.8!

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Sony NEX roadmap.

High Magnification Zoom is likely going to be a compact, E-mount version of Sony's new 55-300 lens developed for A-mount. What Tamron lens would that be?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Everdog Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837

The "G" lens was moved to 2013 in the latest roadmap. There are 4 lenses listed for 2012. Three are as I said above...

Standard zoom -> 16-50mm
Larger aperture standard -> 35mm F/1.8
Wide angle zoom -> 11-18mm zoom

The fourth was mostly the new 18-200.

Also my guess is like last year we won't see the 2012 lenses until early October.

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Not sure about these stories of “delay”, but Sony had four zoom lenses marked for launch in 2012. Of these, I won’t be surprised with two of them being…
Wide Angle Zoom: 18-135mm
High Magnification Zoom: 55-300mm

But, it is the other two that are intriguing…

Standard Zoom: Sony’s A-mount 16-50 f/2.8 is a “G” lens in pretty much every aspect except that it is designed for APS-C sensor). Unless Sony decides on an exception, it is possible that the standard zoom will be 16-50 f/2.8 (which would also make it high performance but not necessarily a G lens).

High Performance Standard Zoom: Interestingly marked a G lens, could Sony be planning a 24-75mm lens for a full frame NEX which might be up its sleeve? My take on high performance is that it will have a large/constant aperture, and standard zoom would entail the typical 24-80 or 90mm but not more than that.

Besides the four zooms, there is one prime scheduled for launch in 2012 and the one likely “rumored”…

Large Aperture Standard: It sounds like a more compact version of 35mm f/1.8 currently offered for A-mount.

There are two primes scheduled for 2013:
Middle Telephoto: Likely a more compact version of Sony’s A-mount 85mm f/2.8
Pancake: This will be a 24mm lens.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,702

Most likely no O.S.S.
Sony needs to start putting IBIS into their NEX bodies.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
ulfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299
Re: NEW SR5 Rumor! 30mm f1.8!

It could--note "could"--be their A-mount 35/1.8, itself no slouch optically, somehow fitted for E-mount. Then it might be around US $200 as is the A-mount one. OSS supposedly isn't so doable for large min. aperture lenses so I'd count this out.

If whatever it is is relatively inexpensive, say US $180~225, then Sigma might lower the price of its 30/2.8 E-mount to say US $139.95 to keep its market share there.

Who knows ...?

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

ulfie wrote:

It could--note "could"--be their A-mount 35/1.8, itself no slouch optically, somehow fitted for E-mount. Then it might be around US $200 as is the A-mount one. OSS supposedly isn't so doable for large min. aperture lenses so I'd count this out.

If whatever it is is relatively inexpensive, say US $180~225, then Sigma might lower the price of its 30/2.8 E-mount to say US $139.95 to keep its market share there.

Who knows ...?

It could also be a pinhole with a Jujube over it, but it's not likely.

Given the design consistency shown across every single E-mount lens Sony has introduced, at the very least the overall structure should be a significantly different lens than the SAL35F18.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
EinsteinsGhost

Everdog wrote:

The "G" lens was moved to 2013 in the latest roadmap. There are 4 lenses listed for 2012. Three are as I said above...

Standard zoom -> 16-50mm

The fourth was mostly the new 18-200.

Also my guess is like last year we won't see the 2012 lenses until early October.

Which is about when I expect most new launches (following photokina). I doubt we will see 11-18 for "wide angle zoom". That is ultra-wide angle zoom range. And update to 18-200 won't be a new high magnification zoom either (unless there is a new 18-250 to replace the old 18-200). More likely in my opinion is 55-300, and 18-135... two zoom lenses and 35/1.8.

As for "G", it eludes me what that lens is meant to be considering Sony has not yet launched a G for APS-C sensor. May be it will be different for E-mount than it has been for A-mount.

From the roadmap, it is hard to tell if it is late 2012 or early 2013, or just 2013...

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,541

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

As for "G", it eludes me what that lens is meant to be considering Sony has not yet launched a G for APS-C sensor. May be it will be different for E-mount than it has been for A-mount.

Sony has P&S cameras with "G" lenses. I wouldn't get too hung up on the label. I'm sure it's there to highlight a lens that they consider exceptional.

From the roadmap, it is hard to tell if it is late 2012 or early 2013, or just 2013...

I think it was said that it could be anywhere during the year in which it appears. So the "snap pancake" could appear at the end of 2013.
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Elite83 Contributing Member • Posts: 942

If...

The 35mm 1.8 lens is released at a similar price as the 50 1.8 I will buy it in a heartbeat. And it will probably be my most frequently used lens. But that doesn't say much as I only own the kit lens, a Rokkor 50 1.7, and a vivitar 300mm tele.

However...

If it is significantly more expensive... sadly I won't be the owner of it. As a poor college student, I could never justify spending a little more than $350ish on it. Only reason why I even have an NEX now is because I managed to get on on sale when Amazon was trying to clear its stock of 5's before the 5n came out. Glad I got one though, as I found out that I am a photographer at heart.

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,702

My guess is around $300.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

It wil be a newly designed lens for E-mount. To create a lens for E-mound takes more then just screw on a new mount as the registration distance is different by a lot. So it must be opticly redesigned to be usefull. And as said, the E-mount lenses are all with metal mount and other metal parts, so they will be more expensive then the plastic A-mount lenses. But a smaller lens for the E-mount would be welcome!

Everdog wrote:

Look at the roadmap for 2012:

Standard zoom -> 16-50mm

By the rumors this will be a small "pancake" lens

By the rumors this lens will be as small as the Sima 19&30mm lens

Again by the rumors a Pancake lens

What happened to the high magnification zoom? Was that delayed with the "G" lens or is that the Tamron re-badge?

This zoom lens is the rebadged Tamron for some a bit of a dissapointment, but it is as it is.

Anyway no suprises.

I think you must be greatly surprised by the size of the lenses, as you always claimed that the lenses for an APS sensor must be huge but now the rumors show that there will be some smaller lenses too...

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,319
I think you might be right on that but

at least when they are released they actually exist. While mft has a larger range it is damn near impossible to find many of the lenses if you want to buy them. Sort of like the lens equivalents of vapourware.
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
EinsteinsGhost

If the pricing trend follows A-mount lenses, the 35mm/1.8 would be cheaper than 50mm/1.8. I have the A-mount 35mm/1.8 which sees most of its time on the NEX and the two make for a great combination (even with LA-EA1 adapter, the combination is relatively small and very light). And I paid only $165 for mine.

EinsteinsGhost

While the 30mm (macro) and 50mm/1.8 are probably close adaptations of A-mount lenses for E-mount, it is possible that Sony might design the standard prime (35mm) for compactness. And if it is a fast lens, there may not be a need for OSS which could help trim the size. I think Sony will stick with 49mm filter for its 35mm/1.8 (it is 55mm for A-mount version) which may help cut the diameter by 8mm (down from 70mm to 62mm, as is also true of other E-mount lenses).

IMO, Samyang did a fantastic job of compacting its fisheye lens for E-mount. The new (8mm/2.8) is impressively compact compared to the 8mm f/3.5. In fact, with the (fixed) hood, it is still shorter than the kit zoom lens (without its hood on).

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

IMO, Samyang did a fantastic job of compacting its fisheye lens for E-mount. The new (8mm/2.8) is impressively compact compared to the 8mm f/3.5. In fact, with the (fixed) hood, it is still shorter than the kit zoom lens (without its hood on).

Yes, I agree. The Samyang 8mm f2.8 is a great little fish eye for sure. The size and handling are just perfect. Like all fish eye lenses it is a bear to focus. For most shots I just set it at about 2 feet and f8 to f11 and let er rip, everything is in focus.

For closer stuff I try to give a good estimate of lens to subject, but still try to stop down.

wll

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

While the 30mm (macro) and 50mm/1.8 are probably close adaptations of A-mount lenses for E-mount,

I doubt th 50mm is an adaptation of an A-mount lens: first the flange distance is dramaticly different, second there is OSS in the lens, third the focus system is different next the 1.8 A-mount lens has 6 elements in 5 groups, the E-mount 9 elements in 8 groups and last the build quality is different. Do how close can it be?

it is possible that Sony might design the standard prime (35mm) for compactness. And if it is a fast lens, there may not be a need for OSS which could help trim the size. I think Sony will stick with 49mm filter for its 35mm/1.8 (it is 55mm for A-mount version) which may help cut the diameter by 8mm (down from 70mm to 62mm, as is also true of other E-mount lenses).

The rumors make this part right, the new lens might be as compact as the Sigma lenses...

EinsteinsGhost

gfrensen wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

While the 30mm (macro) and 50mm/1.8 are probably close adaptations of A-mount lenses for E-mount,

I doubt th 50mm is an adaptation of an A-mount lens: first the flange distance is dramaticly different, second there is OSS in the lens, third the focus system is different next the 1.8 A-mount lens has 6 elements in 5 groups, the E-mount 9 elements in 8 groups and last the build quality is different. Do how close can it be?

Adaptation is where you make adjustments for a mount with shorter flange distance, and compactness. Samyang Fisheye, a lens I mentioned earlier, is an example of that (one could argue the new E-mount 8mm/2.8 shares nothing with the older 8mm/3.5) but it does share the design principles (including pseudo-stereographic projection), and compacted with fewer elements and smaller glass size to fit the profile of these compact cameras.

NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Really looking forward to this one...

trainerKEN wrote:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new-35mm-f1-8-lens-for-nex-coming/

My Nikon 35/1.8 lived on my D40. I'll be crossing fingers that this new lens can match or beat its optical performance. If it does, it'll be the next lens I get!

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads