X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Started Aug 4, 2012 | Discussions
jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Here are a few X-S1 pictures from my vacation in Maine
All comments welcome

Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zagato Contributing Member • Posts: 557
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Wonderful series. Number three with that amazing depth of field and the reflection of the lighthouse in the tiny waterhole is very impressing.

Judging by your pictures the X-S1 performs very well on the wide end up to mid tele, and renders sharp and detailed pictures whereas the extreme tele (158.6 = 624mm) shows the limits clearly. (Did you use EXR mode with resolution priority?)

I appreciate the fact that you posted the original shots as in this way only, in my opinion, one can evaluate how the camera really performs and.....

it's nice to see other users than Paul Till (who produces excellent photos with his X-S1) publishing their impressions with this underrated camera.

Brgds
Michael (Vienna)

 Zagato's gear list:Zagato's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 +4 more
wymjym Veteran Member • Posts: 5,492
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Hi,

all the images tell a story but I am most drawn to #3, the formations point to a main theme and the pool of water/reflection adds a bit of dissonance to the striations.

very cool

wj
--
nikonfujiandricoh

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,973
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

For me, in the first four, the houses would be the most interesting thing in the photo but they are far away with too much photo area taken up with uninteresting foreground. Do you have any that you zoomed in more?

OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Midwest wrote:

For me, in the first four, the houses would be the most interesting thing in the photo but they are far away with too much photo area taken up with uninteresting foreground. Do you have any that you zoomed in more?

Here are a few that are more close up:

Irene de Groot
Irene de Groot Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Lovely Photos you have taken , and thank you for the display of the settings , as I am new to that camera, have used the Fujifinepix S100fs for 4 years and there is a difference in the way the pictures come out, took 3 of each camera with the same scenery at the same time as close as possible and send it of to fuji, going to see what the reply is
here is one I took on our last trip with the S100fs

 Irene de Groot's gear list:Irene de Groot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Irene de Groot wrote:

Lovely Photos you have taken , and thank you for the display of the settings , as I am new to that camera, have used the Fujifinepix S100fs for 4 years and there is a difference in the way the pictures come out, took 3 of each camera with the same scenery at the same time as close as possible and send it of to fuji, going to see what the reply is
here is one I took on our last trip with the S100fs

Nice photo. I find the X-S1 has a tendency to underexpose photos so I find myself compensating for that with EVs in the camera or in Post processing.

OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Zagato wrote:

Wonderful series. Number three with that amazing depth of field and the reflection of the lighthouse in the tiny waterhole is very impressing.

Judging by your pictures the X-S1 performs very well on the wide end up to mid tele, and renders sharp and detailed pictures whereas the extreme tele (158.6 = 624mm) shows the limits clearly. (Did you use EXR mode with resolution priority?)

I appreciate the fact that you posted the original shots as in this way only, in my opinion, one can evaluate how the camera really performs and.....

it's nice to see other users than Paul Till (who produces excellent photos with his X-S1) publishing their impressions with this underrated camera.

Brgds
Michael (Vienna)

Thanks - I haven't used the X-S1 for too long before my trip so I was trying to shoot in Manual mode and handle the settings myself. I did do some shooting in EXR mode with Resolution priority and was pleased with the results.

OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

wymjym wrote:

Hi,

all the images tell a story but I am most drawn to #3, the formations point to a main theme and the pool of water/reflection adds a bit of dissonance to the striations.

very cool

wj
--
nikonfujiandricoh

Thanks, but that shot is well known - that reflection has been painted by local artists for years and many a photo has been taken of it.

Irene de Groot
Irene de Groot Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Thank you for that information , noticed on some of your photos the setting, I can change the setting in SP Ok , just don't find it in auto?

Do not feel like changing every Photo on the computer manually , as I took over 3ooo pics this holiday, 42 days :)traveling the South West in Western Australia

I had that problem with my first digital Ricoh, I bought in 2000, was great camera, had to change it in summer and winter for that

 Irene de Groot's gear list:Irene de Groot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
Irene de Groot
Irene de Groot Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Well I did find it where to set it up, makes some difference thank you again,

Also found something interesting about the Hoya HMC UV (C ) filter, if I take the filter of the camera for Macros get a much clearer shot,
checked it also with the scenery shot , the same

did not think about that filter because on the other Finepix S100fs it is always left on , so might have to get a clear filter to product the camera lens

 Irene de Groot's gear list:Irene de Groot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
HansN46
HansN46 Contributing Member • Posts: 881
A serious comment

I won't say that I don't appreciate these series. Actually I like it. But to call them "wonderful" and "very cool" is not the comment OP is waiting for, I guess. So here is mine.

I have said this before in this forum: why should I take someones photos seriously if he/she doesn't take the trouble to put them horizontally straight before presenting it to me? For this reason in no serious contest these photos would be considered as candidates for a price. It's part of preparing your photos for presenting them in the most positive way.

The only exception is #3. That is a very interesting photo I like very much and the only one that is straight and with a very nice perspective.

Not to offend you, just to encourage,
Good luck, H.

-- hide signature --

Happy photographing!

 HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +9 more
PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286
Re: A serious comment

HansN46 wrote:

I won't say that I don't appreciate these series. Actually I like it. But to call them "wonderful" and "very cool" is not the comment OP is waiting for, I guess. So here is mine.

I have said this before in this forum: why should I take someones photos seriously if he/she doesn't take the trouble to put them horizontally straight before presenting it to me? For this reason in no serious contest these photos would be considered as candidates for a price. It's part of preparing your photos for presenting them in the most positive way.

The only exception is #3. That is a very interesting photo I like very much and the only one that is straight and with a very nice perspective.

Not to offend you, just to encourage,
Good luck, H.

I think he's showing us the SOOC shots although he might find it helpful if he turned on the electronic level in future.

The EVF is very good on the X-S1 so there really is no excuse for not getting the horizon straight.

Paul.

OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Irene de Groot wrote:

Well I did find it where to set it up, makes some difference thank you again,

Also found something interesting about the Hoya HMC UV (C ) filter, if I take the filter of the camera for Macros get a much clearer shot,
checked it also with the scenery shot , the same

did not think about that filter because on the other Finepix S100fs it is always left on , so might have to get a clear filter to product the camera lens

Yes, I have found the same. I keep a Fuji Protector Filter PRF-62 on the X-S1 for all purpose shooting and switch off with a B&W MRC Haze and a B&W MRC Circular Polarizer. I bought the B&W filters in a rush and the shop only had the Slim version in stock in 62mm which doesn't have outside threads to allow the lens cap to be put on. So these filters only stay on when I am actually shooting and then I put the Protector filter back on.

Irene de Groot
Irene de Groot Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

Thank you for that information , checked the filters out you mentioned,
If there is bright sunlight that filter of mine works great,

on a dull day , that is where the problem is, we do have strong UV rays down here
Did shot some pics in JPG-Raw worked great,

I think with anything new we have to do trial and error, every camera is different and we should not compare it with our old one, because in the end we find a solution

 Irene de Groot's gear list:Irene de Groot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X-S1
buckshot
buckshot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,959
agreed

Not to offend you, just to encourage,

...just to add the clouds in that Pemiquid shot are awesome! That shot with a little pp play would be killer!!!
--
JB
I am not a photographer, I am just a guy that takes pictures.
http://buckshotsimageblog.blogspot.com/

buckshot
buckshot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,959
an edit for you

jabber54

This is what I meant

-- hide signature --

JB
I am not a photographer, I am just a guy that takes pictures.
http://buckshotsimageblog.blogspot.com/

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,973
Re: X-S1 on the Maine Coast

I like 4, 5 and 6 - they put me more at the scene. The distance shots are ok for scenic / landscape type shots, but I like to feel like I'm at that house. These shots are better for that. And the last shot too is very pretty.

Just my .02 ... thanks for posting them.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,973
Re: A serious comment

I did notice that the horizons were crooked. Not referring to the OP in particular here but I do wonder sometimes if people really see what they are photographing - not just crooked horizons but chopped-off statues, backsides of people / animals / birds, things like that.

OP jabber54 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: an edit for you

buckshot wrote:

jabber54

This is what I meant

Thanks for the edit - what tweaks did you make and what software did you use?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads