Blind cave spider from Slovenia

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
fulvio51
fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,858
Blind cave spider from Slovenia

These spiders do not make any webs at all. They wander on the walls and the floor of the karstic caves searching for preys (such as woodlice and millipedes).
Male specimen, body length 7 mm.

Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
hesbehindyou Senior Member • Posts: 1,719
Re: Blind cave spider from Slovenia

fulvio51 wrote:

These spiders do not make any webs at all. They wander on the walls and the floor of the karstic caves searching for preys (such as woodlice and millipedes).

Fascinating; in the UK we have a very similar spider that we call a woodlouse spider. Differences are that ours has eyes and, if I remember correctly, no hairs on its abdomen. I've only ever seen one before (inside my bedroom, two inches from my head...)

Do you have a shot showing the spiders fangs? They're impressively huge for such a small spider.

fulvio51
fulvio51 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,858

hesbehindyou wrote:

Fascinating; in the UK we have a very similar spider that we call a woodlouse spider. Differences are that ours has eyes and, if I remember correctly, no hairs on its abdomen. I've only ever seen one before (inside my bedroom, two inches from my head...)

Do you have a shot showing the spiders fangs? They're impressively huge for such a small spider.

I think the spider you have seen is the widespread Dysdera crocota (see photo, cephalothorax with long and projecting forward chelicera), the largest of the four species of this family (Dysderidae) living in the UK.

Cheers,
Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
hesbehindyou Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

fulvio51 wrote:

I think the spider you have seen is the widespread Dysdera crocota (see photo, cephalothorax with long and projecting forward chelicera), the largest of the four species of this family (Dysderidae) living in the UK.

That's the one! I'd always thought its colour scheme was unique until I saw your photograph.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads