How long is D800/E Service taking?

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions
SpiritShooter New Member • Posts: 21
How long is D800/E Service taking?

7/09 Sent my D800 to Nikon FedEx
7/10 FedEx confirmed arrived Melville, NY
7/16 Notified by Nikon Camera was received & will be repaired under warranty.
7/23 Notified camera in Shop
8/01 No new information

Anyone have any insight as to how long Nikon is taking to fix and return.
Fortunately I received a second D800E yesterday but wondering none the less.

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
elliotn Senior Member • Posts: 1,803
Re: How long is D800/E Service taking?

3 or 4 weeks seems normal. But don't get too excited - they don't know how to fix it.

ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
Maybe you will be lucky ... Melville disgrace

Sent mine in around the same time as you ... got it back last week. B1 repair. Left to right seems fixed ... BUT the camera is FF so much it needs a +20 on a perfect 70-200 that has never needed any fine tuning. Two other lenses that are also perfect now need +12 and +15. The 70-200 is also not as sharp as it was on this body.

Hope you get lucky. The tech that did mine had no pride what so ever: either they were too lazy to check out the repair properly, or just did not care and threw it in a box. Even worse, there's manager that is not setting the bar, demanding excellence.

I'll accept a manufacturing defect, with the expectation that Nikon deals with the issue in a timely and thorough manner. I asked if they were able to correct this situation before I sent it in, and stated I will wait if they are not prepared. They said send it in.

There is no excuse possible for sending it back to the customer not 100% perfect, and it they can't, they should be clear in that as well. I'd rather they keep it a few more days, even a week, rather than have to start all over. By the time I send it back, and get it back, it'll be 3 weeks the first time, a week testing and back forth BS with Nikon, another 3 weeks, and for what could be just another waste of time.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
OP SpiritShooter New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Maybe you will be lucky ... Melville disgrace

Jeez, sounds like a serious cluster fvck.

I received a second new D800E on Tuesday which tested perfect, so I have no issue sending it back if I have to, but you are right, at least take the time to do it right the first time.

This situation has got to be hurting Nikon..... sad really.

Moondancer Forum Member • Posts: 74

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I got mine serviced by El Segundo center for a B2 repair. It took 2 days to get the camera logged into their system, then it spent about 1 week in the shop, so all in all the turn around time is under 2 weeks.

The left focus points do appear to be improved, but the center focus point is much degraded now. On my 24-70mm f/2.8, the center focus needed a -7 AF fine tune before recalibration, but needs a +20 now. But at 30mm and wider it appears to really need a +23 to +25. My other 85mm and 50mm primes all shifted from needing a -6 to a +7 now.

Anyway, contacting Nikon to try to send the camera in again. I noticed I had sent in the camera with AF fine tune values saved even though I disabled AF Fine tune. This time I will put all saved values to zero just in case. Seriously though I feel everyone (including Nikon) is probably just hacking and hoping something works out.

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,413
Mine took 5 days (El Segundo)

They received my D800 on Thursday and shipped it out yesterday (Wednesday).

William Neal New Member • Posts: 22

I have a similar timeline:

Delivery to Melville on 07/19
Received in shop status on 07/25
As of today no change

I called Nikon this morning to see if customer service could give me more details on my service order. I just got a standard reply of the camera will be in shop for 5 to 10 business days, then goes through a two day testing process before being shipped back. I was kind of surprised to hear about the two day testing period with all the reports of the cameras being returned with center focus issues.

Does anybody know what Nikon's replacement policy is? It seems like many people with newer D800s do not have any issues. So in theory Nikon could replace the entire guts of the camera or replace the defective units with new ones.

Has anybody received a D800 back from Melville working as it should?

Bill

leschnyhan New Member • Posts: 2

I just received a D800 yesterday (from B&H, ordered in mid April). I had read about the focus problem, but hoped that since I was getting mine later than the first several thousand people, Nikon might have changed their production techniques to fix this problem. I tested it out with a 24-70 f2.8 lens and discovered that it is noticeably soft on the left side. I am disappointed. I will also point out that this camera acquires focus slower and less accurately than my two-year-old Canon 7D, which cost half as much. Big disappointment. I called Nikon and was told to send the camera to El Segundo (at my shipping expense) for service that will take 7-10 days. And from what I'm reading on these posts, the "fix" is not all that successful. I am contemplating returning the camera to B&H instead, and getting a 5DIII instead. Lower resolution but at least the photos are in focus. I was about to put all my Canon glass on eBay. If there are people who have had a really positive experience sending their D800 to Nikon for service of the AF issue, please let me know. I really wish this camera lived up to my expectations. I'd like to keep it, but I can't live with bad autofocus.

leschnyhan's gear list:leschnyhan's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D +3 more
Re: How long is D800/E Service taking?--Parts Hold

Just checked the status of my service order in Melville, now I am on parts hold. So it appears the fix in my case is more than just re-calibration of focus points.

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

William Neal wrote:

Just checked the status of my service order in Melville, now I am on parts hold.

Gads! That could be "months" on a parts wait out of Nikon. Nikon isn't exactly fast on back-ordered parts, sort of like their back-ordered lenses.

Wonder what part they want to replace? Maybe their tech messed up something on it too causing the issue. Maybe they got another 'new fix' in the pipeline too and using it as a stall (One can dream.).

Mack

I just called Nikon customer service and my D800 is no longer on parts hold even though that is what it states on the web. I asked what parts were replaced but I was told that when the repair is complete that I would get a complete description of what was done. I asked to speak to somebody in Melville but was told that was not possible and that he could follow up with the tech to get my estimated ship date. Supposedly the customer service rep is going to email me that date. I will believe it when I get the email.

William Neal wrote:

I just called Nikon customer service and my D800 is no longer on parts hold even though that is what it states on the web. I asked what parts were replaced but I was told that when the repair is complete that I would get a complete description of what was done. I asked to speak to somebody in Melville but was told that was not possible and that he could follow up with the tech to get my estimated ship date. Supposedly the customer service rep is going to email me that date. I will believe it when I get the email.

Isn't Nikon customer service just amazing? You cannot talk to the service facility? I know I got Barcelona, Spain in my recent attempt which went to "Resolved" before I got back to them in 4 hours. Spain probably went to bed.

No wonder Canon has better service. Melville may as well have an unlisted phone number. But at least their lack of recorded customer complaints (via RightNow software no doubt) numbers look very good to corporate. "We have gotten zero complaints according to our software log, so we are doing just fine." RighNow software probably doesn't have a "UPS is delivering the same package again for the same problem" checkbox.

I can send you your invoice right now. It says: "B2 Repair. Minor parts replaced. Clean and adjust AF as needed." You happy? Of course, it will now front focus at a +20 with half your lenses too. Those you can send in next week.

Mack

I spoke to Customer service today and was told that parts arrived from Japan yesterday and the status of my repair is "in Shop". When I asked what parts came from Japan they said it will all be documented when the order is complete.

Received notice from MELVILLE that my D800 is shipping back to me.
Been 4 1/2 weeks if I see it tomorrow or Friday.

If it isn't fixed properly, I think I will sell it and buy a Leica.

I just received my D800 back with no explanation of what was done while in repair. So once again, I called Nikon service and asked what was done to my camera. The rep told me re-calibration and cleaning of the focusing system. I said when I spoke to a different rep two days ago when my camera was on parts hold, he said parts were coming in from Japan. Today the rep said no parts were replaced sometimes the status is changed to parts hold when it is waiting for a tech to work on it. Sounds like a load of crap to me but I will take a few shots during lunch today and see what I get.

Regarding your buying a Canon...

Fwiw, my Canon 5D Mark II test has a much worse left-right issue than my two Nikons. Nice bright red (from FoCal testing) in the upper left and it is only 9 AF sensors. No red in either of my Nikons (D7000 and D800E which is the best of the lot), but not 100% perfect either. Never paid attention to this left-right hysteria in the Canon until this went viral. Now I know it too is bad.

This mutli-sensor AF thing is really a crap shoot. Could happen with any brand and I seriously doubt any one camera out there is 100% if you look at the reports generated out of FoCal. Remember, FoCal came around due to Canon issues first and then moved to Nikon. It became noticed first in the Canon line, but a lot more of them out there for it to get noticed on too.

Most you can do is hope for a good one from any brand, but none will be plu-perfect even if you would like or think it should. Hence, tolerance.

Mack

William Neal wrote:

I just received my D800 back with no explanation of what was done while in repair. So once again, I called Nikon service and asked what was done to my camera. The rep told me re-calibration and cleaning of the focusing system. I said when I spoke to a different rep two days ago when my camera was on parts hold, he said parts were coming in from Japan. Today the rep said no parts were replaced sometimes the status is changed to parts hold when it is waiting for a tech to work on it. Sounds like a load of crap to me but I will take a few shots during lunch today and see what I get.

Good luck with your test, and fingers crossed.

Getting followup info out of any service is pointless as is my car dealership. Just a check-sheet and who knows what the mechanic really did or what bolts he stripped out. One time I left after service and the car suddenly shot up to 80 MPH due to some misplaced accelerator spring that fell off. So much for their "test ride" post-fix. Least they did do something to it for make me take notice of.

Mack

My D800 finally arrived this AM.
4-1/2 weeks door to door including next day FedEx going there.

Wrapped up nicely in a cute plastic bag with a Nikon School advertisement attached. Sweet....

The paperwork attached indicates that the following was done:

1. Adjusted Auto Focus Operation
2. Checked Communication.
3. Cleaned CCD
4. General Check & Clean

Sounds pretty standard from what most other folks are saying. Will have to check the camera this evening and see what the AF looks like.

Mine came back with the same wrapping and advertisement. It gets better....

My Focusing is spot on with live view in the center and pretty good with the left but nothing through the view finder is in focus. Do fine tune adjustments effect live view?

ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
You may need to adjust the viewfinder diopter ...

Mine came back with the diopter adjusted to one extreme. Page 35 in the manual.

General explanation here:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/639/~/viewfinder-diopter-adjustment

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads