Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Kayaking with Meike housing and RX100

There is a grip on the market that attaches to the tripod mounting that you can remove with a simple thumbscrew.  I think this is the best grip solution if you use the Meinke .

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Chuck Holst New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Kayaking with Meike housing and RX100

Alternately, buy the new Sony grip and drill a hole in it for the one standoff that conflicts with it.

jagr Regular Member • Posts: 245
changing shutter speed in manual mode

has anyone figured out how to change the shutter speed in manual mode in this housing? the control ring only changes aperture. would like to be able to have access to change both.

also a trick to set custom white balance would be much appreciated

-- hide signature --

Was - 707, 717
Is - 828
http://mercurycube.com

Chuck Holst New Member • Posts: 21
Re: changing shutter speed in manual mode

Have you considered using the camera in aperture priority mode, which would allow you to set the aperture using the control ring, and then set the shutter speed using exposure compensation? It's a clumsy workaround, but it would get you where you want to go. Alternately, you could use the camera in shutter priority mode, which would allow you to set the shutter speed using the control ring, and then set the aperture using exposure compensation. Which priority mode you used would depend on which was most important to you, aperture or shutter speed.

My use of the camera and Meikon case may be different from yours. I bought mine for use from a bouncy sea kayak, so I use shutter speed priority and set the aperture using the histogram and exposure compensation. In camp, however, I might switch to aperture priority or program mode.

An alternative to setting custom white balance would be to carry a WB reference card and photograph it every so often as the light changes, then change your WB afterward in Lightroom or whatever your favorite software is using the reference card photos.

jagr Regular Member • Posts: 245
cheaper on ebay?

is this the same item as what is mentioned here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281147049015

what92au New Member • Posts: 2
Meike housing and RX100 II

Hi,

I am interested in getting one of these housings to use snorkeling around the Galapagos Islands in a few weeks.

Does anyone know if the existing Meike/Meikon housing for the  RX100 will also work with the new RX 100 II/M2?

I believe the only physical differences between the two cameras is the II is a few mm's thicker and has the flash shoe.

Do you think the current housing could accommodate the slightly thicker body?

Thanks

lesnag2 Junior Member • Posts: 36

While in Manual mode you can change the functionality of the front ring via menus. By default it changes aperture but it can be set to change shutter speed. It is just few clicks. I don't know which menu exactly by heart though.

I'm not sure what do you mean by "trick to set custom white balance". There is an option to set custom white balance in the menu for, well, changing white balance.

lesnag2's gear list:lesnag2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,364
Re: Meike housing and RX100 II

Hi,

I am interested in getting one of these housings to use snorkeling around the Galapagos Islands in a few weeks.

Does anyone know if the existing Meike/Meikon housing for the  RX100 will also work with the new RX 100 II/M2?

I believe the only physical differences between the two cameras is the II is a few mm's thicker and has the flash shoe.

Thanks

Meike/Meikon have already priduced RX100 II's housing. So do Nauticam, Recsea, Ilelite. It is very easy to use Strobes
--
Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +69 more

There is another way to change shutter speed in Manual mode:

Use mode dial to switch to Shutter priority, set the shutter speed with the front ring and switch back to Manual mode to set aperture (shutter speed will persist).

This is just one twist of a button. Better, no?

what92au New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Meike housing and RX100 II

Mark K wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the existing Meike/Meikon housing for the RX100 will also work with the new RX 100 II/M2?

Thanks

Meike/Meikon have already priduced RX100 II's housing. So do Nauticam, Recsea, Ilelite. It is very easy to use Strobes
--
Mark K

Thanks Mark - yes, I eventually found their new model for the RX100 II.  Ordered from a guy named Leo at  Meikon/Shenzen Kaichengyi Technology - he was really good to deal with.

After less than a week, have just taken delivery of the case and it looks great.  Having said that, I'm not sure how long I'll hang on to it for - I've really only bought it for the trip to the Galapagos (I want to get the most out of the trip) - so might sell it when I get back.

Thanks for your help.

Sir Thom New Member • Posts: 4

Great idea! Thanks!!!

WB-Trick:

Someome mentioned to take a picture of a grey card befor the actual picture. I tried it...and in Lightroom I synced the WB - well, it worked but not really good...the white balance is much more accurate the "original" way and use jpg.

So, my only trick by now is to put WB on the left button. Then it's a 4 Step routine: Left, down, shutter (on greycard), ok. I'd prefer it quicker, but it works.

John356 Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: Tried it out

First of all thanks for all on this site who found and tested the RX100 Meikon housing -- am a snorkeler who had very mixed results with compact waterproofs (TX5 and D20) but was put off by cost of branded housings. As per others general comments pleased with the quality of mine and note fasteners appear to be stainless but not sure about the non hot hot shoe - "tripod" plate looks like stainless. Company aside from not main stream appears to take product seriously i.e. very cautious detailed care instructions. In use no probs but see below, I live now in Asia so no need for gloves - suspect this would be a big issue esp the rotating knobs, yes the front one on my example slips a little but not a big issue - snorkelling and changing settings while in the water do not mix at least not for me - set, forget chase fish!

One big issue I have is misting of inside of housing lens. I strongly suspect this is not a fault of my housing rather a combination of very high ambient humidity and high air / water temperature. Lens mists up after say 15 / 30 mins of being in the water and camera is not usable. If I put it in the shade (not having opened case) after few minutes mist clears but reappears after being in the sun / water. Any cure suggestions? Think pro scuba divers use a gell in housings but this will be difficult to obtain here.

Last point am using an Eye Fi mobi card so that I do not have to open housing while on beach / dive boat - works well with my iPad - read the prod description though as does have limitations.

John

John356's gear list:John356's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Re: cheaper on ebay?

Yes. Thant's the one I've got at home.

It is very good quality, same quality as the housings you can by for ex. from Canon.

The only thing you can't use is the wheel controller. But as it is always the same function as the controller around the lens, this isn't a problem.

Mark K

Sir Thom wrote:

WB-Trick:

Someome mentioned to take a picture of a grey card befor the actual picture. I tried it...and in Lightroom I synced the WB - well, it worked but not really good...the white balance is much more accurate the "original" way and use jpg.

So, my only trick by now is to put WB on the left button. Then it's a 4 Step routine: Left, down, shutter (on greycard), ok. I'd prefer it quicker, but it works.

I carry a 67mm white lens cap for protection and for underwater white balancing. It is a great idea but having two strobes and enough light, colours are more accurate:-D

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K
Re: Tried it out

JohnBuoy wrote:

First of all thanks for all on this site who found and tested the RX100 Meikon housing -- am a snorkeler who had very mixed results with compact waterproofs (TX5 and D20) but was put off by cost of branded housings. As per others general comments pleased with the quality of mine and note fasteners appear to be stainless but not sure about the non hot hot shoe - "tripod" plate looks like stainless. Company aside from not main stream appears to take product seriously i.e. very cautious detailed care instructions. In use no probs but see below, I live now in Asia so no need for gloves - suspect this would be a big issue esp the rotating knobs, yes the front one on my example slips a little but not a big issue - snorkelling and changing settings while in the water do not mix at least not for me - set, forget chase fish!

One big issue I have is misting of inside of housing lens. I strongly suspect this is not a fault of my housing rather a combination of very high ambient humidity and high air / water temperature. Lens mists up after say 15 / 30 mins of being in the water and camera is not usable. If I put it in the shade (not having opened case) after few minutes mist clears but reappears after being in the sun / water. Any cure suggestions? Think pro scuba divers use a gell in housings but this will be difficult to obtain here.

Last point am using an Eye Fi mobi card so that I do not have to open housing while on beach / dive boat - works well with my iPad - read the prod description though as does have limitations.

John

I always put some bags of moist absorbers or simply rolls of tissue paper inside the housing, if I shoot near surface like this one

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Re: It is Meikon

I have finally finished that review of the Meikon-42 housing I've been promising for so long.

The review was approved and published yesterday here on DPReview .

Apart from comparing it with other RX100 underwater housings I added some details about the RX100 II and the updated Meikon-42-01 housing too. It is not all text, there are pictures too

The review turned out to be quite a long one (8 pages!). Stubborn as I am sometimes, I finished what I promised. I wonder if I was simply nuts to spend so much time on that ... lol!

Mark K

lesnag2 wrote:

I have finally finished that review of the Meikon-42 housing I've been promising for so long.

The review was approved and published yesterday here on DPReview .

Apart from comparing it with other RX100 underwater housings I added some details about the RX100 II and the updated Meikon-42-01 housing too. It is not all text, there are pictures too

The review turned out to be quite a long one (8 pages!). Stubborn as I am sometimes, I finished what I promised. I wonder if I was simply nuts to spend so much time on that ... lol!

Thanks for the review

In fact there is an official site

http://www.meikon.cc/

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Thanks for the info. I've seen that site (or rather the address) before but it was always down (as it is now). I can see that Google had it cached on Sep 3rd so it must have been on in the mean time.

The links on Alibaba I gave in the review are reliable.

It's not the housing, it's the cam that "produces" the moisture.
I had that problem and I even put rice into the housing over night to get the very last drop of water out...bit it's another problem:

Let me guess: Your Camera is ON the whole dive...?
Just switch it of in between taking pictures. The inside of the housing will cool down (also the cam) and your problem is solved...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads