Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Any chance the RX100 w/ Franiec grip fits?

Definitely not unless you use something like the Grip Base that attaches by the tripod mount that you can easily remove.  The MeiKe case has a decent grip built into the housing.

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Chuck Holst New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Any chance the RX100 w/ Franiec grip fits?

No, but you can make a grip from two or more layers of black gaffer tape (available from Adorama). Just position the tape so it doesn't interfere with the front standoffs in the Meikon housing. Gaffer tape has a textured surface that can greatly improve the grip on the RX100.

Re: Bought a MeiKe RX100

Following your lead, I ordered the MeiKe housing from Divervision late on March 27, receiving it March 30. It is actually a Meikon housing, as printed on the retail box, manual, and neck strap. I have an A900 screen protector on my RX100, so I had to remove a small part of two rubber standoffs in the housing to make the camera fit properly; also, I had to shorten my gaffer-tape grip on the front of the camera to prevent interference with the front standoffs. That done, the camera fits properly, and all of the controls work without problem.

I had a little problem closing and latching the housing until I realized I had to start with the latch nearly in a closed position, not wide open.

The housing has nice ribbed finger and thumb grips that work nicely under water, but are a little slippery when dry, so I covered them with more gaffer tape. I'm not sure how much the gaffer tape improves the grip in this instance, and I might remove it in the future.

As you noted, the RX100 screen is quite visible through the polycarbonate back. However, I am concerned that abrasion from rubbing against my PFD might dull the transparency of the housing without additional protection, so I placed a Fellowes WriteRight screen protector for my old Palm IIIxe over the viewing area. Though the surface of the screen protector has a slight orange peel texture, I was pleasantly surprised at how little it degraded the viewing image; nonetheless, I have ordered some Tech Armor HD screen protectors that I hope will work even better. Note that I plan to use the housing only when sea kayaking; I doubt that scratches would be visible underwater.

Another thing that could be improved is the drying time for the neck strap. My old Nikonos V camera has a solid strap that does not absorb water. The Meikon strap is nylon fabric, which holds enough water to require overnight drying. Unfortunately, the Nikonos strap is too thick to fit through the Meikon lugs, but I am thinking of experimenting with a new, narrower nylon strap made from a cat lead.

As noted, the housing with camera inside has positive buoyancy, floating diffuser end up. This is good for us kayakers, but divers will probably want to add a weight. Amazon has a screw-in weight designed for a Canon housing that might do the trick.

These minor cavils aside, I am pleased with the manufacturing, design, and handling of the Meikon housing, and am looking forward to using it this summer. Given all its features, it is a bargain.

everi New Member • Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new on forum.
I'm interested to buy an RX100 for underwater photography and I'd like to buy also a Meike housing.
From previous posts I understand that Meike has a good quality (for this price...).
Someone of you had experience with Meike MK-RX100 and wet lenses, macro or wide? I'd like to know if there are some vignetting issues.
Thank you very much.

I have no experience with wet lenses, nor do I intend to use the MeiKe/Meikon housing underwater. However, I can tell you that there is no vignetting above water when the RX100 is set at its widest angle of view; also, that the housing is threaded for 67mm accessories including wet lenses. For a list of accessories, see http://www.divervision.com/catalog/rx100-housing-for-sony-cyber-shot-rx100b-cameras-p-1939.html.

Robert Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 2,261
Got the Meike housing

Mine arrived today. Fits the camera well. All controls work. Will try it out tomorrow paddling whitewater river.

I added a Fast-cap  to the 67mm threads to keep water from splashing on the lens when on my kayak.  Still no vignetting.

Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more

I have a Fast-cap  on my MeiKe to prevent water droplets from hitting the lens when kayaking and it has not vignetting.  So I think you would be ok with the macro filters.

My Tech Armor HD screen protectors arrived, and I put one on my Meike/Meikon today. It's designed for a Galaxy S III, so I had to cut it down to a 2-5/8-inch length, but it went on easily and is crystal clear. You can hardly tell it's there. What's more, you get three per package for half what other manufacturers charge for one, so I have two spares.

The manufacturer's site seems to be the cheapest source:

http://www.techarmor.com/HD-Clear-SHOP-TECH/b/5485906011

Housing works really well

Got the Meike (Meikon) housing for the RX100. Took it on a whitewater kayaking trip yesterday. It worked really well. It fits the camera well and all of the controls are accessible. There was no vignetting. I was able to see the screen well enough to frame shots. I often shot one-handed. The housing feels like a DSLR with a nice grip only lighter.

I kept it tethered to my PFD  (life jacket) and tucked in the front of the PFD facing downward. This kept the lens clean and free of water drops for the most part. When I went over larger ledges where I was completely covered with water, I did sometimes get drops on the lens. I had attached a piece of chamois to the strap and it worked well to wipe the lens when needed.

I shot at ISO 200 all day and was able to keep the shutterspeed high enough to freeze the action and make up for my movement. I did keep the IS turned on.

There was no problem with flare even when shooting into the sun. Here are some samples from the trip:

Dave gets a face full at Riley's Rapid

Re: Housing works really well

Nice! Were any taken from a kayak?

The MeiKe/Meikon user score so far: one diver, one whitewater kayaker, two sea kayakers.

Chuck Holst wrote:

Nice! Were any taken from a kayak?

The MeiKe/Meikon user score so far: one diver, one whitewater kayaker, two sea kayakers.

Yes, the first two shots were taken from the kayak sitting in an eddy holding the camera one-handed and hanging onto a rock with the other hand.

Here are some 100% crops from images shot from the kayak:

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,365

Great....

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +69 more
BorisK1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644
Good for you! (nt)

No text.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5

Great Pics!  Nothing like an RX100 on the water.

I purchased a FastCap  for my MeiKe underwater case.  The 67mm ring fits well and forms a wrap around seal to keep water out.  Flips open quickly to take that great shot. No vignetting.

I have ordered one of those as well. Looks larger than I imagined on the housing.

It should help to keep water off of the lens. I wonder if it will cause fogging.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,365

I called MeiKe sales...and emailed him to see if he can help me

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +69 more

I used DiverVision.com.  They had it delivered in 4 days.

Looks big in the picture.  It does not really look that big on the housing when looking at it directly.

I also purchased from DiverVision.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads