How to change Recycle Bin location?

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions
davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
How to change Recycle Bin location?

Using Windows 7 and I want to change the recycle bin location from the C Drive to the E Drive.

Having Googled the question the Microsoft help seems to say that as I have multiple hard drives there will be a Recycle Bin on each hard drive.
If this is the case how do I know which bin I'm looking at?

As far as I can tell if I delete something via Lightroom 4 it's going into the C Drive recycle bin, although the original pictures are stored on the E Drive.
Is this the case?

I would really like everything to go to a Recycle Bin on the E Drive as my C Drive is quite small and full and it's pretty easy for the Recycle Bin to use up a few GBs of space.

I don't really want to delete stuff in my Recycle Bin on exit (if that's an option) as I sometimes realise a week or so later that something has been recycled by accident.
Thanks for advice.
--
David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
carl english
carl english Veteran Member • Posts: 9,182
Re: How to change Recycle Bin location?

If you right click on bin then properties you have a list of all your drives, it seems (never tried) you can select a drive for bin then apply. Of course you would then lose bin on C drive.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276

You can change as Carl mentioned but every drive will appear to have its own Recycle Bin but in reality - it will only be a link to the actual RB. There is only ever one of them but for some reason, Windoze (all versions) seems to insist on making it seem each drive has its own - they don't - it's just like a shortcut reference.

In the same way, it is a good idea to have the Pagefile on a separate drive (well, partition on another drive to C) and also to change the Environment Variables to move the Temp and Internet Temp files off the C drive too and if you use such as Photoshop - change the location of its Primary Scratch Disc to a drive/partition different to that being used for the Pagefile.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

Brad99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

Quoting from sevenforums.....

" There is no reason to move the Recycle Bin. When files are deleted they are not moved nor a write operation performed. The MFT is updated with a "pending" delete thus appears then in the Recycle Bin by Windows Explorer. There is no disk operations other then updating the MFT."

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,992
I don't think you can

Recycled files for any particular drive are held on that drive. Windows doesn't actually move files when you delete them - it simply removes the directory entry and creates an entry for the deleted file in a "recycle bin" directory. You can turn off the recycle bin for a drive - and then files get deleted immediately when you delete them (i.e. they don't go into a recycle bin).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,709
Better to get a bigger C: drive

C Drive is quite small and full.

Get a bigger one, they are cheap.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Jen Yates Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

You're entirely missing the point on what a recycle bin is for...

moving something into the recycle bin is a quick act as it's not having to move every byte of data just flag that the file location has changed.

If you want to free up space then stop using the recycle bin, just move your files from C: to E:FilesIWantToDeleteSoon.

Attempting to get windows to copy every deleting file to a the trash of a different drive is not the solution for running out of drive space.

You have three real solutions:

1) Optimise your use of available space (Keep less crap, uninstall apps you don't use, audit your data use etc etc)

2) Buy a larger HD / SSD

3) Move some data off of the C drive (Even apps can be installed on other drives)

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,620
The recycle bin is not a "place"

As others have indicated, the recycle bin is not actually a "Place" that can be moved. It is actually a record of files that have been deleted on that particular drive, and of where the pieces are located in case you decide to undelete them. And, the file system is kept from overwriting those pieces until they take up more than a specified amount of space, or until you remove them from the recycle bin.

So if you disable the recycle bin for a particular drive, you are really just stopping the file system from keeping track of deleted files for that drive. You can tell it to keep track of a smaller amount of deleted files.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
Re: The recycle bin is not a "place"

Thanks everyone for their advice. I follow what everyone is saying but am still confused!

My C drive is an 80GB SSD drive and only has programs on it and no data. And I thought it had the recycle bin also.

All my data is on the E Drive, and there is a similar F drive that I use for backups.

If I delete a gigabyte of photographs on the E Drive via Lightroom the remaining space on the C Drive reduces by a gigabyte and the files to delete show in the Recycle Bin.

That's what I'm pretty sure happens, though I can't test to verify until tomorrow. I'll also check whether the available space on the E drive increases by a gigabyte.

Is it the case that this isn't really happening but Windows is pretending its happening in a kind of virtual sense?

As far as getting a larger SSD C Drive I though of that and was told it works out at about £1 a gigabyte, which is OK. What I thought though was that I'd have to reload Windows and all the program's and it would be a pain I'd hold off doing until absolutely necessary. In fairness this may not happen as I can't think of any additional program's I'll need during the likely life of this PC.
Thanks.
--
David

Sony a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +1 more
lemon_juice Contributing Member • Posts: 772

davidevans1 wrote:

Thanks everyone for their advice. I follow what everyone is saying but am still confused!

My C drive is an 80GB SSD drive and only has programs on it and no data. And I thought it had the recycle bin also.

All my data is on the E Drive, and there is a similar F drive that I use for backups.

If I delete a gigabyte of photographs on the E Drive via Lightroom the remaining space on the C Drive reduces by a gigabyte and the files to delete show in the Recycle Bin.

That's what I'm pretty sure happens, though I can't test to verify until tomorrow. I'll also check whether the available space on the E drive increases by a gigabyte.

This certainly can't be true. As others have said if you delete files on E drive then they remain in the recycle bin on the E drive, Windows never moves files to other disks when deleting to the recycle bin. So your C drive is unaffected by that operation. Also, the available space on E drive does not change until you delete those files from the recycle bin.

-- hide signature --

Michal.

OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,566

Everyone's right and I'm wrong, sorry! I realise now that the free space changes constantly, presumably depending on what the PC is doing and has been doing since start-up.

I used it this morning and at the end of the session had 8.76GB free, re-started it and have 9.88GB free. It must have been these fluctuations that I'd mistaken for emptying the Recycle Bin.

lemon_juice wrote:

davidevans1 wrote:

This certainly can't be true. As others have said if you delete files on E drive then they remain in the recycle bin on the E drive, Windows never moves files to other disks when deleting to the recycle bin. So your C drive is unaffected by that operation. Also, the available space on E drive does not change until you delete those files from the recycle bin.

-- hide signature --

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads