Image numbers & shutter actuation's don't match.

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions
WSteveP
WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Image numbers & shutter actuation's don't match.

Interesting situation I just downloaded and ran EOS Info on my 40D in preparation to sell the camera.

EOS Info tells me that my camera has had 6619 shutter actuation's. However that last photo taken has a larger number (IMG_6623).

I would understand if my last photo had a smaller number but a larger one?

Can anyone explain this conundrum?

Cheers
Steve

WSteveP's gear list:WSteveP's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: Image numbers & shutter actuation's don't match.

Off by a total of 4? Not worth the worry......

-- hide signature --

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,863
ever use WB Auto Bracketing?

WB Auto Bracketing writes 3 files (numbered sequentially) from 1 shutter actuation. So the file numbering will be greater than the number of shutter actuations.

WSteveP wrote:

Interesting situation I just downloaded and ran EOS Info on my 40D in preparation to sell the camera.

EOS Info tells me that my camera has had 6619 shutter actuation's. However that last photo taken has a larger number (IMG_6623).

I would understand if my last photo had a smaller number but a larger one?

Can anyone explain this conundrum?

Cheers
Steve

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
WSteveP
OP WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

I didn't say I was worried, just curious.
--
http://www.pbase.com/hangman/galleries

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
WSteveP
Re: ever use WB Auto Bracketing?

I do seem to remember experimenting with auto-bracketing one time. That would explain three of the four. Thanks for that.

Cheers
steve

WSteveP
Well duh...

It just hit me...

This explains all four if I tried auto-bracketing twice. That actual shot numbers plus the two extras for each auto-bracketing shot.

Thanks once again.
Steve

WSteveP wrote:

I do seem to remember experimenting with auto-bracketing one time. That would explain three of the four. Thanks for that.

Cheers
steve

mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 656

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I find out how many shutter actuations I've used (on a 50D)?

I know I've been round the clock several times but can't recall how many - probably about five times I guess. Just curious.

Thanks
Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Fujifilm X-T10 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189

I believe that this program has been tested and most agree that it is giving fairly accurate data...

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

John

-- hide signature --

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

bluestreakrem Regular Member • Posts: 144

I have a 7D and was trying to use this download. When I open the short cut, I get a message error of "Unhandled exception". This happens if I open the short cut with or without the camera turned on.

Any ideas why it will not work?

OhioBob Regular Member • Posts: 406

I used this site to shutter count on my 7D.
http://eoscount.com/

OhioBob's gear list:OhioBob's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Mike Engles Regular Member • Posts: 315

Hello

My last 5D2 file is just short of 20000, but EOSinfo states the order of 26000.
I cannot reconcile this. Canon refuses to do a shutter cout even if you pay.

Mike Engles

OhioBob wrote:

Anyone else used this program before?

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233

bluestreakrem wrote:

OhioBob wrote:

I used it on my 7D and it worked just fine. Results were similar to what I got with the Linux program.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +2 more
photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871

bluestreakrem wrote:

OhioBob wrote:

And did you pay the $1.49 cost each time you run it ????

-- hide signature --
 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 656

Thanks for all your advice, but the bottom line is that the only way of finding out the number of shutter actuation is with 3rd party software which some feel to be flakey or inaccurate.

I though it might be something I could access via the camera menus, or through a Canon utility, but it seems not. It begs the question why isn't this info readily available?

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Fujifilm X-T10 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
OhioBob Regular Member • Posts: 406

Never saw where anyone asked for money.

OhioBob's gear list:OhioBob's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
photojohne Contributing Member • Posts: 871

OhioBob wrote:

go to eoscount and download, try to run - it takes you to a page where they want money to actually get the shutter count and it will not work until you pay

-- hide signature --
 photojohne's gear list:photojohne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,650

photojohne wrote:

OhioBob wrote:

go to eoscount and download, try to run - it takes you to a page where they want money to actually get the shutter count and it will not work until you pay

No need to download anything. Connect camera, go to eoscount.com. It runs from the website.

asad137 Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Mike Engles wrote:

My last 5D2 file is just short of 20000, but EOSinfo states the order of 26000.
I cannot reconcile this. Canon refuses to do a shutter cout even if you pay.

Do you use Live View a lot? Each enter/exit Live View cycle counts as one shutter actuation (unless the 5D2 can use an electronic first curtain).

Mark B. wrote:

photojohne wrote:

OhioBob wrote:

No need to download anything. Connect camera, go to eoscount.com. It runs from the website.

Yes it will run from the website............. but you have to pay before the shutter count is revealed. I'm leary of entering my credit card number.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads