Some shots of me and my friend with Sigma 85mm f1.4 on a D3s

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions
Jeffo50 Regular Member • Posts: 260
Some shots of me and my friend with Sigma 85mm f1.4 on a D3s

Its my first Sigma lens and i am very impressed with it, and AF speed is pretty nippy.

I'm pretty sure that it was better than the Nikon 85mm 1.4 ais manual lens that I sold, a few years ago.

Here are a handful of shots taken with it.

Bearing in mind that i am quite new to portraiture work, and have been practicing with my 2 speed light setup, on certain shots.

Hope you enjoy them!

Could have done with some hair light on her

My friend Cindy holds her Canon like a baby. lol

i just love the bokeh that this lens give out

A silly self shot of myself

Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lim yau tong
lim yau tong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,840
Excellent shots..

Very sharp even wide open. I like the BOKEH. Strong skill and good lens/camera.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +33 more
William DIllard Senior Member • Posts: 2,492
Re: Excellent shots.. I agree

All very nice and the close up in black n white in particular !

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Re: Some shots of me and my friend with Sigma 85mm f1.4 on a D3s

Was that the NIKON 85 1.4G that you did not like so much ? If so I am surprised because I was under the impression that the Nikon was the best of the 85 1.4 lenses.

OP Jeffo50 Regular Member • Posts: 260

Hello,

It was the Nikon 85mm 1.4 Manual that i didn't bond as well as with the Sigma 85mm 1.4 af. having autofocus was a big yes, for me and i can work faster, depending on my shoot.

But i couldn't afford the Nikon 85mm 1.4G at this moment in time.

I'm going to get this lens because of these photos of yours !

Good one!

Even without the light post processing that I did to these photos, it really surprised me with what it delivered.

I was worried about the reviews and comments that i read about this lens, but once I shot and saw the results of this sigma, i decided that it was a keeper. And thats coming from someone who's used to shooting with Nikon Pro Lens and quite fussy.

Enjoy!

Kweide
Kweide Senior Member • Posts: 1,787

N°1 is my fav.... great composition

see more of my work on http://www.klaweide.de ( some NSFW )

Kweide's gear list:Kweide's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
lnguyenh Contributing Member • Posts: 685

The pictures are ok, but I think they are a bit unimaginative and boring.

My favorite is maybe the first one where you can see somewhat of an attitude. But it could also be just the look of a friend who finds you funny when you take the picture. Usually picture of people holding cameras are very "cliché" to me. The two indoor color shots seem very flat to me.

You own great gear. I think you can try to challenge your creativity more. Move your beauty dish. Try things. Behind the subject, very close. Play with the inverse square law. Make your model act, do stuff.

lnguyenh wrote:

The pictures are ok, but I think they are a bit unimaginative and boring.

My favorite is maybe the first one where you can see somewhat of an attitude. But it could also be just the look of a friend who finds you funny when you take the picture. Usually picture of people holding cameras are very "cliché" to me. The two indoor color shots seem very flat to me.

You own great gear. I think you can try to challenge your creativity more. Move your beauty dish. Try things. Behind the subject, very close. Play with the inverse square law. Make your model act, do stuff.

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree, from an experienced portraits shooter, point of view, the shots are boring and uninmaginative.

That's because at around the time of shooting those photos, i only had two weeks worth of portrait experience with my new basic studio setup. no previous knowledge of flash light setup and pose skills. lol

but since, I 've put my head down and learned much more in a very short space of time.

Thanks.

Re: Not boring !

I think the point is the lens and he demonstrated that in a convincing way. Besides that he is out on a walk with his girlfriend and generally speaking that means casual types of photos to be taken and in the context of that the pictures are excellent.

checkmate91 Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Not boring !

+1 but they could do with the odd smile

checkmate91's gear list:checkmate91's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads